A rare trick..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2006
A rare trick..

I want to effectively create a video transition using Maya where a movie clip appears to turn into water vapors being sucked into a single point on the next clip. Almost as though you took a clip of someone spraying water from a squirt bottle and reversed it. I need suggestions.

If it's not possible to map a video clip onto the particles themselves then I can probably key it on in After Effects or Combustion...

So what I'm thinking is that I need enough particles to appear to be a solid surface to be pulled into a Newton Field or something of that nature. I'm not sure how to make this happen and I've tried creatting a particle grid and pulling it to the newton field but it gets pulled as though it were cloth and not individual particles.

Or if there were a way to create a particle emitter where the particles could form a flat plane that I could just run the clip in reverse.

Suggestsions???

Last edited by stowaway0 : 01 January 2006 at 04:09 PM.

01 January 2006
Emit from Object?

For this effect I would try creating a plane and emitting particles based on your video texture.

Create your plane, then go to particles, emit from object, and make sure it is set to be a surface emitter.

Once you have done this you just need to select your emitter node and in the attribute editor there is an attribute down near the bottom called texture emission attributes. I think there is one for emission rate, which you could use an alpha map to control where the particles emit from or not. But I believe there is also one for color, so you could select your video texture as the color and your surface will then emit particles and base the color of these particles on your video texture.

Then it is just a matter of using enough particles to create a solid mass, and then applying your field for the final effect.

I am no expert on particles, so the correct fields to use and setting up goals, etc. is probably something someone else could answer.

Just and idea, hope it helps!

Last edited by FUoSS : 01 January 2006 at 01:29 AM.

01 January 2006
This is not too hard to do and there is probably half a dozen ways to do this :

You can make particles emit from a surface based on a texture and also you can make particles inherit colour and opacity from a texture. In this case an image file or image sequence. Its in the manual. Look for emit from texture in the emitter attributes.

The motion is easy enough just emit form a surface until you have enough particles to make a reasonably solid mass then you can use the solver=> set initial state. Turn of the emitter and use a goal object or filed to suck the particles.

Quote:
Or if there were a way to create a particle emitter where the particles could form a flat plane that I could just run the clip in reverse.

This has been covered in quite a few tutorials.

Here you have answered your own question. Particles=>emit from object. Then use particle disk cache. Make a new time node and hook this to the current time attribute of you particles and you can use its "time" attribute to animate the playback of your simalution based on keyframes.

01 January 2006
Thanks!

Thanks a lot for your help guys. I've become pretty familiar with Maya but I haven't done a lot with particles and while I can typically figure it out in THEORY it really helps to get your input. Thanks again!

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread