CGTalk > Software > Photoshop / Painter
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-27-2005, 12:54 AM   #1
panadar
Veteran

Making Money w/Photoshop?

Question about making money using Photoshop. I have a friend of mine who is looking to change careers. She loves painting and drawing. From the pictures I've seen, she seems to have some talent in this area. Certainly enough where I think she could make a living at doing what she likes to do. I suggested to her that she learn Photoshop. I also suggested that she develop a both a physical & digital art portfolio asap.

My question is this: what steps can a person take to become a professional as quickly as possible. Either a freelancer, or working for a company? Any information you have would be more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by panadar : 12-27-2005 at 12:55 AM. Reason: correct spelling error

Old 12-27-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
Jaycee77
Lost somewhere in time

Jason Crichton
Technical Project Manager
Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Send a message via AIM to Jaycee77 Send a message via MSN to Jaycee77 Send a message via Yahoo to Jaycee77
Lots of practice, dedication and patience. Just becasue you know a piece of software doesn't mean it will make you money. Initially if she doesn't have a portfolio built up then she may need to take a few free gigs to attract business and build up a portfolio to showcase to prospective clients.

Basically as with anything you really want, it will take patience and dedication. If you have both of those then you can never truly fail.

Good luck to her.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
DrQuincy
The 3D Doctor

D Quinn
United Kingdom

The irony is the more you want to do something purely for money (especially with creative things) the less likely you are to do so. I'd bet most of the really good artists you see on this website do it mainly because they are so in love with their work. Any money you make is a bonus. That's true for myself and a few others I know anyway . . .

I'm not trying to put you off, all I'm saying is develop a yearning for the work. Find out what you are good at and passionate about and then once you feel like you're mastering it explore the money-making pontetial. If you try it the other way round your chances of success are not so good.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2005, 08:49 AM   #4
sumpm1
Frequenter

I totallly agree Quincy. If you could make money just for knowing how to use software, i'd be rollin in it

Old 12-30-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
halo
Youmayenterupto25characte

Of course you can make money using the applications...thats why they made them, the home "amateur" market was non-existant when they were released. Just knowing the software keeps 1000's of max jockeys in usb cup warmers the world over.

You can find incredibly talented people out there that do make money, and talented ones that cant...you have to be successful in finding a commercial application for you images that makes money...its no use just painting pretty pictures and expecting them to sell...they may do, but odds are you wont make a living out of it.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
voodoo_nightmare
Ken Segel
Independent
Pinellas Park, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrQuincy
The irony is the more you want to do something purely for money (especially with creative things) the less likely you are to do so. I'd bet most of the really good artists you see on this website do it mainly because they are so in love with their work. Any money you make is a bonus. That's true for myself and a few others I know anyway . . .

I'm not trying to put you off, all I'm saying is develop a yearning for the work. Find out what you are good at and passionate about and then once you feel like you're mastering it explore the money-making pontetial. If you try it the other way round your chances of success are not so good.

Good luck!

Very well stated Quincy!!

Old 12-30-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread