LAN and ping?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2005
LAN and ping?

Hi, this might sound terribly stupid to ask, but I'm not expert on intranet. So, I have a desktop and a laptop, connected through router.

The router lights flicker, and each comp can ping each other's local IP, and the router's IP as well. All firewalls are off, and they all live in the same workgroup.

Now I can't see or search for the other computer, or shared files (eg. by typing \\mydesktop\). What am I missing to make them visible to each other?

A few weeks ago when in California and elsewhere, the LAN worked fine. Max could network render and all. The same physical setup brought here in NY, something just went awry. I did change some software stuff, but can't remember too well.

More info...
desktop: win xp pro (version 2002) --i dun't know about sp1 or sp2 or none?
laptop: win xp pro sp2 (with all latest windows updates)

10 October 2005
did you make sure that all your file shares are active?

10 October 2005
In the folder options, turn off simple file sharing. This normally screws up any sort of networking you may wish to do.
Reel

10 October 2005
For sharing method, I always used right click folder->file sharing->check on "share file/folder on intranet", instead of using that "my shared docs..." method.

lots, i see that checkbox on, but it was prob on there for ages back when my lan worked. Are you sure, or is this a new issue with Sp2? (I did do most updates on xp in the laptop after California).

EDIT: lots, i check it off, so sharing options reverts to traditional style. I restarted these comps, did several Restores on the laptop before coming back to 10/2 restore point. I think windows deleted the very old restore points back when my lan worked. Nothing works yet. I think the problem is either this laptop, or the old router. Cuz i noticed my desktop sometimes did show the laptop name under my workgroup besides the desktop itself. However I can't SEE any shared folders, not even the "printer n' fax" icon. The laptop here can't see the desktop...weird.

Last edited by gopherCG : 10 October 2005 at 03:59 PM.

10 October 2005
yah! i got it. (after days of trying...) i changed the computers' workgroup name, restarted, and everything works now .

10 October 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread