DiTool Documentation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2005
DiTool Documentation

Does anyone know where there may be some documentation on DiDensity FX and some of the other DiTool Post Effects? They aren't referred to in the English Manual for DiTools 1.1 which is the latest version I can find (even though the plugins are up to 1.42 I think).

12 December 2005
check the ditools forums---theres no formal documentation that I know of.
Flingster here seems to be developers or at least spokesperson I believe. Maybe he'll post here.

12 December 2005
there is no documentation for those features...past that 1.1 manual.
i'll try and dig some examples out for you...was there anything in particular you needed to know...you can always post questions on the ditools forums for advice/tips/etc and we'll try point you in the right place.
not what you probably want to hear but its how it is unfortunately..yes i know it should be documented and there have been various past responses to why it isn't..

btw: i have nothing to do with the development of ditools...remotion does all programming...there are a few beta testers myself included...just trying to let you guys know whats happening with things really and making sure things are portrayed as accurately as possible remo is not the best at informing us about updates/news etc....its that crazy mind of his..great for creating imaginative plugins but the rest can cause problems..heh heh.

Henry Moore

12 December 2005
drop a editable spline into your scene.
drop a editable cube into your scene.

add DiDensityFX to render settings>effects.

drag the spline and cube into the objects box of the DiDensityFx

hit render...voila...

(the colour wheel looking thing in the objects dialogue is = object colour, or use objects colour...this is defined by cube object attributes tab under the basic tab...display colour...this will then colour the objects points the same colour as your display colour. eg
cube...object attributes...basic tab.
set : use colour to automatic.
set : display colour to red.
make sure the colour wheel is coloured and not greyed out in DiDensityFx object dialogue for cube.

the next dialogue in density fx object is..converting spline to points...its looks like 3 objects next to colour wheel.
make a parser spline editable and add it to your object dialogue in DiDensityFX...then toggle it on and off this should give you a better idea of whats happening. eg used uniform instead of your usual spline setting say adaptive or natural...if i remember rightly.

in fact i'm sure there is an explanation for this on the ditools forum..i'll have a look.

Henry Moore

12 December 2005
this will probably help.
http://forum.terraforming.net/showthread.php?p=83652

Henry Moore

12 December 2005
Henry,

Thanks for your prompt and extremely helpful explanations. I'm going to have to save these and the referenced thread. Sorry I didn't express my thanks earlier but I had to go out of state to a funeral and didn't get back until late last night. This has been my first opportunity to access the web.

Anyhow, I followed and understood your excellent directions. It would have taken forever to figure it out without some guaidance. It's too bad that these programmers spend so much time developing these wonderful tools and then don't take the extra time to document their use.

Thanks again.

Brian

12 December 2005
Flingster,

Boy do I feel like an idiot. You're obviously not "Henry". I just usually sign my emails and assumed the last name on the message was yours not the gentleman whom you were quoting.

Brian

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by JoelD: check the ditools forums---theres no formal documentation that I know of.
Flingster here seems to be developers or at least spokesperson I believe. Maybe he'll post here.

See? Its like the bat signal.

Thanks for the posts and sharing yoir info, flingster. Ditools is one of those motherlode plugs---Im still discovering things in it that I never knew were there.

12 December 2005
thanks guys...glad some random stuff of use...i agree ditools need more docs or at least updating..major reason for people steering clear of it...olli always calls it the swiss army knife of plugins and it really is...there is so so much in it and documenting it is mammoth task..there is no easy solution unfortunately...and remo knows this as he is the one that ultimately understand most of the functionality...i still find myself learning new stuff everyday and areas where i've just never touched! which is kinda mindlbowing in itself..
generally there are some principles and methods that work throughout which once you get your head around help with understanding how things work..there are usually plenty of examples for each bit.."usually". we are always happy to have contributions/ideas/suggestions/feedback and posts on the forum..helps keep it fresh for everyone.

Henry Moore

12 December 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread