Environment. Refinery building.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2005
Environment. Refinery building.

Current update:

Heres my first ever game environment. I'm working to the 5000 poly mark (in quads so probably double that later on).

Im going to texture this, but I'm not sure how to break it down yet. Im thinking 4 maps. 2048*2048 for the main building. 2048*2048 for the floor (and surrounds). 1024 for the funnel. Then 512 for the barrels?

All feedback is appareciated!

Cheers

Si

Last edited by 99sproth : 11 November 2005 at 04:58 PM.

10 October 2005
I've started to do some textures. Starting with the parts that probably wont need adjustments.

Heres the funnel thing

Edit:

I'm doing this as a portfolio piece as I havn't done any game work that would really apply to current engines such as the unreal2/3 or source. Hopefully I will be able to get some better work with it.

Cheers

Simon

Last edited by 99sproth : 10 October 2005 at 12:24 AM.

10 October 2005
Great work man! Keep it up!

10 October 2005
Like what you've got going on...
Just had one critical thought: looking a little photoshoppy on the maps.
Are you working from photo reference, or have you considered actually slicing up and reusing real photos?

10 October 2005
thanks for the comments guys

I've worked on the textures a bit.

Started on the ground, and have added more detail to the funnel. I'm pretty desperate for any c&c if anyone has any pointers.

Link to high res pic

Cheers

Simon

Last edited by 99sproth : 10 October 2005 at 03:05 PM.

10 October 2005
ground textures great, barrel texture looks good, top of chimmmeny looks really cool, but the base dosnty llok very good. i would remove those lines and stains, at the moment they look out of place, or random. maybe break the base up into big blocks of concrete, not like bricks like sections, with oil/sludge stains comming from the cracks between.

10 October 2005
Hey man, I really like the modeling and texturing. What is the lighting setup your using right now to render?

10 October 2005
Love the style of this piece! looks nice! textures are good, great mood. Would fit into a game no problem! can't wait to see it finished.. Finchy

10 October 2005
Quote: What is the lighting setup your using right now to render?

Lightwave and fprime. Basicly radiosity and a luminous white dome. Then a nice yellow area light to add the yellow specular tinge.

Quote: Are you working from photo reference, or have you considered actually slicing up and reusing real photos?

I started off working from my mind but I've noticed it really doesn't work too well so I have google open for reference. Idont want to chop photos, as If I got a job where I actually HAD to paint the textures I worry I'd be out of practice.

Quote: maybe break the base up into big blocks of concrete, not like bricks like sections, with oil/sludge stains comming from the cracks between.

Exacty what i'm going to do next. Seems more logical too.

Thanks guys I appreciate all inputs

ps finch your site isnt working

Last edited by 99sproth : 10 October 2005 at 12:07 AM.

10 October 2005
Going to bed now. I've made some major changes. Got thrown off by a visit from my girlfriend, in which who I explained (or tried to) the concept of 3d modeling and rendering to. grr!

Sorry about the bad render I rushed it so the yellow light got messed up and screwed the scenes colours.

I also notice geomentry is dissapearing from my main building. WTF!? I think my compter is haunted!

Si

10 October 2005
Dude, I've been trying to explain how it works to my wife for 6 years. Anyway. That new patch work on the large containment area doesn't work as nicelyu as what you had going on before. The asphalt is turning out quite nice. When are you gonna do stairs and step ladders?

Nice design and layout. For some reason it makes me think of Syphon Filter and Metal Gear Solid. Keep it up.

10 October 2005
Hi,
this is looking good, but I think you should reconsider you polycount and map size if you wish to make it a piece of a game oriented portfolio. 2048² maps are WAY too big, even for nextGen consoles. 512² would be great I think, lower even better (on ps2 I use to produce 128² maps with 4 bits depth, 16 colors). As for your polycount, they are many useless quads over there. You use GI for your render, but you have to make a choice. In game you use vertex lighting or maps. I you use vertex ligting then high polycount is not a problem, but you have to use it wisely. On the oposite if you use light maps or directly render to textures you could lower a lot the overall polycount.

10 October 2005
i wouldn't be too afraid of using phototextures for your building, lloks like your using some for your ground anyway. If anyhign, texture overlays will really help ontop of your painted work. I agree, about the paneling for the cylinder, maybe try and go with a huge rusted plate metal patchin, but keep with the round motif, rivits, welding creases, etc. Using photo's for your base is a proper way to start out textures on a photorealistic enviroment, atleast for quickness sake. Anyway i would start roughing out a few more pieces, instead of being stuck on it, and hopefully with fleashing it out, you will notice what needs to be changed. rock on.
-schu

11 November 2005
I think the modeling is good. I think the texturing needs some love.

-I don't think that the hand painted textures are workin on the main tower. They look like hand painted textures. If you have access to photos of metal use that. My opinion on hand painted textures is why spend hours trying to make something look like metal when you have a picture of metal already.

-I think that the scale on the piece is all screwed. Think of it this way. In real life how big would the cracks on the concrete be copare to the main tower. Or how big would the lines between the panel be compare the the tower.

- Some of us aren't good enough to hand paint textures its just a fact. I can't do it. Why try.
-Use pictures, that's what they're for. In the job you'll be given photos to textures. there's just so much happening in photos that you'll never be able to paint it.

It sounds like you're trying to put a portfolio together. Your modeling is not bad. Texturing at this point is your weakest.

work on your scale. work on your textures. That's just my opinion. Good luck.

11 November 2005
Hi thanks.

Ive been quiet abount the model for about a week now. But I've finnally finnished the things like ladders and railings.

The model still looks very empty. Should I put in some crates, or maybe build a forklift?

the textures I Have stared to use photo reference for. I've found ways to clone my textures much like I did on the ground to get a good effect. I'll repost tonight.

Cheers for all the help.

I'll get working again!

Simon

Thread Closed share thread