Has anyone programmed a GI renderer?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  12 December 2005
Has anyone programmed a GI renderer?

I'm just looking for fellow programmers that have programmed a GI renderer, or have a special interest for GI to discuss the technical aspects. I will soon be programming my own renderer with shaders for a university project. If you are interested in chatting, I have ICQ (59216599), MSN (roue(@)sympatico.ca) and you can add me on AIM using my ICQ number.
 
  12 December 2005
I'm researching global illumination for my PhD. Tinkering wtih a radiosity renderer atm. Well have been tinkering with it for a year or so, keep deciding there's a better way of doing it and starting all over
__________________
Carina

Contribute to the CGWiki!

Any views expressed are my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer.
 
  12 December 2005
Well, that sounds cool, I sent you an add request on ICQ if you want to chat about GI

Currently I'm more into programming a monte carlo based renderer with irradiance caching... But I lack some understanding of the basic concepts (which results in my renders being physically inaccurate).

By the way, what made you choose radiosity? Not to sound rude or anything, but my general impression was that radiosity was "dead" as most people were shifting to path tracing based methods using various optimization techniques (including photon mapping) since radiosity couldn't cope with some natural phenomenons.

Last edited by Nyx2095 : 12 December 2005 at 08:57 PM.
 
  12 December 2005
Originally Posted by Nyx2095: Well, that sounds cool, I sent you an add request on ICQ if you want to chat about GI

Currently I'm more into programming a monte carlo based renderer with irradiance caching... But I lack some understanding of the basic concepts (which results in my renders being physically inaccurate).

By the way, what made you choose radiosity? Not to sound rude or anything, but my general impression was that radiosity was "dead" as most people were shifting to path tracing based methods using various optimization techniques (including photon mapping) since radiosity couldn't cope with some natural phenomenons.


Path tracing is very much the hype at the moment yes, for some very good reasons. But radiosity is still being actively researched, and I personally find the subject more intriguing than monte carlo based techniques.

Additionally, when you do research you have to take some note of what your superiours want you to research, or they get a bit iffy about giving you the money to do it
__________________
Carina

Contribute to the CGWiki!

Any views expressed are my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer.
 
  12 December 2005
Quote: Path tracing is very much the hype at the moment yes, for some very good reasons. But radiosity is still being actively researched, and I personally find the subject more intriguing than monte carlo based techniques.


Well, radiosity is alot faster for sure Have they found ways to do caustics with it?

Quote: Additionally, when you do research you have to take some note of what your superiours want you to research, or they get a bit iffy about giving you the money to do it


Yeah... I know the feeling...
 
  12 December 2005
lucille :: open source GI renderer

just stumbled across this
http://lucille.sourceforge.net/

probably of some interest for you guys.
 
  12 December 2005
Toxic (open source)

http://www.toxicengine.org/
__________________
CGReelBlog ( http://vmuriel.wordpress.com )
 
  12 December 2005
Those seem like cool projects, except that the toxic renderer is apparently not in development anymore.

But honestly, I would rather not look at the source code of other projects. Partly because it's often very unclear, but also because I want to understand and implement things by myself.

Don Vito, I saw you added me on MSN, I look forward to discussing GI with you
 
  12 December 2005
Hi there,

guys its great that i stunbled upon this thread.i am plannin to do some project like are u guys are talkin abt. i am plaanin to specialise in the lighting and rendering dept.

btw m an engineer. i hav some programmin experience...still hav lots to learn.
hope i will be able to do some contrubution to this group.

guys i don use ICQ...but i use yahoo and MSN.

my yahoo ID is: rockesh99
and MSN is : rockesh99@hotmail.com

u can mail me at rawkesh@gmail.com


hopin to see reply soon
 
  12 December 2005
I suppose I should join in with the MSN/ICQ details

MSN: me (at) smallwhitefurballs.co.uk
ICQ: 289433261
__________________
Carina

Contribute to the CGWiki!

Any views expressed are my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer.
 
  12 December 2005
I added you on MSN rawkesh. Hope to chat with you soon
 
  12 December 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.