New Episodes for Matt Groening's FUTURAMA?? UPDATE!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2006   #1
New Episodes for Matt Groening's FUTURAMA?? UPDATE!

UPDATE:

"Peter Liguori, president, entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Co., told reporters he's leaving the door open to resurrecting the canceled SF animated series Futurama. Liguori, speaking in a news conference at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour in Pasadena, Calif., referred to the network's decision last year to bring back Family Guy after the show became a hit on DVD.

"There's no doubt that the Family Guy model worked outstandingly," Liguori said. "It's great to be a network exec and have a decision made for you by the audience."

Liguori added: "In terms of Futurama, there haven't really been any active negotiations at this point. But I'd be an ostrich to just stick my head in the dirt and not realize what's going on with Futurama as well." "

>>LINK<<

old post:
Quote:
"Talks have begun at 20th Century Fox TV to revive the animated skeinskein, which takes place in the next millennium, much in the same way "Family Guy""Family Guy" found new life after cancellation.
The studio is in early discussions to put "Futurama" back in production and create a limited number of episodes of the Emmy Award-winning skein -- although it's too soon to tell where those segs might end up. A reprep for 20th Century Fox TV declined comment."

>>LINK<<

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 01 January 2006 at 02:37 AM.

Old 01 January 2006   #2
I hope they bring back futurama...it was WAY better than simpsons.....

why did they cancel in in the first place?

Old 01 January 2006   #3
Holy crap.. I've read this "news" so many times now that find it very hard to trust.

But I really, really, really hope it's true this time!!

Futurama is one of the best animated series to date, had it been on any other network than Fox, it might've flourished still. Groening was forced to give up creative control, he refused so Fox kept airing it at odd times and with long periods of time between new episodes to lessen interest in the show, presumably in order to put leverage on Groening or ultimately to justify a canellation of the show entierly. If Futurama is picked up, it wont just mean more episodes of this terriffic series, but it means that Fox have lost a significant prestige battle, and that Groenings integrity is kept intact for all future, pretty much.

It would truly be a big day.

Old 01 January 2006   #4
Oh man...I can't wait for this. I still watch Futurama every night on Adult Swim. Seen them each like a dozen times but still cracks me up. Love it waaaaaaay more then the Simpsons. Fry rocks

Old 01 January 2006   #5
Originally Posted by Vivec: why did they cancel in in the first place?

because Matt Groening wanted to stop making the Simpsons and work on Futurama. but FOX can't let the Simpson's go and made Matt's decision easy for him. they setup Futurama to die...

-placing against 60 Minutes [highest watched show year after year]
-Sunday's at 7:00 [which means the east coast NEVER gets to see it because football games would ALWAYS run long and the would let the game run over Futurama]
-no advertising

you can also see Matt Groening's love for FOX executives in a lot of episodes during this time [Krusty's monkey throwing C4 explosives into the room where FOX executives where standing when Side Show Bob tried to kill Krusty]

Old 01 January 2006   #6
Originally Posted by kole: -Sunday's at 7:00 [which means the east coast NEVER gets to see it because football games would ALWAYS run long and the would let the game run over Futurama]
-no advertising

I remember one Sunday evening, Fox made a BFD about airing Star Wars TPM. It was on at 5pm, which meant it'd be over at 7pm. Instead of showing Futurama after Star Wars on its regular time, they pre-empted it and aired an episode of King of the Hill.

Old 01 January 2006   #7
That would be awesome, I love Futurama.

Old 01 January 2006   #8
Originally Posted by NanoGator: I remember one Sunday evening, Fox made a BFD about airing Star Wars TPM. It was on at 5pm, which meant it'd be over at 7pm. Instead of showing Futurama after Star Wars on its regular time, they pre-empted it and aired an episode of King of the Hill.

FOX did this allllll the time.

Old 01 January 2006   #9
Yes!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. I love Futurama.

Old 01 January 2006   #10
What really got me about Futurama was that it wasn't just gag-a-minute, it actually had some really genuinely touching moments. I defy anyone to watch the ending of the Jurassic Bark episode and not feel like crying.

Old 01 January 2006   #11
Originally Posted by Bonedaddy: What really got me about Futurama was that it wasn't just gag-a-minute, it actually had some really genuinely touching moments. I defy anyone to watch the ending of the Jurassic Bark episode and not feel like crying.

Everyone I know (including me) shed a few tears over the ending of that episode. I also loved Futuramas style of humour - it's really off-the-wall and not gag-based. It's actually witty and I find the characters really engaging.

Old 01 January 2006   #12
Originally Posted by Leigh: Everyone I know (including me) shed a few tears over the ending of that episode. I also loved Futuramas style of humour - it's really off-the-wall and not gag-based. It's actually witty and I find the characters really engaging.

I'm walking on sunshine!

*sniff*

Old 01 January 2006   #13
If they don't create new episodes, Fox can kiss my shiny metal ass!

I seriously hope it comes back. One of the best balanced animated comedy series ever.

- Benjamin

Old 01 January 2006   #14
Vote for Fturama

100!!001010101010
000!!000010101010
.-------.001010101
| (-)(-) |00..|..00
| .----. |000\ \ KISS MY SHINY METAL A**! I finally get some time to end myself and 0
0| ---- |____\_ \0 you SOBs want me to work again!! -
|001010|_______)0 no way man!!!
|001010|001010101
|001010|001010101
0-------001010101
0||00||0101010101
0||00||0101010101
0||00||0101010101
0||00||0101010101
0||00||0101010101
{_}1 {_}011010010

Bender STYLE!!!

This promo is Supported and funded by the Vote for Futurama Campain, the maltese Islands 20th Century Earth.

-------
Save water, Drink Beer!!!
Life: Sexually transmitted disease, 100% fatal.
-------

Last edited by pisano : 01 January 2006 at 11:25 PM.

Old 01 January 2006   #15
Bonedaddy and Leigh hit it right on the head. This show has more heart than just about any animated series around. You feel for the characters. the series ended just as it was getting even more amazing, story and character-wise. I hope they pick it up from where they left off if it does come back.

Thread Closed share thread