Sketchbook Thread of Vidar3d

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2005   #1
Sketchbook Thread of Vidar3d

I guess I have put this off for long enough. I have the day off today for Christmas so no tedious wine label design for a whole 4 days! Anyways I am just going to start posting a variety thread related material; OFDWs, master studies, creature's, or whatever else. Oh yeah I found this great new art studion downtown where they allow drop-ins on their saturday figure painting for like $5 so I am going to try and start attending at least once a month so I'll be posting those here as well.

Old 12 December 2005   #2
Rebecca mentioned previously that I should work on some head studies as that is my weakest area. My master instructor at school really focused on the torso. He thought it was the most difficult and most critical part. the rest you can learn from a a book he said (in a heavy polish accent). As a result I think I handle the trunk area ok, even the arms and the legs but the head seems slightly out of whack with the rest of the drawing. So here is today's study after Michelangelo.

Old 12 December 2005   #3
Some gesture sketches. Most of thise were under 5 min I would say.

Old 12 December 2005   #4
A character concept for a traditional animation project I still think about doing Someday...

Old 12 December 2005   #5
Some creature concepts I did for a now defunct B Horror movie, I still like them though.

Last edited by Vidar3d : 12 December 2005 at 09:28 PM.

Old 12 December 2005   #6
an exercise where in we were required to envision and sketch the skeleton within the model.

Old 12 December 2005   #7
Talking

Vidar3d,

Great to see your new Anatomy Thread, and I think this will be a great way to see your progress over time! You've already improved tremendously in the OFDWs, and I look forward to seeing how much further you push your talents and skills in digital and traditional drawing and painting.

I hope you will be posting your OFDW work here as well!

Getting ready for Christmas, but will soon add your link to the main Links page.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12 December 2005   #8
Thanks Rebecca. I'll start posting the OFWD's. Here is 008:

Old 12 December 2005   #9
Hi...Rett

Nice to see your work get better with each piece. Looks like you went for that dramatic
lighting in that last one posted...nice... good way to express mood.
Also like your gesture drawings..solid..good weight, and volume.
Hey..have you ever been to a giant underground cavern where sea lions come to give birth.
I was in one about twenty five years ago, in a place called Coose BAY...close to where you
are from, I think. I did a couple of paintings and drawings of it years ago...the lighting
always stuck in my mind...very dramatic...an amazeing sight, ..makeings for a great painting
in that cavern I think...hundreds of sea lions on walles of cave, dramatic lighting ect.
If you haven't been there,then you should check it out, if it's still there. those sea lions
have been comeing there to give birth for thousands of years...A guy had a shop on top
of it, with elavator going down into it. Always thought it would be a great place to study
dramatic lighting
ANYWAY...it's nice to see your work getting better all the time, and I look forward to seeing
more..
Take Care
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 12 December 2005 at 12:32 PM.

Old 12 December 2005   #10
Thanks for your kind words Glen. I haven't been to the sea lion's cave yet but I have heard a lot about it. My wife and I just moved up here from Arizona about 6 months ago so haven't had too much time for site seeing but per your description it sounds amazing.

Here is a WIP. Another master copy this time after Frans Hals.

Old 12 December 2005   #11
Talking

Vidar3d,

Missed your post somehow...very cool to see this copy!

A few crits: watch the eyes, and try not to make them too small for the face. I've seen this original but offhand I don't know what the proportions are ~ but to me, the body looks at this point to be too large for the face / head. Is there an online link to the original you can provide? If not, no worries, just checking.

Look forward to seeing an update on this!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01 January 2006   #12
Haven't had time to work on my Hal's master study. Mistress Rebecca has been cracking her OFDW whip like an artistic dominatrix. Here is my most recent completion from the forum with a few up close details:

Old 01 January 2006   #13
Talking

Originally posted by Vidar3d: Haven't had time to work on my Hal's master study. Mistress Rebecca has been cracking her OFDW whip like an artistic dominatrix.

L M A O...I think my neighbors could hear me laughing when I read that!

*snickers*

Well, I have to commend you on this piece ~ you're improving tremendously, and are picking up quite a lot, I believe, from the great talent pool we have in the OFDWs ~ it's great to have everyone's participation there.

The color combinations here are dead~on, particularly in the area of and around her head and upper torso ~ and I like how the upper body is more in focus than the lower, which you've allowed to go softer, intentionally, I assume, to draw attention to her upper half, which is the natural focal point of the image. There are always minor tweaks to be made ~ for instance, the fleshy area above her left breast where it transitions into the shoulder could be a bit more subtle ~ but overall I think this is one of your best pieces, and something to really be proud of! Looking forward to your participation in the next OFDW. I have a new whip at the ready!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 01 January 2006   #14
Rebecca - glad to be able to offer you a little humor on your Sunday evening.

Yes it's so true what you say. Besides yourself, I have learned so much from so many people on the forum. SaraD, Drawmonger, Glen, Corvax and many many others. I just wish I had more time to do additional models for each OFDW series. But I guess I can always go back someday.

Old 01 January 2006   #15
Talking

Thanks for the humor. Yep, I think the OFDWs have really become something quite special. It's great to see the regulars back at each one, and new people hopping on board ~ the mix is really good, and I've learned tons from everyone's beautiful work as well as from their advice and criticism of my own and each others' work.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread