CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 12-16-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
Can anyone help me create?

Hi everyone, I seem to be having a problem advancing in 3ds max. I'm currently 17 years old, and interested in 3d. I've done multiple tutorials (and when I say multiple I mean A LOT) but I don't seem to be advancing my skill. I have practiced well over a year now and I can honestly say I'm not any good. I have these amazing images of enviroments and characters in my head that I really want to make in 3DS Max. But I can't. How can I? Like I said before I'm not getting any better and its really frustrating. Where can I go to learn to create? I'm not a total noob but I can't model anything good either. The hardest thing I can semi-successfuly model right now is a simple desk lamp. Creative huh? If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it! Please.. I plan on making this my career so I fear if I don't ever get any good, I'll never have a job!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
Trogdor the burninator
NL Bradbury
Midvale, USA
Well, first of all, no one can help you create. Creating is a personal thing. The best we can do is critique and offer advice. Maybe your stuff isn't as bad as you think. You are your own worst critic you know.

Second, you're only 17. I have shirts that old. You haven't given yourself time to develop any skills you may have. Some people get it right away, and some don't. A year isn't that long for those who need time to grasp it.

Third, most of us who consider ourselves "artists" have been drawing/painting/sculpting/whatever since our earliest memories. Before we could walk or talk we were holding a pencil. Maybe you just got a late start.

Give it time, and practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
Lord of the posts
hh hh
San Marino
Send a message via MSN to FrozZT
Are you drawing alot? Or have you been doing any other art related stuff before? Practice drawing is a good way to learn how to pull stuff out of your head and realize it.. Im not very skilled in 3d but i still plan to pick it up soon. I have chosen to further develope my drawing and 2d skills first.. There is so many things you need to know to make a image that you are satisfied with, i dont think only practising modeling will give you everything.. There is also colors, composition, lighting and tons of other stuff.. It all takes time, i do recomend drawing/sketching alot, it should help any artist in whatever area.. You are young and have plenty of time to learn.. But you will probably never be satisfied enough with your work since you will be pushing yourself against higher standards all the time! I have become alot better in the last year and im developing fast but i havent been more pleased with my results (I guess that goes for most of us):/.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:22 AM   #4
Coppélius at work
Jeroen Stout
Independant Game Developer
Stout Games
Coming from a 17 year old as well (sheesh, time flies, 17.6 already) - One general word of advice is that you should never lock yourself in unless you are very sure you like the house. Meaning, don't plan on making 3d your job unless you can create full environments as if you were just drawing a doodle. The creative industry, from what I have seen of it, is a tough one to get into and to stay in, should you desire to do 'your own thing'; you have to be really good to be able to just do that: more as that, you have to be lucky or devote large amounts of efford in what you want to do, not just terms of being good.

So, especially at 17, keep your options open. It sounds not that supportive, I know, not trying to shatter dreams here, but it's wise to make sure you're bloody good at something before you set it as your goal in life.

... honestly I have to add that, yes, I did set my goal in life and that I am as far as I'm concerned sure enough of my abilities in that direction - but I see plenty of people who are as sure but not as competent; do lots of comparisons with people in your 'flock'; classmates or.. well, etc.

Also, there is one thing that's important; those who cannae do, shan't. I just made that oneliner up, but it sounds pretty right. You'll get advice here, but if you really can't do it - you can't.

Also, don't take my words too seriously, when it comes to 'what people can do' I'm a tad cynic and not as 'if you want to enough you can do anything'; I find the later more like famous last words of someone who wanted to jump over an active vulcano.

Good luck and make sure you have enough fun, though
Dinner Date - Stout Games
Old 12-17-2005, 02:22 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread