The Mixtape: The Anatomy Art of Pusha V

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Cool The Mixtape: The Anatomy Art of Pusha V

Hello and welcome to another episode of The Mixtape presented by Pusha V and unofficially sponored by the world famous Rebecca Kimmel!

Alright Rebecca suggested that I make an anatomy thread for my art. So bear with me people as your eyes gaze upon my ugly works of art.

Rules: Destroy and crit my stuff. I need it badly. If you want me to paint a picture of you post your picture and I may will paint you if I am not busy on something else.

The Goal: To make me better at this stuff.

Here we go.

Time to make a new photobucket account for this. And make another painting.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Last edited by pushav : 09 September 2005 at 03:13 AM.

09 September 2005
Talking

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

I'm thrilled to see you took me up on my offer and created your own work thread here. Beware, I now know where to find you to kick your butt into gear.

I'd really like to see you continue to develop this painting, as I really think you have a nice sense of color, in the pastel range especially, and darn it if I don't just want to see you finish something.

But, I also think it would be a great exercise for you to do a master copy like I talked about earlier ~ in fact, I'll even give you a choice of paintings to copy ~ aren't I nice?

1. Gustave Caillebotte's 'The Floor Scrapers'

2. Degas' 'The Bath'

3. Another Degas Bath Picture Who Knows the Title?

4. Caillebotte's Nature morte aux fruits (My favorite and pick ~ though it's not anatomy, it will certainly help you to paint generally)

Maybe make a choice by tomorrow, then start?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
I forgot that I had this laying around on my hard drive.Lol. I never posted it.

Now time to find references.

Last edited by pushav : 09 September 2005 at 03:30 AM.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

I'm thrilled to see you took me up on my offer and created your own work thread here. Beware, I now know where to find you to kick your butt into gear.

Oh noooooooo it is a trap! I knew it!

09 September 2005
Talking

pushav,

Erm...why did you never post this? It's a good start ~ and shows a really nice painterly approach. I really think you should start with this impressionistic block approach. You don't have to render just because you are using a paint package ~ there's no style limit, really.

I suggest going after one of these figurative OFDW paintings with a really loose, gestural painterly approach ~ and simultaneously tackling one of the Master Paintings linked above. Work on both pieces back and forth ~ you will learn from both experiences. I also recommend copying #4, the fruit piece ~ it isn't anatomy, but in a way, that's good, because it will just get you comfortable with moving paint around.

Whaddya say?

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Rebecca-I dunno why I never posted it. I may have been playing Socom2 during that time or typing on of my billions of papers due for class. I forgot.
Sorry.

*Walks up to the council.... I choose the bath!*

*The crowd Cheers!*

Yeah I am more familliar with the bath. I think the picture is in my design book. (I should have sold it back to the bookstore at the end of that semester. 70 bucks for nothing lol.)

Does it have to be exact exact. I am bad at that stuff. I tend to be more of a stylized artist.

Last edited by pushav : 09 September 2005 at 03:42 AM.

09 September 2005
Talking

pushav,

You have chosen...wisely.

Nope, it need not be exact. I think the purpose should be to push paint around, get comfortable creating form through value, and also working on edge variation and control. I think the colors in 'The Bath' picture are perfectly suited to your taste, and so it should be fun for you to do...the nice thing about the impressionistic style is that they weren't after precision, either ~ it's what made their work so beautiful.

Commencement date...tomorrow?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Lol Pusha V never sleeps.

Here is what I have so far......

I blocked and smoothed out the colors.

I plan on pushing it more in painter.

09 September 2005
Talking

pushav,

Damn, that was fast. Nice start there! You do have a really good sense of blocking in form thru color ~ perhaps this is your calling?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: pushav,

Damn, that was fast. Nice start there! You do have a really good sense of blocking in form thru color ~ perhaps this is your calling?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

It is just a matter of eyeballing the color. and don't care about how it looks in the begining. Smoothing will help take care of missing values. The part I stuggle on is refining a painting. I suck at that. Maybe I should use the pencil tool to help me do that.

09 September 2005
Talking

Hmm, I think whatever works...like you say, don't worry about getting this perfect ~ just work with it to the best of your ability, and add gradually to the painting, as you are comfortable. Do things as you really see them ~ don't force yourself into a particular perspective.

I think the key is to think of this as an analysis of a painting ~ break it down according to rules that make sense to you. Save states frequently, so that you can always go back to something you liked previously and such. I like the current state frankly ~ keep that as a copy, and keep going. Let me know if you need help.

EDIT: Also, have you ever done an erase out drawing? Traditionally? By that, I mean where you take a charcoal stick, sand it into powder, and cover a large canson sheet of drawing paper with the dust, rubbing it in with a chamois and a paper towel. Then, using a white rubber eraser, cut to a sharp point with an exacto knife, and using it to pick out the lights, after first establishing a light drawing with charcoal pencil. It is a great technique for a beginning painter. It's very much like the technique Sheff demonstrated, except using dry media. This really helps to see darks and lights, the key to understanding what a painting is all about.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 04:47 AM.

09 September 2005
I have heard of erasing out figures before. I don't really like doing that because my figures turn out to being dull and flat. For some reason traditionally I work from light to dark.
I finished another one amd I will post it soon along with the next part of the bath image.

09 September 2005
Here are 2 more I made.

09 September 2005
pusha V, it's seems you may of missed my post on you apple, there's some links on there that would help a hundred, (by the way it's me spanz remember...treasure island mod sheets !!) anyway good to see you here at cg, man the paintings are coming along very nice, it's not the brush control, but try the brush sizes "hint" to receive HI FI detail, there's two ways you can go, and right now it looks like john singer sargent (very good artist indeed) but he is some help sites:

www.goodbrush.com
www.pinoart.com
there are more and he is the one site I offered last time http://www.oil-painting-techniques....lor-theory.html good luck and you're beating me pretty bad on the dope production work keep it up, I'm still doing animation "hint" and illustration work and 3d work as well

09 September 2005
and as i look thru you got the light thing down using color, it's just about pitching with color and creating forms, I have some stuff but can't post them yet because there leading to other projects, and the moment someone see's them, it will spark too many ideas, so I have to create work just for forums alone, so it becomes a little bit harder, I'll post some of it soon and we'll see where it goes and what direction, but try the brushes (sizing) and over lapping it you look at pino's stuff, the edge's are created with smaller brushes, there's another technique but I swore code of honor that I wouldn't tell, I just hope you see it like i did, keep up the good work and I'll but looking for more pieces from you, plus you're the only person I've seen use quote's from 50 cent !! lol !!

09 September 2005
Talking

pushav,

That second one is epecially nice! You are quite good with capturing light...why not go for an abstracted piece, just capturing light as you are? Blocky shapes, etc...good direction for you, I think.

~Rk

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
From the drawing board.org/glines forums right?
Yeah. what's goning on. I been hang out here longer than anywhere else. I am acctually becoming somewhat productive here. LOL.

LOL i was just thinking of sargent. Time to make another folder on the computer to jack his stuff lol.

09 September 2005
Rebecca-This is about as far as I can go with a painting. Lol. I am bad at detailing. I can only do detail work when line art is used.
Thanks for the comments every one!

Last edited by pushav : 09 September 2005 at 01:16 AM.

09 September 2005
Talking

pushav,

Hmm, that's why I think a Gnomon DVD Workshop would be good. I'm not talking about a CGWorkshop ~but a free Workshop here on the Anatomy Forum like the OFDWs, where people would buy their own DVDs, and we'd all work on the exercises together in an informal Workshop. And, btw, if you participated in the OFDWs, you might improve your painting skills ~ ~no griping about costly stuff when there's lots here that's free!

~Rk

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
yup from the drawing board, this is my ultimate hangout, hey and thanks rebecca for the responses, (I laugh at the picture everytime I see it), but pusha V for details try smaller brushes it's really simplistic if you think about it, you have alot of power in color you have to control the detail, and not over work it, even features are still based on composition and what you want the viewer to look at, or you feel this is a suggested piece, my new phase now is pushing it farther, always zoom in and out to see what it looks like from far away and up close to see what changes can be made, and always ask your self how can I push this further, how can I make this image have more punch and better, and what new techniques can I create out of this, composition is a key role, then creating color keys is another, you can pump these out in now time, once I got familiar (and still getting familiar with brushes there's a whole new world about to open, I have a wacom tablet, but doesn't work out for me, so for me to pressurize the brush and line I change the opacity, to overlap colors or even blend, look at other artist brush strokes and direction:

layout:
major forms block in
color composition
establish light source and " CORE SHADOWS" "hint" !! with smaller brushes
lights can be established with reds yellows, white blues, but yellows and reds are really bright colors if you used them, you can always look at Norman Rockwell, but the basic drawing skills do apply, if you know the structure you know the form, tonal values

09 September 2005
Talking

the rookie,

Hey there, sounds like you have some good advice. Thanks for the tips.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
I am a noobie when it comes to lighting and shading. I use white to light up my drawings lol. No lie.

09 September 2005
That's still good thoe, I use to get chewed on about using white and black to color certain areas and was forced to use alternative colors to implement that and it works fine to some degree, but monochrome is what everybody wants and uses, I messin with painter now, trying to still adjust to the brushes still having a tad bit hard time, but pusha v your ahead of the game, you have to experiment with those smaller brushes, I got a ton of stuff to show you, but I'll try to find sites that's best or close to some of the things I'm speaking of, I'm trying to build up to this steve mcqueen piece I'm working on, it's based on the movie bullitt

09 September 2005
Lol i still use white and gey to darken my colors. I think the key is to change the opacity or light glaze as done in traditional work.

I created an arsenal of brushes in painter and I am never satisfyied.

I think that I have like 20 and counting. I have even more in photoshop.

09 September 2005
I really didn't want to post this, but I did this in a couple of minutes, everything is way off and until I get a better handle on the brushes it will take some time, I thought this was kinda of commicial piece, which lead me to Steve Mcqueen, but this is a image produced with no reference and off the top of my head in a couple of minutes or seconds, I'm trying various things in these piece, but the focus was the brushes, I use my own brush set 5, 9, 15, 25, 30, and so on, I'm gonna work on some still life stuff, to try to manipulate light more like you did on one of the pieces pusha v, but we'll see where it goes...(Now that I look at it, it's pretty terrible..)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ceasar.jpg (86.6 KB, 31 views)

09 September 2005
Pretty horried... but maybe i'll polish it up with more depth, i got some materials i got to cover, but i did experiment alot of things in that one that will help thee other ones for future reference(I'll go over it later, I'm trying some new character design stuff for Illustrations painting with oils..hmm..maybe I'll try a figure once to give it a shot) pusha v you did pretty good on some of the full figure ones, but I'm still experimenting !!

09 September 2005
Talking

the rookie,

Hey there, I don't think this is terrible ~ have you ever tried doing purely a value study?

You ought to take some time to go through this thread:

Anatomy Review 003: SHADING TUTORIAL AND HUMAN SKULL EXERCISE

if you have not already. It discusses the importance of value over color in a painting, and there is some amazing work from a range of people with different abilities in there ~ great stuff. I really recommend at least looking at the beginning tutorial, and then using the links on the first page to find work and smaller tutorials scattered throughout the lesson.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
That is how my stuf looks lol. The next step is to picasso it by using painter's blending tools. That is the secret. OOps it is not a secret any more.
You know that it is time for.....
The anatomy thread of the rookie.
I can see it now.

On my next post I will post an unsmoothed version.

09 September 2005
pushav. How about less talk / spam, more action, eh?

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: pushav. How about less talk / spam, more action, eh?

Lol. I do have life drawing gestures that I did today. I will post. them soon.

I am trying to help the rookie. Don't worry Rebecca. I have lods of work done but I am too lazy to post them and scan them. I should set a day in the week for scanner day. Lol.

09 September 2005
Here ya go Rook.
I made this to show you how I approach this.

I made strokes going in various directions to help build him. It is kinda easy worm me to do it due to my experience as a sketch/portrait artist. The key is to trick they eye into seeing one thing that is not really there. Kind of like those paintings where you stand far from it and you will say wow until you get close to it and you will say wtf?

09 September 2005
Rebecka, there some great stuff on there, here let me share some of these, I normally don't show anybody these...but here... http://spanz.ctshare.com/At-Key/IMAG0017.JPG this is a older still life, I have tons more, but this all I had on disc for the time being, been very busy, also here's a site I reference from if this helps anyone http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/14030 but I'll post some more once I get a handle on these brushes, may even join in on some of the sessions !!

09 September 2005
I like the blends on it, various indeed, blend for me doesn't work like that, it's the first time I really tried digital painting all the way, but I like painting with the new painter IX and if i can get the tools to catch up with my retarded-ness, maybe I can get some stuff done, I'll try some thing...

09 September 2005
I used my image host to post drawings but maybe I'll resized them later, here's a older drapery study http://spanz.ctshare.com/At-Key/IMAG0018.JPG

09 September 2005
It takes a while and you have to get the pressure right when doing it on the Wacom tablet or any other graphic tablet. I never use the default blenders. I tend to make my own so I could have my own distinct style.

You can color galze over those pencils you did and then smude it in painter to make it look like oils.

Yeah we had to do something like that in my drawing class. We had to take crumppled paper towels and draw and shade it. Thooses were the days. Lol. Still lifes and all. Man it was boring. I got by drawing wolverine a lot lol.

Nice sketches.

Last edited by pushav : 09 September 2005 at 04:37 AM.

09 September 2005
yup, i got a wacom tablet, but it sucks, it throws my natural hand off, I got a older tablet wacom graphire tablet, it it just wouldn't go for me, so now I am forced like yoda and his cane to use the mouse... !! it sucks for the time being and very time consuming but I'll get the hang off it, I'm planning to buy a bigger size tablet and maybe introus tablet, I've been back and forth with between the tablet and the mouse, my tablet is 4x3 or something like that,very some and sucks bad, just like my work LOL !!

