Hair like in "Shadow of the Colossus"?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2005
Hair like in "Shadow of the Colossus"?

Does anyone know the proper way to create the hair effects in "Shadow of the Colossus"?
I assume its multi layered sets of polygon, but it looks very different from other hair effects I've seen. Or if anyone has any good links to hair creation for games would be helpfull as well.Thanks.

12 December 2005
This link will be of helpful for you.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game...051207/3dwa.htm
They used Sasquatch to make the texture.

12 December 2005
Wow, six layers to make that hair effect.Do all the extra polys make it an more rare effect, or is it just really difficult to make the required alpha maps? I have Shave&Haircut, so I could make some good hair textures if needed, but the alphas look like they change from layer to layer(maybe I'm wrong), how do they go about doing that for realistic hair(maybe adjusting the contrast or levels of the alpha in PS?)?
Thanks for the link though, the pictures were very helpful.

12 December 2005
that fuzzy hair type looks to be a shader to me.

12 December 2005
if only it wouldn´t be in japanese!
It looks extremely interesting..
whine!...

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by Pnoodles: if only it wouldn´t be in japanese!
It looks extremely interesting..
whine!...

Gotta aggree there

12 December 2005
I also agree, surely there is a kind person who can read that language who would be willing to give a quick shortened overview of whats said?

12 December 2005
google can translate it to a certain extent. Go to google language tools : http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

Then enter the page's url into the translator field and pick a language translation.
http://translate.google.com/transla...Flanguage_tools

12 December 2005
better yet, visit this thread over at Gaming Age forums:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=78011
Its a break down, translated and links directly to images. The fur shading is not an actual shader. You can clearly see it is made of polygonal shells. I will post my work on my Klonoa model soon which uses the same technique.

12 December 2005
thats an incredibly cool and informative read there, thanks jfalconer.
And i cant wait to see yours too!

12 December 2005
Thanks for that link jfalconer.I saw your thread with klonoa, the model looks great.I'll post pics if I get any decent looking tests of making the fur.

12 December 2005

I modeled an arm, and set up some sections that will act as hair.I'm off to make a good texture of fur.

12 December 2005
You can look up the original NVidia Fur Papers from GDC 2 or 3 years ago. This Shell technique isn't new. I am guessing they wrote a custom script to convert or back the shells properly using Sas. The animation of the shells is best to be done procedurally too from what the Nvidia people told me a while back.

But it does look great in game. I am also super impressed that they used LW for the whole thing.

12 December 2005
Actually, those furs on the colossi are also used on the ground in the game as well. as grass, flowers and other foliage. Basically, you pull a face (or faces) off of the object you wish to be "furred" then in your texture editor i.e. photoshop, you make a texture in a series of dots, then produce an alpha channel in that texture to show only the dots. Then the face is duplicated anywhere from three to six or so times and that texture is applied to it. I tried it with grass when SOTC came out. It's a nice effect, but you have to play with the variables a little (amount of dots, amount of fur faces and the spacing between each of them.)

Thread Closed share thread