Message from Apple to Microsoft

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2006
Message from Apple to Microsoft

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/...ives/101116.asp

01 January 2006
this is news... how?

01 January 2006
Tell Seattle PI and Google News that.

Last edited by Saurus : 01 January 2006 at 12:19 AM.

01 January 2006
Originally Posted by Saurus: Tell Seattle PI and Google News that.

steve jobs pondering competition in the audio playback device market isnt relevant to CGTalk.

01 January 2006
Originally Posted by opus13: steve jobs pondering competition in the audio playback device market isnt relevant to CGTalk.

And where's your opinion post on Message from Apple to Dell thread?

If you’re talking CG news, them you might as well delete half of thread posted on CG News.

01 January 2006
Originally Posted by opus13: steve jobs pondering competition in the audio playback device market isnt relevant to CGTalk.

I would take the opposite view. The goings-on in the portable music player market may seem irrelevant to CG, but it will likely have an enormous, even catastrophic effect on the film and TV business.

You've got about 5 major players jostling for position.... Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Apple, Sony. They want to control online distribution of digital content.

I can tell you that these players will obliterate the traditional television networks around the world. It's "check mate" for them, and they won't survive in their current state.

This stuff is news, and it is relevant to CG.

Control the media and you control the people

01 January 2006
Beamtracer - How exactly does an mp3 player affect television? I can't make the connection, was hoping you could elaborate.

I recently took a look at podcasts and discovered they have absolutely nothing to do with ipods. If that is what you are referring to, then it's the fancy new video codecs that are putting the film/tv industry in jeopardy, not mp3 players.

01 January 2006
Originally Posted by kiaran: Beamtracer - How exactly does an mp3 player affect television? I can't make the connection, was hoping you could elaborate.

Portable music players are starting to support video.

iTunes is now becoming a vehicle for digital media distribution on both the audio and the video level. I believe the same will soon start happening with MTV/Microsoft Urge service.

While the portable media device industry isn't going to have an effect on the TV and movie business to the extent that Beamtracer stated. It will have an effect due to device integration, but not catastrophic.

Tycrid Platform Technologies Inc.

01 January 2006
Originally Posted by kiaran: Beamtracer - How exactly does an mp3 player affect television? I can't make the connection, was hoping you could elaborate.

Hi Kiaran,

It's all about content. Each of the companies I listed above wants to be a major player in the delivery of paid content.

Right now its feasible to deliver audio files over the net. As the internet bandwidth into peoples' homes increases, we'll see more and more video delivered in the same way.

Recently we saw Google form and alliance with CBS (US TV network) to deliver content this way, while ABC and NBC are dealing with Apple. These are just early days. The picture size is small, and not everyone wants to watch video on a small screen.

But bandwidth increases every year, and the picture quality of downloaded video will increase.

What is your local TV station doing? What is your video store doing? These businesses are just "middle men"... distributing content from the program supplier to you. In the new world order they won't be required.

Control the media and you control the people

Last edited by Beamtracer : 01 January 2006 at 08:24 AM.

01 January 2006
sounds like jobs is just taking his chance to go "na nany poo poo" while sounding benevolent

01 January 2006
What's going to happen is that Microsoft is going to have to get into the hardware business of making MP3 players.

I can't believe this statement was made... Microsoft doesn't even need to do that!! It already did!! They have one, called "PC", and another one, called "PDA". How can Appled miss the big picture so bad??

I do agree this will have an impact on not only CG, but every type of media known to man. Electronic media is non-discriminatory, just due to its very nature. The fact that the battle was started in the music turf is coincidental (alright... not coincidental, but 'consequental'). This is going to become very big. Winner will take all. It's electronic distribution we're talking about here. We can already see dust rising in the DRM ring. I do believe this will be the "battel of the century".

On a more presonal line, I do dread the thought of Sony gaining any sort of upper hand. We've all seen what they're willing to do to win... I have personally stopped buying ANY Sony products (and I'm about to buy a new TV... LG/Samsung, here I come!). Call me exagerated, but if they're gonna use every dollar I give them to do the stuff they've been doing... nah. These are interesting times, but as in all fights, there will be collateral damage. And in these case, the ones standing in the lines to take are us... consumers.

(DRM... ouch!!)

01 January 2006
The ipod relates to CG the same way the psp and all the over content players relate. Federator I think was the first of many companies to start offering animated shorts for these devices. As more companies try to get into the game... heck just figure out the game the more these smaller companies will start hunting for new cg content to offer their subscribers. We are on a cusp of a portible media explosion. The first out there with a decent player will win in the long run. Apple's ipod and itunes seems to be such a device.

So yeah it is very important how this all turns out...especially when itunes starts letting anyone distribute their shorts through them. imagine getting paid for your animated shorts.

01 January 2006
I have my pocket pc and I use it as a media player (podcasts, videos, movies and streams but i use my mp3 player for music since its smaller) and it's wonderful, I can watch what I want when I want and converting video for it is easy since you can use windows movie maker and it even has a preset for pocket pc.

I really don't see what the fuss is about with the ipod video I mean their are much better products out there that have been around longer.... but yea it is the future.

But I'm sure tv will still be around, sometimes its just nice to just sit down and let "fate" decide what you'll be watching...

So I'm not sure how this will affect things in the future but I'll be going with the flow....

Oh by the way beamtracer posting something helpful with out bashing MS? is this a sign of the apocolypse?

01 January 2006
if the news was actually "CG news" ; i guarantee we would not be arguing on its relevance here on cgtalk, but rather ther the news itself.

so no... it has nothing to do with computer graphics news.

i think this is in light of another "memo from jobs" thread posted a couple of days ago....

Quote: And where's your opinion post on Message from Apple to Dell thread?

If you’re talking CG news, them you might as well delete half of thread posted on CG News. Yesterday 07:26 PM

he gave u his opinion.... your thread about steve jobs market insights is asinine on a computer graphics board

01 January 2006
Originally Posted by Big Jay: imagine getting paid for your animated shorts.

now imagine everyone and their mama making shorts just to get paid... imagine a "tuurbo-squid-like" short film repository...

thats just a bad idea.

Thread Closed share thread