09 September 2005
Thanks V on the comment, those are way older sketches but I still do them just to keep fine tuned, I've gotten a hundred times better thoe, and maybe it is overdue for new pictures, I got tons of stuff layin around, just been busy as all hell, the concepts I do have down , it's a matter of time for mastery, I'm trying to give Wacom a chance, I want it to function the way I want it but it's going to take time

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by the rookie: yup, i got a wacom tablet, but it sucks, it throws my natural hand off, I got a older tablet wacom graphire tablet, it it just wouldn't go for me, so now I am forced like yoda and his cane to use the mouse... !! it sucks for the time being and very time consuming but I'll get the hang off it, I'm planning to buy a bigger size tablet and maybe introus tablet, I've been back and forth with between the tablet and the mouse, my tablet is 4x3 or something like that,very some and sucks bad, just like my work LOL !!

Lol. What I did was set my graphire to soft under the wacom setting. I turned it all the way down. Now when you work in painter the opacity flow is more natrual. Yeah I have a graphire also. Lol. it is 4x5 somthing like that.the small one. I wanted a small one to fit next to my keyboard. I normally draw my work traditionally the paint my work like a comic colorist would then tweak it a lot. The mouse does fell better to me when i am flatting colors.

09 September 2005
I'll try that right now and see what I can get, I'm probley gonna be up pretty late working on various stuff, man I do have a bunch of crap laying around, I'm gonna work on some short still life stuff, but the soft mode on the wacom sounds like a success point, I'll give it a shot, thanks!!

09 September 2005
Yeah I was frustrated also and I basically said to my self f$@# it time to me up my settings to see what works for me. It is easier to get the various pressures better in painter. Photoshop on the other had is not as good when it comes to the natural feel. Your welcome for the tips!

09 September 2005
Talking

the rookie,

Nice stuff! You ought to post here, we have a drapery thread...just do a search for 'drapery', and it should turn up.

Great to see your stuff! You have a lot of talent there!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Thanks, and mega thanks for putting all the work together that you do on the forum, you have alot of stuff, I've got to make some time to read thru everything, maybe you guys can help me on the brush thing, I want to have more paint with my brush and I can't really get the strokes like I want, maybe I can cheat it some where...I have a bunch of drawings, but I let someone use may digital camara for two weeks out of the country, so I have to wait, and the pictures I posted are older stuff for 2003 to 04 probley (I didn't date it because they where study pieces for other work, choppy indeed I need to work on that, I always tell myself) The drawings are huge,30 something by something, I have to look and see, I have my Master Study I did, but I didn't finish it for various reasons, it looks better in person and I was offer some money for it already, but I'm giving it to my family to keep, I've had some sketchbooks stolen from me as well, it sucks to because there were some really good drawings in there, but it was kinda of stupid for somebody wanting to steal sketchbooks, I have'nt had that happen since middle school and it was a teacher that did it and my friends told me that she did, and I asked the teacher why, and she said she liked the drawings and would give me B towards my grade for the sketchbook, that was funny times, the older I get the more my drawings suck (well I just have to get better at it now type of thing) thanks on the comment, but I need to post more drawings and paintings and I will soon

09 September 2005
Talking

therookie,

You're welcome. ROFL, that is the longest sentence I have read in a while! It's quite interesting that people, including a teacher?!! have been stealing your stuff for a while...it's an odd compliment, but definitely a compliment of your drawing abilities! Look forward to seeing your stuff soon...no rush...when you can.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Alright

Here are gustures of ppople I drew while waiting for my next class. I had to rush them bcause the students were traveling fast. Most of these were like 10 sec. gesture with a ballpoint pen and printer paper. I drew these on monday.

The saga continues..........

09 September 2005
Talking

pushav,

Wow, some of these are really great...like the female nude in the upper right of your second page, and the figure in the lower left of your first page. Have you seen by any chance Sheff's drawings in the Life Drawing thread? You should check them out, they're toward the end of the thread. Great stuff, you would like it a lot ~ and he's quite willing to provide feedback if you ask him.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Lol she was not surposed to be nude she was moving to fast down the hallway for me to finish her. She turned the corner on me. I think that she had on a casual blouse,some capri, and waering sandals.

09 September 2005
I was practicing the turpeniod tutorial once more. It is some what hard. I mmay have to change my stategy on it.

09 September 2005
You should post this on Sheff's tutorial thread to get some feedback.

~Rk

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
I wish that this meathod would work on some other paper other than tracing paper thick or thin.

Time to experiment more.

09 September 2005
I grabbed a sheet of bristol paper to see what it feels like to draw on it once more. I have not used it in like 2 years. I forgot how good pencils show up on it.

A few tests.

Remixed... Lol

The saga continues......

Thread Closed share thread