Other options for characterizing?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #1
Question Other options for characterizing?

Is there any other way to charcterize a mocap file other than the drag and drop deal? I understand that there are scripting options, but we do not have the pro version(running MB6). Are there work arounds for either one of these? Links or redirecting me to the proper information would be greatly appreciated-thanks!

Old 09 September 2005   #2
What do you mean by "other way to charcterize a mocap file other than the drag and drop deal?"

Though I deal with mocap every day, I never characterized a mocap file.

Old 09 September 2005   #3
Talking well...

(just to recap) in order to "convert" my .bvh file into a .fbx file, I need to characterize it so that the naming conventions match up to MB format. So you need to drag and drop a "character" onto the mocap within MB. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told this is the method for using a .bvh file in MB. If there is another method that would be great, I've tried everything else that I could think of at this point. Thanks!

Old 09 September 2005   #4
I haven't tried this before but... Under the character def panel, after first dragging and sropping the bones to the correct slots, you can save a custom "chracterizeable hierarchy" which presumably can be used every time you have a skeleton with the same hierarchy. Look in the reference manual on how to actually dot it .

Old 09 September 2005   #5
Talking ummm...

well thats not really the issue, its more of getting the skeleton characterized without dragging and dropping the preset "character" that's located in the assets window>characters folder. Do you know of any other way to do this or is it the only way?

Last edited by Favian001 : 09 September 2005 at 04:41 PM. Reason: unnecessary info

Old 09 September 2005   #6
Originally Posted by Favian001: well thats not really the issue, its more of getting the skeleton characterized without dragging and dropping the preset "character" that's located in the assets window>characters folder. Do you know of any other way to do this or is it the only way?

My bad for misunderstanding. The answer however is - no.

Old 09 September 2005   #7
you can dragdrop charcter also in Navigator onto the topmost Object of your hierarchy to characterize-- but wait, that also drag& drop--
whats wrong with drag & drop?

Olli

Old 09 September 2005   #8
Talking o.k...

So I guess I'll tell you guys why I want to know if this works without drag and drop. I have over 2000 MoCap's that I need to run through and would like to program an automation process instead of getting carpaltunel from dragging and dropping over 2000 times. I actually finally resolved the issue yesterday and yes donShole was right, just as I had thought, there is no other way except drag and drop. We did resolve it though and I appreciate everyones input!

Last edited by Favian001 : 09 September 2005 at 02:29 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #9
Well, this is the same issue I answered in constraints some time ago. Once constraints are created it's possible to reuse this kind of rig on other file by merging whole file with contraints but in merging options having models unchecked.

The same applies to characters (your problem here), character faces, actor faces, materials, shadres and so on. There is only one requirement: models must have the same names as in file which is mereged.

Old 10 October 2005   #10
Talking ummm...

yeah I tried that, but it didn't work. The names were the same and everything... I'm doing good with the winbatch so far, I do appreciate your help though.

Old 10 October 2005   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread