best training on digital painting ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2005   #1
best training on digital painting ?

i come from a traditional art background and also learning 3d but I really want to dust off my wacom tablet and learn to paint using photoshop. What in your opinions are the best introductory videos for digital painting using photoshop ?

web/animation designer

Old 10 October 2005   #2
I would check out the Photoshop videos from Gnomon, they are very helpful and you'll learn a lot about the techniques the pros use. Personally I prefer the Matte Painting videos whether they're in PS or Painter, it's the tecnique and to learn how to set up your color palette right that counts the most.
You'll learn most about the program by tinkering with it yourself, just explore it and check out some online tutorials and you'll be ready to paint in no time

Old 10 October 2005   #3
Well in my opinion, the very 1st thing everyone who wants to get into digital painting should do is to learn drawing/painting with pencil and paper and the color theory.

Don't know if it's your case but many people simply think that the program (Photoshop, Painter etc.) will magically transform them into digital artists. That's of course not true

If it's not your case and you're "good enough" (in quote marks because there's in fact nothing as good enough) at using brush or pencil you should really check www.thegnomonworkshop.com or www.digitaltutors.com . I personally prefer written tutorials anyway but Gnomon Workshop DVD's are pretty cool as well!

Good luck!

Old 10 October 2005   #4
if you are good at traditional art, you wont have too much of a problem hitting the photoshop route. The biggest hurdle to jump is getting used to the tablet.

After that, I suggest looking into pressure sensitive brushes and learning the keyboard shortcuts... (your best friends are Ctrl+Z, which is undo, and Alt, your color picker) you'll be getting it down in no time, I'm sure.

Also-- the d'artiste book that gets advertized everywhere on here was definitely worth the money for me. I found it extremely helpful.

Old 10 October 2005   #5
as I mentioned, i have done/studied traditional drawing and painting in the past but i haven't done it in a while and never painted in photoshop other than doing web work. I think i'll get myself some painting books and get more comfortable with my tablet. Maybe take a photograph and paint away in photoshop. thx

web/animation designer

Old 10 October 2005   #6
I know a lot of people say that watching the Gnomon tutorials and Ryan Church's stuff but I've found that I've learned much much more from just experimenting, practicing, and putting my knowledge of natural media to use in photoshop. Try things and see what happens, that why you'll always remember them. Who knows, maybe you'll find a new way of doing things

Old 10 October 2005   #7
Originally Posted by patchworksorceress: I know a lot of people say that watching the Gnomon tutorials and Ryan Church's stuff but I've found that I've learned much much more from just experimenting, practicing, and putting my knowledge of natural media to use in photoshop. Try things and see what happens, that why you'll always remember them. Who knows, maybe you'll find a new way of doing things

I thought it's pretty obvious that any dvd won't make you second Ryan Church
Practice, Practice, Practice, Try & Fail, Practice, Practice, Practice, Experiment, Practice - that's the way which leads somewhere.

Old 10 October 2005   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread