Compositing in Premiere Pro

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2005   #1
Compositing in Premiere Pro

Hi All

I am quite new to compositing, and have been introduced to its merits. I have Autodesk Viz and Premiere Pro 1.5 at my work. I want to render to frames using different layers to composite at the end, but I have reached a stumbling block.

If I render out using an image format with a premultiplied alpha, I get the white outline when I import into premiere. Using the Image Matte key as a solution recommended by Adobe only gives me the option to change the outline to black, not eliminate it.

However, if I render out a seperate alpha channel, I cannot find a way to import it into premiere as a sequence. There is an option for a single frame to be used as an alpha matte, but not a sequence of frames. Am I missing something here?

Basically, I have two sequences of still images that make up a movie. One is the colour, the other is the alpha channel. It should be damn easy for me to apply the second sequence as the alpha matte of the first, but Premiere either won't do it or makes it insanely difficult to find in the help.

Another dreaded thought - is Premiere even capable of this, or is this why Adobe also have After Effects?

Cheers for helping out

Old 10 October 2005   #2
hmmm......not sure about Premiere - I would imagine it is used mostyl for editing. What you're trying to do is more along the lines of comping. It's a breeze in any dedicated comping tool such as AE. hmmm....there is a set matte tool in Premiere, I think the problem you'll have is importing an image sequence.

Last edited by modernPrimitive : 10 October 2005 at 09:48 PM.

Old 11 November 2005   #3
you've hit the nail on the head ; you really need after effects. premiere is not a compositor.

Old 11 November 2005   #4
Yes playing with alpha and matte is tricky into premierepro, use it only for editing.
If you use max, better go with Combustion, cheap and so good (if you are familiar with max and toshop you will love combustion !!)

Kib

Old 11 November 2005   #5
The effects section of Premier is like a watered down After Effects. It features the same filters and keyframes and everything. I don't know about your matte problems though, is there is a "multiply garbage matte" button?

Old 11 November 2005   #6
In Premiere when you import, click the first frame of your sequence and then down at the bottom make sure "numbered stills" is checked. Then move your alpha to track 2, turn off visibility and set a track matte effect on your clip on track 1 and set the layer for track 2 and make it a luma matte.
And you guys would be suprised how well you can composite in premiere when you have too. I went a year without enough money for AE and I got premiere doing some pretty cool stuff.

Old 11 November 2005   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread