Please Help, I Need to remove this LINE!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2005   #1
Unhappy Please Help, I Need to remove this LINE!

Hi, i m kinda new at modeling but im picking it up pretty quikly. so i need to remove this damn line and i have been playin with it forever and now i need some help. So what is that line doing there, it showed up after i used the boolean tool, and can i get rid of it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg stupid_line.jpg (40.8 KB, 20 views)

Old 10 October 2005   #2
You can try using 2 different objects, 1 for the clamp body and 1 for the hole.

Old 10 October 2005   #3
Hi

Welcome to the community

Its impossible to remove this line.
Its impossible to have a polygon with a hole and have no physical connection between the outter frame and the inner. LW renders polygons with more than 4 points, called n-gons where n>4

Other 3d apps prefer only trigons, quads (4 points)

In the rendering this line doesnt show, its visible only in wireframe.
There are ways in Layout to render wireframe-like without these lines, you will find this after some deeper experience.

Good luck

Old 10 October 2005   #4
hehe That line is there for a reason. Whenever you cut a hole in a polygon, you are not actually creating a hole. It's kind of hard to describe, but imagine you are cutting a board with a band saw, to get the saw to the middle you might cut a straight line to the middle then cut the part out of the middle. That's actually what is happening when you do the boolean. That line will not show up in your renderings, but will show up when you are looking at the polygons.

Grats on your start with lightwave, looks like you're getting the hang of it.

Old 10 October 2005   #5
If you're talking about the line at the top-right corner, that's not going anywhere. It's the polygon border.
The whole gray side that's facing us is one polygon. Since a single polygon can not be a ring(or can not have a hole in it) when you tried to drill the hole Lw made it a polygon that connected itself on one edge.
I hope this won't cause even more confusion.

edit: my post took oo long to write so you have 2 answers
edit2: damn i didn't realize that it was more than 2. I should start taking some typing lessons. All I do with keyboard is lw shortcuts

Last edited by ercax : 10 October 2005 at 10:37 PM.

Old 10 October 2005   #6
In order to remove this line from your render you need to change some settings.

The line itself is part of the modelling process so it has to stay but in teh object properties under "edges" tab you can have the program draw lines on only sharp edges. This will draw the lines on corners and angles but will not draw them on flat surfaces.

Old 10 October 2005   #7
Talking Thank You!

You guys are awsome thanks a lot for the help, sorry it was such a NEWB question haha.

Old 10 October 2005   #8
Hi XEP5k

Nobody was borned with knowledge, everyone passed from these areas.
I dont want to discourage you to ask questions here, as long as you tried to solve any problems you have yourself and you read the manual too.

For some things I read the manuals too, even after many years of experience.
Its impossible to remember everything.

If you learn something by yourself, its impossible to forget it cause you've been through the process of understanding how things work.

No need for private thanks, its everyone's pleasure to help each other

Old 10 October 2005   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread