Anatomy Thread of Gunilla - 3D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2005
Anatomy Thread of Gunilla - 3D

I'm very fascinated by old time anatomy/medical mannequin drawings and have for some time wished to try and do something like that in a more modern style.
The kind of images I'm thinking of was very popular in 1500-1600th century and often showed bodies in relaxed poses ripping off their own skin to show the muscles or inner organs.
A number of them can be found at these excellent resource sites:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/d...da_gallery.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/h...omies/home.html

I stumbled upon this one: I like the way she covers up her intimate parts while exposing all her inner organs ... her pose is also almost identical to that of Botticellis Venus, so this will be my main reference for the bodys pose

I also plan for this to be my first project ever with ZBrush - and have no clue as how I'm going to solve it yet. Just thought it wood be a good opportunity to try some new things

So, here is the very first step, placing some Zsperes, using Venus as a backdrop for some reference:

My plan is to make a rough shape for the body and then fill it with as many organ as needed to make the impression I'm after.
Comments, Crits and Spam are welcome

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Last edited by Gunilla : 12 December 2005 at 11:52 AM.

12 December 2005
Hey Gunie...

Your project is great and very original... I will to push you in this way...

I remember the first link you add... it was a very great inspiration when I've worked on the MachineFlesh challenge...
...this kind of ancient medical picture... and plastination... very insteresting too... that appear a little bit gore... but with some interest, you can have a real fascination for this... art.
http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/home.asp
http://www.univie.ac.at/anatomie2/plastination.html

Now I've subscribe here... I could follow in real time the Zbrush course

and the birth of something different, but full of interest... cheers dear, I love your project

12 December 2005
Talking

Gunnie,

I'm a huge sucker for this kind of old world illustration, and I'm super excited to see what will happen with this project!

Do you know of the work of Alexander Tsiaras? He works in Max to bring to life medical concepts in a highly artistic fashion ~ given your interest in medical illustration work, I'm sure you would love him:

He has a book and website, "From Conception to Birth" ~ I was fortunate enough to catch his exhibit at one of the medical libraries here, but unfortunately missed the Dream Anatomy one, though have seen the awesome website...thanks for those links, as I had forgotten to add them to the Reference thread!

http://www.anatomicaltravel.com/CB_...n_to_birth3.htm

You should also post your beautiful finished Spectacular piece here, as well as a link to your Spectacular thread...it would give people the chance to become familiar with your beautiful work, and understand your background.

Speaking of your background...do you want to tell us a little bit about your training and background here? That would be a great introduction for what is sure to be a great thread to follow!

Great to see this Gunnie, and hope you had a great Christmas!!!

EDIT: Okay, you've been linked up here!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 12 December 2005 at 03:44 PM.

12 December 2005
YAYYYY !!

Great project Gunilla !! , this is gonna be huge for sure ... and...and I see Zspheres :
Come on , Come all ladies and gentlemen !!

Glad to see you on work , hope to see more soon.

Post scriptum spam : Hope you had a great time this week end lots of presents ? how's Muffen doing ?

"One today is worth two tomorrows"
-Benjamin Franklin-

12 December 2005
Good morning all!

Laurent
- thanks for cheering on this project of mine, I hope it will be a good way to spend my holidays! I'm not surprised to see you have been threading the same paths with your machineflesh entry
The plastination thing is a bit barbaric, I was so surprised to hear that it actually is used today! It would be more in line with the wax cabinets of past days than modern exhibits I think - but as you say, fascinating in a weird way - thanks for the links!

Rebecca - Glad that you find this to be a suitable project for the Anatomy forum
I hadn't heard of Alexander Tsiaras, and that site would have been priceless for me to find during the Challenge! Awesome work indeed.
I'll post my background and twins in the next post, thanks!

Zapan - Hi there, glad you found your way to this place, I'm counting on your spam
I had a good weekend but Muffen is not very happy with me, I left him alone for two days so now he's a bit grumpy ... I have to make up for it with lots of goodies and playing

Demoreel

12 December 2005
Background and such

So, it seems like a good idea to do some sort of presentation of myself for those that doesn't know me yet. I've been practising different kinds of art for quite some time, from costume design to mosaic to still life painting in oil and more... My background and training is from the Fine Arts field which I loved doing, but at a point realised I could never make a living with... so I started to do animation and illustration instead. The last two years I've focused on medical and scientific visualisation - areas that I really like to work in and I hope to get good enough to get the good jobs in that field. When I was in college I spent most of the time with abstract stuff so to say I'm rusty with figurative work is to put it mild .. I hope to get a new start with that here!
A year ago I started to participate in the Challenges here, and that have given me so much in terms of learning new things and most important finding the way back to doing work of my own - I really love what I'm doing, just like the people I've got to know here

My image from the last challenge is quite representative of the style I'm going for - partly realistic and partly more "free"

My Challenge page

Demoreel

12 December 2005
So, the project continues:

I didn't have the patience to make a good starting point by using ZSpheres so I did a very simple mesh in Max instead, I've just imported it in ZB and will now try to sculpt it into somethong looking more like a body and less like a blob

Demoreel

12 December 2005
Good morning Gunilla!

Interesting project * subscribing*...! I'm looking forward to see a Maxer's first steps in zBrush !

Hope you had a great time at Christmas and that Muffen will forgive you soon!

-sabrina

12 December 2005
Originally Posted by Gunilla: I didn't have the patience to make a good starting point by using ZSpheres

Morning Gunie... I don't know if it's the good solution to start... and yet do shortcuts hahaha... but I understand you well...
Just too much curious to see "all" the steps... "all ZB steps"

12 December 2005
A Maxer's first steps in zBrush: Closing the programm and modeling the whole thing in max... !

Reminds me of my own tests ...May be we are really to unpatient! But I'm looking forward to see the next steps!

-sabrina

12 December 2005
Haha, Sabrina, Lolo - I promise you then - I will make the hand in ZSpheres, OK? I really want to learn it, so no more shortcuts... It's a good way to practise patients as well

And Sabrina, great news about your new Wacom - so we will see your first steps with it here too? I don't want to be the only beginner here.

Demoreel

12 December 2005
Talking

Gunnie,

Very cool to hear about your background! Very cool stuff, and I wish you luck with the medical illustration ~ you should check out "Anatomy Thread of Redehlert" here ~ he's a medical illustrator (traditional) ~ great work as well!

This thread looks like it will be fantastic, looking forward to your progress!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
Thanks Rebecca - some really cool stuff there, thanks for pointing it out. I've already started to spam him

Demoreel

12 December 2005
Talking

Quote: Thanks Rebecca - some really cool stuff there, thanks for pointing it out. I've already started to spam him

By the way, Gunie, I was thinking this morning about what you said re: Alexander Tsiaras and how it would have helped you to know about him during the Challenge ~ it's funny, I guess I have to chalk it up to compartmentalized / contextual thinking ~ the Challenge was a whirl of just checking in on a bunch of threads to see what was going on, and I never even thought about Mr. Tsiaras' work in that context...in fact, your link to the 'Dream Anatomy' site jarred my memory, as I hadn't thought about his work in a while, though I would like to buy his book at some point ~ I wish I had thought about it back then, though! It's quite cool how interested you are in medical illustration / 3D work ~ you should check out this cool book, which I think you would really like:

"Encyclopaedia Anatomica - Museo La Specola Florence" - Taschen, publisher. Will try to find the link, but right now Amazon is showing some other book when I type in that title.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 10 October 2006 at 03:03 AM.

12 December 2005
Agree with you, Redelhert is very talentuous... his traditional sketches are incredibles...
(no spam... only my opinion hahaha)

Thread Closed share thread