New Sony PSP Advert - Chris Cunningham

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2005
New Sony PSP Advert - Chris Cunningham

Chris cunningham was the creative consultant and Alex Rutterford directed it. They both worked together many times in the past on the Bjork, Rubber Jonny and Squarepusher short films/ music videos.
The mill produced it (unless im mistaken)

http://www.beam.tv/beamreels/reel_p...file=sghRXPWmbr

One of the most original ads ive seen in a while, and superbly done.

Congratulations to all those involved in it!

11 November 2005
Wow, good stuff! Definitely a huge improvement over the "take me out" U.S. ads. The one with all the morphs was just plain weird...

11 November 2005
nice ad. i like when they smack against the bus window and crawl up the tower and fight.

11 November 2005
Wow! Cool stuff there (and thank god I didn't have to rig that thing!)

11 November 2005
Originally Posted by kole: nice ad. i like when they smack against the bus window and crawl up the tower and fight.

Yeah, I'm thinking that has got to be CG glass. Can't imagine cleaning up real cracked glass. I noticed the glass cracks before the robot hits it.

Coolness in subtleties like the damage on the car when the robot jumps on top, although I would say the timing is slightly off. I also like the carwash shot, interaction with the brush and robot. CG steam I reckon. Good stuff!

11 November 2005
Hmmm... the idea was nice but the timing between the robots and the humans was off as it is often in 'let's do a cg thing!'-afternoon project... very fake, the human acting.
CG wasn't impressive, from all else what I've seen.

11 November 2005
cool ad...we had it here in the UK this summer

11 November 2005
Originally Posted by halo: cool ad...we had it here in the UK this summer

Did we?!
Blimey - i watch a fair bit of telly, and i never saw it

11 November 2005
Hi and thanks in name of the team, will pass the congrats. (yes, was done at The Mill)

The glass as the humans i am affraid are real... in fact one of them reacts a bit faster than the other because the cracking object (the object to break the glass) was a mechanical arm on the bus hitting it really hard so the guy i guess got very scared on the first go. ;-)

In terms of the animation i have to add it was a real nightmare to animate as the rig was changing dynamically from shot to shot and inside the shot as well as close as every 4 or 8 frames. Yes, you understood well, the rig "morphs" and suddenly what was just pieces become an arm, then a leg, then some of these pieces go for another arm, the other leg...

glad you enjoyed it.

11 November 2005
Really cool. The rig sounds pretty crazy. But it turned out really well.

11 November 2005
Originally Posted by Jordi Bares: Hi and thanks in name of the team, will pass the congrats. (yes, was done at The Mill)

The glass as the humans i am affraid are real... in fact one of them reacts a bit faster than the other because the cracking object (the object to break the glass) was a mechanical arm on the bus hitting it really hard so the guy i guess got very scared on the first go. ;-)

In terms of the animation i have to add it was a real nightmare to animate as the rig was changing dynamically from shot to shot and inside the shot as well as close as every 4 or 8 frames. Yes, you understood well, the rig "morphs" and suddenly what was just pieces become an arm, then a leg, then some of these pieces go for another arm, the other leg...

glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for the info Jordi

You mention how the rig changes from shot to shot, was the rig 'choreographed' for each shot, ie a certain sequence/set of poses was planned and a rig was set up to achieve this for that shot, or was there a super rig that could accomodate all the changes? I'd just like to say that I love the way it moves, kind of like some crazy displaying insect.

11 November 2005
Our original idea and early tests/pitch was based on that, a superrig that would be able to be animated and reconstrained to other "hooks" to achieve the effect while avoiding full on animation of a real morphing rig but man, it didn't work as we expected because we were tweaking the pieces of the animation almost on a per-frame basis.

That means that the director would sit down and say, okay, till here looks good, now let's move the pieces to form a pose like this, and then we go to a pose like this, reshuffle all those pieces, this now is a leg, these pieces now stop being an arm and so on.

So basically we ended up animating with our initial pose-rig, then going to another pose and building from scratch a new rig, then constraining everything to the new rig and so on and so forth.

At point (and the fight sequence and the crane are the best example) this went to a point of having a new rig every 8 frames or so... truly exhausting.

All this choreographed to the music that was insanely fast so we ended up hitting marks every 4 frames or so.

Hope this helps a bit

11 November 2005
This is a very nice piece. This is also an interesting solution to a complex rigging and animation problem. The character almost reminds me of one of those children's toys with the multiple magnets, and you can arrange them however you like.

I want a small version of that character for my office!

YouTube Channel
Char Maya Character Rig

11 November 2005
Originally Posted by Jordi Bares:
So basically we ended up animating with our initial pose-rig, then going to another pose and building from scratch a new rig, then constraining everything to the new rig and so on and so forth.

At point (and the fight sequence and the crane are the best example) this went to a point of having a new rig every 8 frames or so... truly exhausting.

All this choreographed to the music that was insanely fast so we ended up hitting marks every 4 frames or so.

Hope this helps a bit

Wow, sounds like an immense amount of work. Thanks for the reply

11 November 2005
Ah good-ol Mill

CG = great.
Advertising = eh?

So the monster is made up of all the stuff the PSP can do... then why is it fighting against itself?

Quote: Definitely a huge improvement over the "take me out" U.S. ads.

I'm curious why you say that? Did you dislike the song?
"take me out" was very good IMO. It can be condensed down to a 15 second spot and you still clearly get the msg. It's portable, and the commercial really sold it by showing reasons why you would actually buy it. IE: sitting on bus, waiting at hospital. I'm sure the budget was MUCH less than this too. Unless ofcourse they blew it all on Busta-Rhymes cameo

Thread Closed share thread