CGTalk > Gallery > Featured Videos
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 12-18-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
Donald Phan

It is with much apprehension that I'm posting my senior Project, "Glimmer." I wasn't planning on doing so until I finished it, but Roberto kept encouraging me to post it:

*Edit: Took down the divX version because I felt it was too dark*

*Edit: I just looked at this on my CRT and noticed it's really really dark. Here's a link to the quicktime version*

Glimmer (Quicktime Sorenson 3) 50.09 megs

*Edit 12/27/05* Added mirror:
Please only use mirror if above link does not work

*Edit Dec. 20: Added wireframes*

Music was composed by my friend, Yang Li:

There's a lot more I want to do with the character animation and lighting (well, and everything else for that matter!), and there are more than a few rushed scenes. The glitch/problematic-areas/scenes-to-be-improved-upon list is about a mile long

Feedback is very welcome

Some renders:

Last edited by YeeWu : 12-27-2005 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:26 AM   #2
Dan Alexander
Memphis, USA
this is a very nice animation YeeWu, i love the eyes the whole style very much accentuates an anime style, would you mind if i ask how long the whole production has taken to date?
Old 12-18-2005, 03:55 AM   #3
the Gadfly
Henning Koczy
Brooklyn, USA
Neat. I love animations with pretty lights! I'm not even being sarcastic. I do.
I was aghast at the ending and felt very lonely. So I was definitely engaged and brought into the "place" of the movie.
Animation needs work (I know you're aware of it, but what kind of critique would this be...).
She is weightless, but not in a purposeful way... her feet slide a little bit and nothing on her body moves but her legs. Her hands need a different pose every once in a while.
Lighting: I see from one of the still renders that her eyes are purple... get some light into them in the film so that they arent just black blobs with giant spec highlights. Even so, for most of the movie, she is too well-lit (it doesn't seem like the light is actually coming from her lantern), and so we dont notice the effect (which should be dramatic) when more lights turn on around her.
Skipped over when they were handing out business sense.
Wilkommen in
Old 12-18-2005, 04:20 AM   #4
Mohammed Obaid
3D Designer and Animator
Visionary FX
Qateef, Saudi Arabia

It is really fantastic....I like the moode.

no comments except the ones mentioned by HenningK.
The Vision never ends
Old 12-18-2005, 05:39 AM   #5
aka sagi_13
in a moat, USA
Send a message via AIM to Sagii
Thumbs up

Hi, Great work, I really like the work you have done on this character the dress is lovely! I love the painted backrounds and the bridge scene with the light reflecting from the water is very beautiful. I like this piece it is different and interesting. I find that working with lights is difficult and I think you did a great job using your lights.

What I like best about this piece is that you are not only focusing on animation, but this is the whole package, You have a nice character, lighting, beautiful textures, animation and a nice concept here. I find it very mysterious and the end does make me a feel lonely. When you finish the rest of the 40 missing seconds you will have a great short
Great job 5 stars.
Whether you think you can or you can't, you probably right.

Last edited by Sagii : 12-18-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:16 AM   #6
Anatomy Forum Leader
CGSociety Member
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Congratulations on the front page plug! (And no, it wasn't me who did it). I know how hard you have worked on this, and it is fairly incredible that you've turned in such a beautiful piece given the fact that there is quite literally one Maya class at Mason. You've definitely gone above and beyond, and deserve whatever opportunities which come your way.

I was quite excited to see the screening of your animation during your senior show ~ the scene with the bridge and it's reflection is quite stunning, imo. I very much enjoy how you have combined the 2D bkgrd elements with the 3D; and the music is just right ~ haunting, lyrical, just a bit searching as well. There is an incredible maturity to this piece which one does not often see. Great work, and congrats again!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Facebook Page | Blog
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 12-18-2005, 07:20 AM   #7
Donald Phan
D.Alexander: Thank you. I started doing sketches about a year and a half ago. I really wish I could say that I had spent the entire year and a half working on this, but I barely had time to work on this at all during the course of a few semesters. It wasn't until these past two months that I really started working on this feverishly. It's hard to quantify, but I'd say it was a year and a half of work off and on, and in my free time.

HenningK: Great critique! I absolutely agree with everything you said. I definitely will address these in the future I don't have much experience with character animation, and it's been a real effort getting this to where it is now. But I will continue to try and push it!

Alom: Thanks!

Ines: Thanks so much for the kind words! It's been a fun semester

*edit - adding Rebecca* I'm very glad you could make it to my senior show. You'll have to thank my friend Yang for the music. He's a wonderful musician. Thank you

Last edited by YeeWu : 12-18-2005 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:26 AM   #8
[Forum Leader]
CGTalk Forum Leader
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA
Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
As I promised, you have been plugged.

You are VERY talented, and I hope to see more of your other animations in
our forum. As I told you, your animation is full of style and grace.

:Daily Sketch Forum:HCR Modeling
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12-18-2005, 07:43 AM   #9
Wojciech Golczewski
Film Composer
Poznan, Poland
Send a message via ICQ to blz
very nice animation, i quite enjoyed it.
keep up the good work!

Old 12-18-2005, 07:53 AM   #10
Mister Anarchy
Olivier Archer
Lausanne, Switzerland
Send a message via Yahoo to archerx
Thats pretty good, but her eyes were way to dark making it kinda creepy.... and i don't get the ending...
__________________ - Portfolio site
CG Cast -Ep35- Not dead yet
CG Chat - Lets Chat About CG!
Old 12-18-2005, 08:13 AM   #11
Character Artist
Alexey Kuznetsov
very very well, especially the hair dynamics and lighting
and... wonderful music, it reminds me Zatôichi movie
Online Portfolio:
Demo Reel
Old 12-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
Akin Bilgic
Modeler / Generalist TD

Great job Donald - Congratulations on you plug.

Modeler / Generalist TD
Old 12-18-2005, 09:24 AM   #13
Lord of the posts
Dick Ma
London, United Kingdom
Send a message via ICQ to dickma Send a message via AIM to dickma Send a message via MSN to dickma Send a message via Yahoo to dickma
I have a little crit about the animation.

Firstly, the lantern that the girl carries has it own movement, without consider it is a constrain movement that is attached with a string. That is not realistic thru, especially at the scene when the girl is distracted by a group of lanterns and she makes a turn, the lantern's movement seems out of control.

And her lefthand is almost paralyzed thru the animation. If the sleeves of the kimono has extension that is OK if she keep the hand like that, but it is not.

And a little crit about the modeling, as you see that the girl's eyes are a bit flatten when in the side view, due to the face contour isn't deep enough to show eye sockets.

Last edited by dickma : 12-18-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #14
Really nice looking *thumbs up*

a question about the eyes though:
We're you able to fit a sphere in the model for eyes, or did you use a FFD(box) modifier ?

i've tried anime faces before and always had trouble with the eyes, using an FFD modifier has given me some succes though.

Old 12-18-2005, 12:02 PM   #15
Vfx Viking
Arvid Björn
Sr. 3D artist
Sthlm Post Production (Stopp)
Stockholm, Sweden

I don't think this piece need the scrutiny of CG-experts, but to judged by the story itself, or the film as a whole. I understand you're pretty new to animation, and I'd say - no matter which medium or tool you choose - this is a very emotional and beautiful film. CG skills can always be obtained and improved, but subtle story telling like this is something different, you made the right choice in posting it.

Good work!
Thread Closed share thread