Character: Master Chief Model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #1
Character: Master Chief Model

Hello all

I started working on the actual high res version of Master Chief a while ago and recently decided that it would be fun to try and bring it down to a reasonable triangle count for future games. I used the high res model for a normal map. I still have some touch ups here and there, but for the most part its done. I would appreciate crits to try and make this the best it can possibly be. After I'm done with this I am going to create a low poly environment to show off the model.

Here's what I have so far :

I also created a small animation showing more detail - Small Animation (6 MB)

Ill be back with more updates on the environment.

edit - I modeled the the chief after the action figure and not the ingame model of halo 2

Last edited by DougG : 09 September 2005 at 09:27 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #2
seems ok,the mesh seems to have some polywaste, and i frankly wouldnt tell it has normal maps man, it doesnt show so, it seems only to have diffuse for a normal, cause it isnt a diffuse for regular models that only use diffuse, i would recomend or rendering more shots with proper lightning OR fix the normal map

i hope i didnt bring you down, i just want to see this kewl

Old 09 September 2005   #3
thanks for the quick response

while in some area's i agree there is a whole lot of optimizing that needs to be done, but the normal map on there makes a night and day difference. It just might not be showing up because of the lighting or the fact that its only a static image/static lighting.

Here's a quick pic of the model showing off the normal map

Last edited by DougG : 09 September 2005 at 09:57 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #4
ahh now we can see the normal map

Old 09 September 2005   #5
unfortunately the dark green kind of oversaturates what detail the normal map is providing. From the avi you posted I can see it... barely... but in those still shots the same effect or very near that could be achieved in texture. Nice handycam work, btw it helps with the realism

Old 09 September 2005   #6
Nice job. Something that seems out of place is the bulky area on his back. It seems like it is sticking up too high on your model, which is making his chest look funny. Could just be me though.

Old 09 September 2005   #7
so I take it this is what he'll look like in Halo 3?

Old 09 September 2005   #8
He looks more realistic, than the normal halo fighters in Halo, not as shiny, he looks more like has been in a war.

Old 09 September 2005   #9
Yeah the polies can be optimized here and there.
I'm also not sure about the texture, it looks very monotome. Break it up with some metal patches or something, maybe some deep scratches etc.
The model itself looks good though!

Old 09 September 2005   #10
Thanks guys for the comments. Ill be back later with more updates. But yea I'm definitly trying to make him look more realistic. Like he has been through a lot of battles

Old 09 September 2005   #11
Thumbs up

yeah some deep scrathes, and some wear and tear where the armour rubs against itself, like along protruding edges. Are you using a spec map, if not youi need one, if you are make better use of it. shiney metal scratches, shineir paint(to show off normals a bit better, but your right to stay away from originals, "showroom car look"), then dull dirty(oil, burns and mud) bits for contrast.

Old 09 September 2005   #12
Looks very nice, but you'll have to work on the helmet, it looks very strange from what I can see... I quickly fixed you up a MC helmet of my own, might help you somewhat =)

If you want a 3ds, just PM me =)

Old 09 September 2005   #13
That looks a little like bungies Master Chief mesh

http://www.bungie.net/SlideShow.asp...enders&Slide=18

Did you rip it from the game?

If not real nice work....

I'm actually modeling it from the halo 2 action figure, not the ingame model.

Old 09 September 2005   #14
Not bad! The green is way too dark and saturated to look realistic or pleasant, and your low poly mesh has some major weak points so far - a lot of fans, a lot of unnecessary thin triangles. Great detail on the normal map, however, and I agree, the proportions are pretty cool, and a little heavier; he looks more realistic. Keep at it!

Old 09 September 2005   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo|{eR
That looks a little like bungies Master Chief mesh

http://www.bungie.net/SlideShow.asp...enders&Slide=18

Did you rip it from the game?

If not real nice work....

I'm actually modeling it from the halo 2 action figure, not the ingame model.

Hehe, very nice, though. I didn't rip it, I hate that kind of thing... It's not really noticable here, but it's just the front side of the helmet I modeled. There are some slight errors here and there, but please bear with me =)

Thread Closed share thread