Object Emitting Light Test (Lightwave)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2002
Object Emitting Light Test (Lightwave)

Just set this up quickly to try out somethings. I was actually also doing a fill test and a falloff test here too..... but I threw in an object light emission test for good measure. -- I think the fill ended up being a bit bright in the end.... but I didn't really tweak any of the scene much.

If you have some object light emissions... post em here.

*Edit* A new one:

Last edited by minus : 12 December 2002 at 09:00 PM.

11 November 2002
Here's one I did with MAX 4.2 and Brazil 1.0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg high_quality_samples.jpg (31.4 KB, 519 views)

11 November 2002
Just test also, MAX 4.2 and Brazil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tree.jpg (47.3 KB, 440 views)

11 November 2002
Tmortan: Where have you go the geometry lights? are they along all the inside faces of those wires? or is it just from the circle at the base? if so, I'm geussing you turned up the GI bounces to at least 3 or more. It also looks like you may have a bit of sss, at least it gives a bit of the ambience you would expect from transluceny.

11 November 2002
Well I donít have Brazil 1.0 itís with V0.4.53.
And its not a geometry light per say.

Used a Brazil test material, changed the luminous to red, and up the indirect NRG filters.

Works with effects like this but you really donít want to up the indirect NRG filters in most scenes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire1.jpg (29.7 KB, 408 views)

11 November 2002
Re: Object Emitting Light Test (Lightwave)

Quote: Originally posted by minus
Just set this up quickly to try out somethings. I was actually also doing a fill test and a falloff test here too..... but I threw in an object light emission test for good measure. -- I think the fill ended up being a bit bright in the end.... but I didn't really tweak any of the scene much.

If you have some object light emissions... post em here.

Hey minus, would you consider writing up a quick tut on how to do this for the lightwave forum? i would be interested to see how you pulled the effect nicely; looks great man

all the others look awesome too...perhaps you could share some hints too?

matt

11 November 2002
TMortan: Thanks, I'll check out indirect NRG filters... I haven't meddled with them yet. I made mine by upping the luminosity to 100, setting an output map for the diffuse and luminosity and changing the RGB level to greater than 1.0 (since 1 is the default lvl) and the multiplier more than 1.0 aswell. I turned on Indirect lighting in the Luma server aswell of course. So it isn't true geometry lighting either, but I believe this is not actually possible with Brazil yet. Next version I think it should be coming out. We want Geometry lighting damnit!

11 November 2002
here's a fun little one in c4d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg objectlighting1.jpg (42.2 KB, 411 views)

11 November 2002
and here's the same thing with no other lights, and a slightly different luminous texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg objectlighting2.jpg (27.0 KB, 389 views)

11 November 2002
and another in c4d... an attempt at molten glass... that slightly uneven heat glow etc... the object lighting is a little more subtle in this and there's a little caustics too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg objectlighting3.jpg (15.0 KB, 385 views)

11 November 2002
Thats a realy nice motlen glass you got there. Not perfect, but very good. It needs some more intensity, and some specular bloom / glow wouldn't go astray for selling the effect.

11 November 2002
thanks, yeah you're right... trouble is i'm just working on a simple dual g4867 and render times when working with radiosity can be quite slow with transparent materials (this particular material rellies heavily on lighting and radiosity to work)... and there's no G2 for C4D as yet :( wish there was... then i'd be steaming anyhow. it's just fun to play around i guess. i should have put some specular bloom and general glow on there though you're right. parts of the c4d engine are based on the Final Render engine for Max so it's pretty special, and certainly very fast comparatively... but still not fast enough for little impatient me

11 November 2002
here's some fun with increasing radiosity strength to keep the tubes colour integrity while getting nice strong illumination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg objectlightin4.jpg (22.5 KB, 386 views)

11 November 2002
it's even fun when you hide the object from teh camera... ah the joys of gi and spare time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg objectlighting5.jpg (17.9 KB, 376 views)

12 December 2002
here i updated the glass blob... the artifacting is caused by me not being bothered to wait the 6 hours for it to render at 10% accuracy with lots and lots of samples... 5 or 10 minutes is more acceptable

with self caustics, but darker lighting overall (all object lighting in scenes, one spot for caustics).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg objectlighting7.jpg (22.7 KB, 359 views)

Thread Closed share thread