CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Softimage
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-17-2006, 04:51 AM   #1
mocaw
Foot in Mouth

Gideon Klindt
PDX, USA

Getting a different surface to appear inside of a Fast Simple SSS object.

I have a issue that is perplexing me with the included fast simple SSS shader. I have a fleshy object that has a horn in it that needs to grow out of the skin. I know I can group the two objects so that the light map sees each, but how do I get it so that when the object comes out it's the horn surface and not the skin surface?

I've tried using a distance based gradient on the SSS shaders diffuse, but that only gets the horns center. I've tried Ambient Occ shaders hooked up to different ports too, but that only works on the visable surface of an object.

Is this something that I should use a modeling operator such as slice polygons with two horns (one for each surface) instead of using the render tree solution? Do it in post?

I'm just wanting to know if there is a render tree solution before I using a modeling op or a post method on this.

Thanks,
Gideon

Old 01-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
bravmm
Expert
rob wu
3D Animator - Post Production
NL

what about creating passes? one for the skin and horn inside, one for the horn growing out of the skin. Some partitions with overrides and materials will do the trick I guess. The horn has to be a duplicate with different material offcourse

rob

Old 01-17-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
mocaw
Foot in Mouth

Gideon Klindt
PDX, USA

Yeah, I figure I'll just do it in post or with the slice op and to versions of the object. I was just wanting to know if anyone had managed to get a different material to show up inside of a fast simple SSS object.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
CiaranM
Know-it-All

portfolio
Ciaran Moloney
London, GB

Hello,
you should use the fastSSS split shader that can be found somewhere on this board or on xsibase.com. With this you can then use a weight map to control where the SSS effect will and will not be present.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
mocaw
Foot in Mouth

Gideon Klindt
PDX, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaranM
Hello,
you should use the fastSSS split shader that can be found somewhere on this board or on xsibase.com. With this you can then use a weight map to control where the SSS effect will and will not be present.

So how would I use this with an animated object? Sorry...I'm just not sure how I'd get the proper effect with a weight map on a subdivided mesh that isn't that dense...

Old 01-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
mocaw
Foot in Mouth

Gideon Klindt
PDX, USA

Found a cheap quick solution...but not always the most practical!

You hide your SSS object (in this case a horn) inside of the non SSS object. Simply scale the object by the normals so that it is slightly smaller than the non SSS object. The light map will not see the non SSS grouped object, and the camera will only see the non SSS object! Works great...but adds geometry and complexity to a scene...but it does work.

If it needs to be animated you can just parent the inner object to the outer one...

Old 01-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread