The Mixtape: The Anatomy Art of Pusha V

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Cool The Mixtape: The Anatomy Art of Pusha V

Hello and welcome to another episode of The Mixtape presented by Pusha V and unofficially sponored by the world famous Rebecca Kimmel!

Alright Rebecca suggested that I make an anatomy thread for my art. So bear with me people as your eyes gaze upon my ugly works of art.

Rules: Destroy and crit my stuff. I need it badly. If you want me to paint a picture of you post your picture and I may will paint you if I am not busy on something else.

The Goal: To make me better at this stuff.

Here we go.

Time to make a new photobucket account for this. And make another painting.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Last edited by pushav : 09 September 2005 at 03:13 AM.

09 September 2005
Talking

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

I'm thrilled to see you took me up on my offer and created your own work thread here. Beware, I now know where to find you to kick your butt into gear.

I'd really like to see you continue to develop this painting, as I really think you have a nice sense of color, in the pastel range especially, and darn it if I don't just want to see you finish something.

But, I also think it would be a great exercise for you to do a master copy like I talked about earlier ~ in fact, I'll even give you a choice of paintings to copy ~ aren't I nice?

1. Gustave Caillebotte's 'The Floor Scrapers'

2. Degas' 'The Bath'

3. Another Degas Bath Picture Who Knows the Title?

4. Caillebotte's Nature morte aux fruits (My favorite and pick ~ though it's not anatomy, it will certainly help you to paint generally)

Maybe make a choice by tomorrow, then start?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
I forgot that I had this laying around on my hard drive.Lol. I never posted it.

Now time to find references.

Last edited by pushav : 09 September 2005 at 03:30 AM.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

I'm thrilled to see you took me up on my offer and created your own work thread here. Beware, I now know where to find you to kick your butt into gear.

Oh noooooooo it is a trap! I knew it!

09 September 2005
Talking

pushav,

Erm...why did you never post this? It's a good start ~ and shows a really nice painterly approach. I really think you should start with this impressionistic block approach. You don't have to render just because you are using a paint package ~ there's no style limit, really.

I suggest going after one of these figurative OFDW paintings with a really loose, gestural painterly approach ~ and simultaneously tackling one of the Master Paintings linked above. Work on both pieces back and forth ~ you will learn from both experiences. I also recommend copying #4, the fruit piece ~ it isn't anatomy, but in a way, that's good, because it will just get you comfortable with moving paint around.

Whaddya say?

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Rebecca-I dunno why I never posted it. I may have been playing Socom2 during that time or typing on of my billions of papers due for class. I forgot.
Sorry.

*Walks up to the council.... I choose the bath!*

*The crowd Cheers!*

Yeah I am more familliar with the bath. I think the picture is in my design book. (I should have sold it back to the bookstore at the end of that semester. 70 bucks for nothing lol.)

Does it have to be exact exact. I am bad at that stuff. I tend to be more of a stylized artist.

Last edited by pushav : 09 September 2005 at 03:42 AM.

09 September 2005
Talking

pushav,

You have chosen...wisely.

Nope, it need not be exact. I think the purpose should be to push paint around, get comfortable creating form through value, and also working on edge variation and control. I think the colors in 'The Bath' picture are perfectly suited to your taste, and so it should be fun for you to do...the nice thing about the impressionistic style is that they weren't after precision, either ~ it's what made their work so beautiful.

Commencement date...tomorrow?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Lol Pusha V never sleeps.

Here is what I have so far......

I blocked and smoothed out the colors.

I plan on pushing it more in painter.

09 September 2005
Talking

pushav,

Damn, that was fast. Nice start there! You do have a really good sense of blocking in form thru color ~ perhaps this is your calling?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: pushav,

Damn, that was fast. Nice start there! You do have a really good sense of blocking in form thru color ~ perhaps this is your calling?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

It is just a matter of eyeballing the color. and don't care about how it looks in the begining. Smoothing will help take care of missing values. The part I stuggle on is refining a painting. I suck at that. Maybe I should use the pencil tool to help me do that.

09 September 2005
Talking

Hmm, I think whatever works...like you say, don't worry about getting this perfect ~ just work with it to the best of your ability, and add gradually to the painting, as you are comfortable. Do things as you really see them ~ don't force yourself into a particular perspective.

I think the key is to think of this as an analysis of a painting ~ break it down according to rules that make sense to you. Save states frequently, so that you can always go back to something you liked previously and such. I like the current state frankly ~ keep that as a copy, and keep going. Let me know if you need help.

EDIT: Also, have you ever done an erase out drawing? Traditionally? By that, I mean where you take a charcoal stick, sand it into powder, and cover a large canson sheet of drawing paper with the dust, rubbing it in with a chamois and a paper towel. Then, using a white rubber eraser, cut to a sharp point with an exacto knife, and using it to pick out the lights, after first establishing a light drawing with charcoal pencil. It is a great technique for a beginning painter. It's very much like the technique Sheff demonstrated, except using dry media. This really helps to see darks and lights, the key to understanding what a painting is all about.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 04:47 AM.

09 September 2005
I have heard of erasing out figures before. I don't really like doing that because my figures turn out to being dull and flat. For some reason traditionally I work from light to dark.
I finished another one amd I will post it soon along with the next part of the bath image.

09 September 2005
Here are 2 more I made.

09 September 2005
pusha V, it's seems you may of missed my post on you apple, there's some links on there that would help a hundred, (by the way it's me spanz remember...treasure island mod sheets !!) anyway good to see you here at cg, man the paintings are coming along very nice, it's not the brush control, but try the brush sizes "hint" to receive HI FI detail, there's two ways you can go, and right now it looks like john singer sargent (very good artist indeed) but he is some help sites:

www.goodbrush.com
www.pinoart.com
there are more and he is the one site I offered last time http://www.oil-painting-techniques....lor-theory.html good luck and you're beating me pretty bad on the dope production work keep it up, I'm still doing animation "hint" and illustration work and 3d work as well

09 September 2005
and as i look thru you got the light thing down using color, it's just about pitching with color and creating forms, I have some stuff but can't post them yet because there leading to other projects, and the moment someone see's them, it will spark too many ideas, so I have to create work just for forums alone, so it becomes a little bit harder, I'll post some of it soon and we'll see where it goes and what direction, but try the brushes (sizing) and over lapping it you look at pino's stuff, the edge's are created with smaller brushes, there's another technique but I swore code of honor that I wouldn't tell, I just hope you see it like i did, keep up the good work and I'll but looking for more pieces from you, plus you're the only person I've seen use quote's from 50 cent !! lol !!

Thread Closed share thread