The first 3D app?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #1
The first 3D app?

Hey evryone

i always had this question , What was the first 3D app ever? And what 3D app was used the first time in a movie? And Since when did ppl start using maya in movies and etc...

Just those questions..

Thx

Sheherryar

Old 09 September 2005   #2
Might want to rent the Tron DVD and watch the special features. They talk about having to get the programmers to write code to make a "camera" and implementing things like depth coloring to simulate "fog" or depth in the images. Maya for movies is relatively new, I can't see it having been used in a feature before "Bingo", which was what, 98? Poweranimator is a different story, but you asked about Maya.
Mike

Old 09 September 2005   #3
The first 3D app commercially availbale was Wavefront in 1984. It was the precursor to PowerAnimator which was the precursor to Maya.

The first movie to use any sort of 3D was Futureworld in 1974.

Maya didn't get released until 1997 IIRC, couldn't tell you waht was the first movie to use it.

More fun facts here

http://accad.osu.edu/~waynec/history/timeline.html

Old 09 September 2005   #4
I don't know which was the very first app, but here is a very very interesting video from the pioneers of the CG industry talking about the human story of computer animation.

(link taken from computer history museum site)

Animusing Productions
old animation stuff.

Old 09 September 2005   #5
Originally Posted by Cronholio: The first 3D app commercially availbale was Wavefront in 1984. It was the precursor to PowerAnimator which was the precursor to Maya.
Almost correct, except that Wavefront wasn't the precurser to Power Animator. Alias and Wavefront were two competing companies. SGI bought both of them and combined them into one company. Maya is a combination of Wavefront Expolore, Power Animator and 5 other products.

Old 10 October 2005   #6
Originally Posted by Cronholio: The first 3D app commercially availbale was Wavefront in 1984. It was the precursor to PowerAnimator which was the precursor to Maya.

The first movie to use any sort of 3D was Futureworld in 1974.

Maya didn't get released until 1997 IIRC, couldn't tell you waht was the first movie to use it.

More fun facts here

http://accad.osu.edu/~waynec/history/timeline.html

I read at wikipedia that the first 3D app commercially available was MAGI SynthaVision. it was being sould before it was used to make some imagery for Tron. And that just after MAGI modified its raycasting system to generate images, instead of calculating the radiation of nuclear reactors. That was in early 70s

Whispering Deep
Sleepy Hollow Western Forests

Old 10 October 2005   #7
here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_CGI_in_films

Most early examples used propreitary / specially developed tools; the appearance of commercial software in major films is pretty recent. I don't know about Maya's history that well. Alias / Wavefront did make 3-D programs before Maya, though.

Last edited by knellotron : 10 October 2005 at 04:35 AM.

Old 10 October 2005   #8
Originally Posted by beaker: Almost correct, except that Wavefront wasn't the precurser to Power Animator. Alias and Wavefront were two competing companies. SGI bought both of them and combined them into one company. Maya is a combination of Wavefront Expolore, Power Animator and 5 other products.

Yes, Wavefront|TDI was a merger of Wavefront and Thompson Digital Imaging, and that merger gave them a big product line with TAV (The Advanced Visualizer) from the former Wavefront side, and Explore, Kinemation, Dynamation on the TDI side. Then Wavefront|TDI got bought by SGI and merged with Alias Research (with its Alias Studio/Power Animator line). In the end, lots of formerly competing programs were owned by one company, and they borrowed bits from several of them in making Maya.

Power Animator was a configuration of Alias Studio, which is still being sold. Now Alias Studio is being marketed for industrial design, not the entertainment industry, but it is still the same program that used to be sold as Power Animator.

-jeremy

Old 10 October 2005   #9
Originally Posted by jeremybirn: Power Animator was a configuration of Alias Studio, which is still being sold. Now Alias Studio is being marketed for industrial design, not the entertainment industry, but it is still the same program that used to be sold as Power Animator.
Well sorta, it is missing many modules that PA had. All the modeling stuff is there and the gui is mostly the same, but most of the character animation and all the particles, dynamics, warp deformers, toon renderer, etc... are gone.

Old 10 October 2005   #10
I was watching the video that Dennik linked and had to pause mid-video to make a post about how much in awe (don't know how to spell that word for the context) I was when watching the first 15 minutes.....AWESOME AND AMAZING. check it out everybody.....back to the vid.

Game Assets Thread

Personal Site

Last edited by itsallgoode9 : 10 October 2005 at 07:51 AM.

Old 10 October 2005   #11
Originally Posted by Dennik: I don't know which was the very first app, but here is a very very interesting video from the pioneers of the CG industry talking about the human story of computer animation.

(link taken from computer history museum site)

Thank you very much for posting that link. I learned a lot from it. Adds a nice human face to 3D.
Chris

Old 10 October 2005   #12
Originally Posted by Kico82: Thank you very much for posting that link. I learned a lot from it. Adds a nice human face to 3D.
Chris

YES! I wanted to double post to hopefully get more people to check that link out, but I held back till somebody else posted lol As I said before, check out that video everybody! Long, but VERY inspironational!

Game Assets Thread

Personal Site

Old 10 October 2005   #13
Originally Posted by Dennik: - - - here is a very very interesting video from the pioneers of the CG industry talking about the human story of computer animation.

WATCH IT.

NOW.

Most inspirational thing ever. Not to mention the fact that Brad Bird is quite a comedian

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Old 10 October 2005   #14
So if i get this right... Maya is a mix between several apps? Sounds kinda messed up...

Is that the reason why maya is used alot in the film industrie becuz the former apps that where used are now all in one ''Maya''?

And why is it still called ''Alias'' then? If other companies buyd it?

Sheherryar

Old 10 October 2005   #15
Originally Posted by Gangstashers: So if i get this right... Maya is a mix between several apps? Sounds kinda messed up...

as if Maya wasn't kinda messed up

Originally Posted by Gangstashers: Is that the reason why maya is used alot in the film industrie becuz the former apps that where used are now all in one ''Maya''?

They use it because it's one of the best apps on the market. Also changing a pipeline from a Maya based one to a something else based one shouldn't be easy and cheap.

Originally Posted by Gangstashers: And why is it still called ''Alias'' then? If other companies buyd it?

Volkswagen bought Lamborghini, but they didn't call the Murcielago "VW Murcielago". Avid bought Softimage, but they didn't call XSI "Avid XSI".

Thread Closed share thread