best format for DVD

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2005   #1
best format for DVD

what is the best format/method for rendering out for inclusion on DVD?

what quality?

cheers

Old 11 November 2005   #2
what is everyones preferences?

prefences for different uses i.e. internet formats?

Old 11 November 2005   #3
Originally Posted by mongrove: what is the best format/method for rendering out for inclusion on DVD?
what quality?

cheers

Uhmm, you don't have any choice in the matter - DVD's are always MPEG II. The ultimate compression ratio is dependent on how many streams you have and what type of audio you use (PCM or AC3), but that pretty much sums up all options. Resolutions are standard D1 (720x576 PAL, 720x486 NTSC) with proper pixel aspects. The only thing to take care of is to work with as little compression while editing and adding effects to avoid artefacts when converting to MPEG II.

Mylenium

Old 11 November 2005   #4
Originally Posted by mongrove: what is everyones preferences?

There you have a lot of options that largely are only dependent on which audience you target (broadband vs. dial-up, Windows vs. Mac, Streaming vs. Download). You can use Quicktime, Windows Media, Real Media, MPEG and the new Flash video. It's really not possible to cover this topic in one short postingh, but if you're thinking about putting your demo reel on your website, Quicktime would be the best because it's the most compatible solution. Do the clips in two different resolutions (large and small) and use CoDecs such as H.264, MPEG 4 or Sorensen 3.

Mylenium

Old 12 December 2005   #5
well

Obviously depends on the situation, but here's my usual setup:

FOR DVD;
If DV is part of it, I stick with the DV codec through and through to make sure there are no compression problems. Usually Quicktime with dv/dvcpro codec
If no video involved, quicktime w/ animation codec every time (sometimes blackmagic codec if working in a house with blackmagic hardware) then let the DVD software/hardware encode it down to an MPEG2 at 8Mbps or so. Sometimes this gives weird stuttery playback if the bitrate is too high so I'll go down to 7Mbps.

FOR WEB:
Again Quicktime only, don't like Windows media OR Real Player, results on both are totally hit and miss and source dependent, whereas Quicktime has never done me wrong. For Web I use the sorenson 3 (2-pass VBR) or h.264 codecs. h.264 is better IMO but is a real slow render...

Originally Posted by mongrove: what is everyones preferences?

Old 12 December 2005   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread