Anyone Use Bauhaus Mirage 1.5? Thoughts?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2005   #1
Anyone Use Bauhaus Mirage 1.5? Thoughts?

I was looking at Mirage 1.5 and I wanted to hear about the software from someone that actually uses it. I can see that the software is for 2D animation, but the paint tools look very nice. I have just downloaded the demo and I like what I see so far (especially how fast it is to paint and how responsive the tools are), but I wanted to hear from people that have to use the software. What are your thoughts both positive and negative.

Thanks!

My Painting Tutorial Thread

Old 12 December 2005   #2
I've used Mirage when Newtek owned (created) the software. Back then it was called Aura. It's a pretty decent package. It does just about everything any other high end compositing software can do, however, the paint tools are what sets it apart. It's like painter or photoshop with high end animation. Go to Bauhaus software's site and check out the forums. You'll get more feedback there, plus, a good friend of mine works at the company (if you want any inside info )

Old 12 December 2005   #3
Quote: Go to Bauhaus software's site and check out the forums. You'll get more feedback there

I was hoping to avoid posting on the developer's own site. You tend to get a lot more "pros" than "cons" on one's "own site". In other words, I would like to have as objective an oppinion on the software as possible.

BTW - While this may sound crazy, I am not doing any 2D animation or film (yet) ... I am mainly interested in the package for the paint tools. While I own Photoshop, the paint tools in Mirage seem stronger and more fluid. And, frankly, the currently discounted price of Mirage is not that much more than a full license of Photoshop. This is one of the reasons I was looking at the package.

My Painting Tutorial Thread

Old 12 December 2005   #4
I own a copy of 1.5 and the paint tools are pretty good. it has some stuff that photoshop does not, while photoshop has a few more brush options like random and angle which are good for painting splotches randomly such as when doing skin. Mirage has alot of tools

Download a copy. the demo can save so give it a try and make up your own mine. Will be alot faster.

Old 12 December 2005   #5
I use Mirage

Hey Dan, I own a copy of Mirage and I think its great. I only use it for pencil tests so I can't comment on the paint and other features that it has. Animation wise its a wonderful program. It's bitmap based, so it feels more natural than drawing into a program like Flash.
It has a "light box" feature that onion skins up tp 10 frames before and after your current frame. The mechanical pencil tool is great, it's the closest I've gotten to feeling like I'm drawing on paper with the computer. If you're in to 2d animation then I highly suggest getting Mirage.

Old 12 December 2005   #6
I use Mirage and love it. I primarily use to composite animations and am just getting into exploring it's paint effects capabilities. Everything is still a learning experience but the important thing is I'm enjoying it!

As a matter of fact, yesterday I received my package containing The Animator's Toolbar and Halo FX plugins, the Mirage Manual, and The Animator's Workbook. Christmas came early for me!

Listen: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Old 12 December 2005   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread