Cartoony game animations

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2006
Cartoony game animations ( resized to 24mb! )

I`ll be the first to say that this demo is by no means on a par with any of the great shorts that I often see posted up here... but its about time I put something online... so what the hell.

Most of the work is stuff I've done for games, but theres a bit of personal work on there too ( all the lipsync stuff ). It was all done in Maya, and all the rigging and animation setup was my responsibility too. All the game content is current-gen.

I know this is the token disclaimer with most work posted here... but some of this stuff is quite old ( I'm not at liberty to post any Ubisoft stuff at this point ) and trust me I can see all the pops and errors along the way. I suppose my reasoning for showing this online is to get a bit of constructive critisism...

primary mirror:

http://www.foofinu.com/CameronFielding_Demo05.zip ( right click - save as )

( thanks to my friend Ric Lico over at Monolith Productions, check his awesome site too www.foofinu.com )

you can also try here:

http://www.fluentmotion.co.uk/Camer...ding_Demo05.zip

(sorry to everyone who had trouble with the the previous upload )

well... looking forward to any crit or questions you might have !

cam.

Last edited by Winner : 02 February 2006 at 03:05 AM.

01 January 2006
Dude I'm not sure why you're excusing your work because that was a fantastic reel!

Even excluding your recent animations, you've got an amazing portfolio.

Keep up the phenominal work...5 stars from me, since this reel is destined for the frontpage!

....that being said....the lipsync on the blue head is a bit off in most of the shots he's in. I can't pinpoint whether he's just coming in late on the phenomes or whether he's just not pronouncing the words correctly but it looks awkward. Also, I'd start the reel with the bird lipsync (the one you've posted a screenshot of here), since in my opinion that's your strongest piece.

01 January 2006
ahhh... ain't nothin' like a fresh dose of animation to refresh an uninspired soul!

agreed with the lip sync... feels too snappy... but still very well executed!

5 stars my goonie friend!

-rj

01 January 2006
Thumbs up

wow, this was very inspiring,
i loved the walkcycles on duffy and the lip sync (apart from the fact that its a bit off)..
i think its very significant reel that shows that you know what youre doing..
keep up this exellent work and thx for sharing

01 January 2006
You've got some lovely toony animation in there, great work

01 January 2006
Thanks guys. comments noted on the lipsync - these were my first attempts at this, and man is there a lot to learn! I remember concentrating on trying to get good solid mouth shapes that `look like the sound`..... I tried 2 different techniques when doing this:

The little boy with the long hair has lots of shapes that hold for 2 or 3 frames ( a kind of `wallace and gromit` way of doing it ) and I think this works well to emphasize certain sounds - but on the whole it looks a bit `stuttery` ... the blue guy is a kind of `smoothed` version of this, whereas the chicken is my latest attempt and I went for much smoother and less linear movements which seems to work best overall ( but he still holds shapes for a few frames, but all the holds move )

anyway thanks for clearing this up guys - i will spend extra effort next time getting the speech timing perfect.

01 January 2006
Amazing reel!

very inspiring! i hope you keep posting your work here, it's hilarious!!

Congrats men
five stars for me
venomgfx

01 January 2006
Been trying to watch it all day, when I download the file it tells me its not a movie file? and when I open it in explorer it breaks... :(

Any mirrors?

Ranimate

01 January 2006
Excellent stuff, no complaints from me. congrats to you and your fellow artists

01 January 2006
thanks everyone...

I'm not sure what the problem is Ranimate - Im pretty certain it might need quicktime 7 to play ?

01 January 2006
really great work. I love it, it just have something... especialy bird, all those nice details..
great stuff!

Need some help with rendering an Redshift project?
http://www.gpuoven.com/

01 January 2006
Yup the bird was great and the duffy animation was superb, actually all the animation was great it's just duffy is funny . Great reel, nothing to add except what was already told about the timing for lipsync.

01 January 2006
lol everyones starting calling him `Duffy` .... its Daffy Duck ! come on people !!

yeah Daffy was fun ... it was important that all his movements were very broad and readable - and funny too - we had a target audience of 7-12 for that title.

01 January 2006
Unhappy download issues

ello

I'm getting the same error as Ranimate. The file stops downloading at 10mb, sometimes more.
When i try opening it, i get the same error that its not a movie file etc. The pics look great, but i'd like to see them in action Maybe it could get mirrored?

Cheers

Edit: Originally tried to download in Firefox 1.5, tried again in IE, received a "server timed out" error @ 18.5 MB.

Last edited by markorapaic : 01 January 2006 at 07:22 AM. Reason: update

01 January 2006
Actually I'm getting the same error as Ranimate and Ferocitas. My file stopped at 35 mb and seems to think that the file is done downloading. I'm using firefox 1.5.

Thread Closed share thread