OT: Vray VS Maxwell

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2006   #1
OT: Vray VS Maxwell

Just found this. The registration is free

http://www.treddi.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16020

Old 01 January 2006   #2
I notice that the little back room (on top of the stairs) is not illuminated in any of the Vray tests. Also, the light on the floor is more yellow on the Vray images. Does anyone know how to remedy for those two matters ? (I am new to Vray)

Thanks

Old 01 January 2006   #3
Originally Posted by ThomasAn.: I notice that the little back room (on top of the stairs) is not illuminated in any of the Vray tests.

It is, but not as much. And the vRay shadow shapes are a bit more rounded. Otherwise, the illumination is remarkably similar. I also noticed the yellow right away. It does not seem to make the bounced light look different as you would expect if the sunlight were more yellow.

That guy has put some serious time and effort into those tests.

Thomas--are you a Cinema user, or did you stumble in here because of the thread title? We C4Ders are not on the list (yet?) of vRay connected persons.

Old 01 January 2006   #4
Originally Posted by Ernest Burden: are you a Cinema user, or did you stumble in here ...

Yeah, I am in the wrong place... the topic came up in a Vray search. I am too green on vray so anything helps.

But I think the illumination is different... the back room and yellow light bother me quite a bit... However, Vray is very flexible ... there should be a way to remedy this. I suspect possibly to boost the multiplier for the secondary engine to about 1.5 or so. I have noticed in my tests that Vray light falls off faster than expected. (...and it has not to do with gamma adjastment).

Anyway, sorry for interloping.

Old 01 January 2006   #5
The yellow sunlight is because of the HSV exponential color mapping in the V-Ray image, while maxwell typically applies only some slight gamma correction (in total about 1.375 with default settings). This is why the burnt out areas look white in maxwell and yellow in V-Ray (V-Ray preserves their original hue).

Old 01 January 2006   #6
Originally Posted by ThomasAn.: I have noticed in my tests that Vray light falls off faster than expected. (...and it has not to do with gamma adjastment).
Here is a discussion on V-Ray light falloff, which demonstrates that is behaves as expected: http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/php...ht+decay#110398

Old 01 January 2006   #7
Originally Posted by thev: Here is a discussion on V-Ray light falloff, which demonstrates that is behaves as expected: http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/php...ht+decay#110398

Hi, Vlado, will there be a Vray-C4D connection when Vray 1.5 standalone releases ?

Old 01 January 2006   #8
who would buy vray seriously (its abou799.-)?

it is possible for sure;-)

cheers
stefan

Old 01 January 2006   #9
Well, maybe it would convince some archviz people from Max-Vray to switch to C4d if their render engine would be supported by C4d.
as for the C4d users, well a lot of people who were looking for a better Gi solution have bought FR, or MR, or both ( myself included),
and I would really expect Maxon to be hard at work making some much needed updates for the Render engine.
So I don#t know how big of a market Vray would be looking at,
however it would be great if they ported it, the more solutions are available, the better it is for the end-user

Old 01 January 2006   #10
it would be definitly positive for all, there are a lot of people not so happy with max, but they need the renderengines.

stefan

Old 01 January 2006   #11
Originally Posted by lllab: who would buy vray seriously (its abou799.-)?
And maxwell is $999 (when it's released)...

Old 01 January 2006   #12
Originally Posted by thev: And maxwell is $999 (when it's released)...

this is pretty much the same price range ( FR is in there too), and is rather irrelevent I think if the software is used for production; the 200 are not what would make me personlly choose a render solution

To me, it would have to be a very stable release, and not a cirkus show like the M~R release has been so far. Chaos seems like a serious company in that regard though.

I will not go near M~R for a long time, I do not approve of their way of handling customers ( i know, old subject)

Old 01 January 2006   #13
Originally Posted by lllab: who would buy vray seriously (its abou799.-)?

it is possible for sure;-)

cheers
stefan

I think Vray would have a serious market with C4D users. Don't forget that there are a lot of people doing archviz images with c4d, that's a big customer base. Another big customer base is the Mograph people, who would surely be using such tool.
Me think it could be good for Vray if it were to swim toward us

Old 01 January 2006   #14
I agree, although there's probably less money to be made than there was before fR-2 and M~R. I'm sure we'll see a plugin sometime after their standalone application is out.

What's suprising to be is that Splutterfish and Chaos are both putting in the effort to jam a complex render engine into Rhino--which really isn't set up for this--but ignoring Cinema, which is perfectly set up for this.

Old 01 January 2006   #15
Originally Posted by fluffouille: Me think it could be good for Vray if it were to swim toward us

There was a guy at their Siggraph booth supposedly working on a C4D link. supposedly... I saw him there, hunched over a laptop...

Thread Closed share thread