New Teaser for Happy Feet

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2006   #1
New Teaser for Happy Feet

http://engeland.us/elijah/layout/sp...feet_teaser.MOV

Enjoy.

Old 01 January 2006   #2
It's not completly new. It is the same teaser/preview that is playing in IMAX 3D. The only difference is the title at the end.

Old 01 January 2006   #3
Awful. Absolutely awful. Looks like some crappy mime in a penguin suit.

Bleh.

Total waste of good money. But hey, don't let that stop anyone from watching it and rot their brain.

Old 01 January 2006   #4
There. That felt good.

Old 01 January 2006   #5
I am gonna happily rot my brain then!

Cheers
Solo

The stone had skidded arc'd and bloomed into islands
Kamau Brathwaite

Old 01 January 2006   #6
Originally Posted by Solothores: I am gonna happily rot my brain then!

Agreed, I think this looks excellent and am really looking forward to it.

Old 01 January 2006   #7
more happy brain rotting here.

Last edited by EpShot : 01 January 2006 at 12:15 AM. Reason: dain bramage

Old 01 January 2006   #8
I am gonna happily rot my brain while knocking my happy feet against it! So there!

I hope this film does well...another feature animation is ALWAYS good for this industry.

Old 01 January 2006   #9
How charming. It looks good, time will tell if it is good. I hope it is.

On a VFX Hiatus

Old 01 January 2006   #10
Im looking forward to this...

its nice to see a trailer that doesnt give away the plot, yet makes me want to see more just to see what its about.

And man, that scenery looks friggen awesome.

Anyone know who is doing this flick???

-Brad

Old 01 January 2006   #11
Originally Posted by musicraker: Anyone know who is doing this flick???

-Brad

I think Animallogic in Aus did it.

Yep, looks like it. http://www.animallogic.com/news/index.html

Old 01 January 2006   #12
Originally Posted by musicraker: its nice to see a trailer that doesnt give away the plot

i thought it was akin to lord of the dance on ice. no joke. i saw the teaser teh first time around and didnt think tere was actually a story to it, just songs and dances.

Old 01 January 2006   #13
Originally Posted by vrljc: I am gonna happily rot my brain while knocking my happy feet against it! So there!

I hope this film does well...another feature animation is ALWAYS good for this industry.

To be perfectly honest, I don't necessarily agree. Today, it almost feels like there's a severe case of CG diarrhoea. Sure this generates in the short term a lot of jobs and revenue, but in the long term I'm afraid people are going to grow sick of seeing, all the time, the same stories and shiny eyecandy and shoddy plots. As if studios feel that they don't have to make GOOD movies any more, because it al looks sooooooo darn cool. Which unfortunately I don't think it does, even. And why bother if that goes down with the people anyway? I just think it's a really sloppy and easy way of doing things. And I find it -personally- mindnumbingly boring. Hopefully this will not lead to people not being able to take animation the least bit seriously any more. Already it is looked at as "something for the kids"... and NOT because it's cute and colourful, but there's not much in it - both in terms of content and visuals - to challenge the mind, is there? While IMHO animation is one of the most potentially powerful media on the planet.

But then again, I realise there's a lot of work by a lot of people involved in this and I do respect that. I just find it a bit sad that all that is being spent on something that seems so hollow...

Old 01 January 2006   #14
Originally Posted by opus13: i thought it was akin to lord of the dance on ice. no joke. i saw the teaser teh first time around and didnt think tere was actually a story to it, just songs and dances.
Into the world of the Emperor Penguins, who find their soul mates through song, a penguin is born who cannot sing. But he can tap dance something fierce!

>>> IMDB Link <<<

My impression from the trailer and plot summary is that the movie will be an uplifting story about a character overcoming their handicaps. About how it can not only be OK to be different from others, but how that difference can sometimes lead to success. Sounds like the kind of movie that will appeal to all but the most jaded and sour.

Originally Posted by PieterVH: ....Sure this generates in the short term a lot of jobs and revenue, but in the long term I'm afraid people are going to grow sick of seeing, all the time, the same stories and shiny eyecandy and shoddy plots...
Kind of like how people have gotten so tired of all those old 2D animations because they grew sick of seeing 2D all the time?

P.S. You didn't even know the plot - yet you called it "shoddy"? You do not know the story, yet claim it is the same as all the other 3D movies?

Old 01 January 2006   #15
Originally Posted by slaughters: Kind of like how people have gotten so tired of all those old 2D animations because they grew sick of seeing 2D all the time?

Nope. Because the movies became crap and boring. 3D still has the novelty-advantage now. Once that's gone, who knows? 2D is far from dead by the way. Maybe for mainstream feature animation it might be off the radar for a while, but that doesn't mean it's some sort of lost art.

Originally Posted by slaughters: P.S. You didn't even know the plot - yet you called it "shoddy"? You do not know the story, yet claim it is the same as all the other 3D movies?

Penguins singing and tap dancing. Penguins. Singing and tap dancing. Why?? If you want to tell a story about being different using penguins, sure, go ahead, but why not start by exploring your subject instead of slapping some human characteristic on a creature that is convenient to construct in CG? Sounds like a gimmick, not a compelling story. And look at the darn thing. Rarely seen anything as lifeless as that. Apart from that Hoodwinked thing. Maybe.

Anyway, all of this is merely personal and my opinions are not necessarily those of others, but if that movie comes out and it turns out to be brilliant, I will go and see it 5 times and publicly invite you ALL to come spank my virtual butt. And you can quote me on that.

Thread Closed share thread