Subdivision question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2002
Subdivision question

Hi,
I read a lot of articles about subdivision modelling, and now I have a simple question:-)
Look at the picture:

Here I have an edgeloop that creates two polys with 3 vertices. I want to have all quads, so i split the edges and connect them with the opposite point:

But now, I broke the loop, because I have 2 point with only 3 edges and 2 point with 5 edge.
So what do I have to do?
It is better to break the loop or is better to have all quads?
Both I think:-)
Thanks

11 November 2002
Clean edgeloops and all-quads can't really co-exist in a model. These two concepts are actually used in two seperate phases of the modeling process.

First you build your model by cutting in edges, maybe doing a few extrudes and so. In this part you want to make sure that you arrange your geometry to be suitable for animation. This is where working with edgeloops is a good idea.

For a final model, most subdivision algorythms tend to prefer quad polygons and as few triangles/pentagons as possible. So in the final part of your modeling, you go and add more edges and vertices to remove these non-quad faces. You will most likely be unable to select most of your edgeloops after this process, but it's not a big problem as you usually want to work with the vertices for animation.

So it's like, model with edgeloops, finalize with quads. And in the end, don't worry too much about either - it's the result that matters :)

11 November 2002
Thanks very much, now I have a more concrete idea about edgeloop. I thought that in every step of modelling, from beginning to the end, you always pay attention to both edgeloops and quads to be ok.
Oh, very usefull the wireframe section in your site, help me a lot!
Thanks and bye!

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread