Sketchbook Thread of hpslashluvr

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2005
Sketchbook Thread of hpslashluvr

i've bought some anatomy books in an effort to improve my drawings...and try to get more interesting poses too. here are some stuff, the ones that look more finished are based off of sketches i scanned in and worked with. sorry for poor quality, i just use a camera to take pics of my sketchbook. i posted some of this stuff in another thread so you may have seen a few. post more gestural stuff later!

a painting i just did now, i didn't really get to finish the hands or feet so they're sort of small and off.

Last edited by hpslashluvr : 06 June 2006 at 05:57 PM.

12 December 2005
oh this is great - i have been following your wip/selfportrait thread and I am really looking forward to this.

Great sketches - I especially like the light on the face and facial expression as well as flow of hair in the first one!

12 December 2005
Talking

hpslashluvr,

Welcome aboard! Some very nice work you've posted ~ can't wait to see your progress here! I think you would quite enjoy our Open Figure Drawing Workshops, the most recent of which is OFDW 008 ~ OFDW 009 should begin late Sunday/Monday. Hope you'll join us!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 12 December 2005 at 12:16 PM.

12 December 2005
Hi
Hpslashluvr
Really nice line you have there. Elegant...Great flow...Beautiful.
Take Care
Glenn

12 December 2005
i tried to practice drawing noses. it didn't work too well, but i learned some things. i'm trying to do a different feature every week. ignore all the little faces - i was trying to practice a "realistic" approach to a feature and then draw it from memory, and then try to simplify it into how i normally doodle. that didn't really work either ^^

12 December 2005
Hi
Hpslashluvr
If you are haveing trouble with facial features, and want to do them from memory,
I highly recommend two books by Burne Hogarth....#1 Drawing The Human Head
#2 Dynamic Anatomy. He did most of his drawing from memory. His books are great for
learning, and very easy to understand, and not priced to high, you can get them used
also on the internet. I will post you a couple of links later today.I think you will really
like them, and they will help you a great deal, if you choose to buy them.
I still really like your line work..post more.. and you should really consider joining the
figure drawing workshop...Rebecca is a great teacher, and will help you take your
skill to the next level, and there are also a lot of talented people there who will be more
than happy to help you develope your skill....
Take Care
Glenn...

12 December 2005
oooh yeah i'm so tempted to join but i'm working so hard right now on one of my pieces ^^ maybe after new yrs

edit: thanks for the book suggestions. my roommate is prolly already going nuts over how many books i've bought that are art related in the last like 2 months:

nude figure (photography)
figure in motion (photography)
facial expressions (photography)
spectrum 12
how to draw manga
2 gnomon dvds
2 d'artiste books

Last edited by hpslashluvr : 12 December 2005 at 04:49 PM.

12 December 2005
That Facial Expressions book is a great find, I have that one too! I use it religiously! Try more observational drawing and try to see planes of the face as shapes, that way if you recognize them as shapes it will seem more natural and more realistic! There is tru;y no line in anything on this planet, on what you put on paper. study craig mullins work, he has a great example of doing that, good luck!

12 December 2005
that's sort of my exact problem, i do a LOT of observational work but i would like to draw more westernized features. i've had a lot of ppl tell me that it's all the same, but i can tell you back that it really isn't. for instance, i don't have a eyelid fold, or a nose bridge, or an eyebrow ridge, etc etc.

12 December 2005
Hi
Hpslashluvr
You can order Burne Hogarth books, at.....ALIBRIS .COM or AMAZON .COM
The nice thing about his books are how he showes how to draw all the races of people.
He was my teacher many years ago, and when people would ask him to draw a face,
the first thing he would say is...well what race of face would you like to see, then he
would rapidly produce whatever race of person that was requested, right there in front of everyone...used to really amaze me. I asked him what his secret was one time, and he
said that there were three or four major groups that have similar features, according
to which group they belonged in, and that it was just a matter of small detail, and
modification to to creat the race of person within each group.....
Buy his books when you can...you'll get a lot more in return, than you spent on them
for sure...
PS.....I like your self portrait...
Glenn

Last edited by SpiritDreamer : 12 December 2005 at 04:07 PM.

12 December 2005
thanks. my self portrait was done from life, btw. i never got around to finishing it, but perhaps i'll have time after the xmas break.

12 December 2005
a lot of ppl at cgtalk have told me that my ppl esp my girls are hella ugly so i'm sort of practicing that...drawing a pinup of a friend. i'm sort of stuck on non-cliche poses but i'm going for a really soft innocent look. sorry if the anatomy is off...these are just rough idea sketches >.< i'll worry about the resemblance later.

any ideas would be cool!

maybe just show the back? robe vs. playing with bra

stretching and pulling off a shirt...in the second one she's pulling off a second shirt or something, i dunno ^^

12 December 2005
Talking

hpslashluvr,

Hey there, I think the thing that I would suggest would be to go after realism with these. I think it's only possible to stylize well if one has a strong understanding of realistic anatomy. Plus, when you are going for realism, you will push yourself and your skills further than you would with a more manga or cartoon~style character.

Have you considered participating in the Open Figure Drawing Workshops? I think you could really push your skills a lot further there, amongst a dedicated group of people. A new OFDW 10 will start late Sunday / early Monday and will likely continue for 3 instead of 2 weeks due to the holidays (if that's what everyone wants). If you have the time, I hope you will join in!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

12 December 2005
i actually wasn't going for a manga style at all haha but i sort of can see where you'd think i had. i based these off of photography references in one of my books.

i'm planning to spam the workshops soon, don't worry ^^

12 December 2005
Talking

LOL ~ hehe, sorry for the manga confusion... ~ I mostly based this conclusion on the face of your first drawing, but the body is more realistic. Sorry for that!

Looking forward to your OFDW spam.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread