Everything (well, almost) about unReal ToonTracer 2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by KillMe: does toon tracer respect fog? lightwave edges dont and it annoys me if toon tracer does you've sold me on it and will abandon lw edges

Not quite sure what you mean: do you mean will TT render the lines over the fog or will the lines fade into the fog?
Never thought about it before, but theoretically, I would believe that the lines would render over the image since TT is a pixel filter. (unlike LW Edges)
Hope that helps you.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I wonder about this. When I get a chance, I'll test this issue out myself.

Last edited by ArtisticVisions : 10 October 2005 at 06:24 PM.

10 October 2005
yup thats what i ment and not the answer i was hoping for =/

10 October 2005
It would seem that unReal's creator has come across the LW 8.5 conflicts as well, because he has now released a new version of the unReal Xtreme 2 beta: this update now fixes all the issues that CelPainter was having with LW 8.5 (praise God! ). So be sure to head to D-Creation's download page and get the new version.

Also, for those of you wondering about the PDF version of my guide... well, here's the deal:
I only have access to InDesign at my college on a Mac, I was going back and forth from my PC at home to the Mac at college (which in itself can be a little pain in the butt). However, I went to work on it the other day and some damn student erased the whole project from my system. (not just the ToonTracer project, but a lot of my other files as well )
Because of this and the fact I don't want people waiting any longer for a downloadable version of the guide, I'll be compiling a series of html pages which will form the guide (along with a few tutorials thrown in) and save it in a zip file for download.
Expect it available by Sunday at the latest.

10 October 2005
Cool

Thanks so much for all your help on this!

Here's a free PDF writer program you can use on your home PC:
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

It works with any program that has a print option. BTW I've been copying your posts and sticking them into a PDF using this little program... Mark

10 October 2005
Thank you soooo much man! This has helped me loads. I'd have been proverbially buggered were it not for you...

Will be watching for anything else you have to say on the subject.

- Michael

10 October 2005
Jason,

I installed the latest Test 6, but all the title bars still show Test 5 version. Is this something the programer forgot to update or did I install it wrong?

Thanks again for all your help...Mark

10 October 2005
Originally Posted by goodrichm: I installed the latest Test 6, but all the title bars still show Test 5 version. Is this something the programer forgot to update or did I install it wrong?

Sounds like it didn't install right: the title bars of the new beta should read test6, not test5.
Try removing unReal from the LW Plugin list and reinstalling the test6 version.

10 October 2005
EDIT 3/20-06: The downloadable version of the guide is currently offline - I'm currently working on intergrating the guide into my website under for my "Tutorials" page, as well as making an actual PDF version of the guide.

Last edited by ArtisticVisions : 03 March 2006 at 08:16 PM.

10 October 2005
thank you very much dude!

how bout one for the inner workings of celshader?

10 October 2005
Jason,

Thank you so much for the tutorial! Now only if I could produce great looking art like you too!

As you suggested, I reinstalled Test 6 and the title bar shows the proper version. I suspect that I got the two files mixed up when I installed it the first time. It was late and I was blurry-eyed.

Thanks again for everyhting...Mark

11 November 2005
Just letting people know that I've slightly updated the downloadable TT guide - mostly it was just some text formatting issues and 1 new bug/issue, but the "Getting Started" page of the guide now includes images of the process (how I missed that when I first put it up, I don't know )
Thanks for all the support in this project.

goodrichm: You flatter me, sir.

11 November 2005
Smile

I've updated the definitions of the "Ray Trace Transparency" and "Ray Trace Reflection" settings under the RenderEdit window. Basically, these settings affect whether or not the lines of TT will render through transparent objects (like if a character is behind a glass window) and on reflective objects (like a mirror).

The TT guide has been updated to include this new documentation and also has visual examples of when the setting is turned on and off (the zip file is now 710KB).

11 November 2005
The documentation is just outstanding, nice job. I'm sure to give it a whirl and see what I can come up with.

"I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it."

11 November 2005
Wow, great thread. I stumbled upon it trying to figure out some issues I'm having.

Somehow Unreal EdgeTracer crashes so much on me that it's vitualy unusable. It seems to depend on the scene, with some scenes it crashes Lightwave the first time I open the EdgeTracer panel, but with other scenes "only" after 2 or 3 times. Also when making a change in EdgeTracer and hitting F9 makes Layout crash more then 9 our of 10 times.

I downloaded version 2 test 6 and I tried it on 2 different systems with LW 8.5 and 8.3. Both give me the same problem.

Has anyone experienced this also and more importantly, does anyone have a solution ?

Thanks

www.toonafish.nl
Buy stock objects

11 November 2005
Originally Posted by toonafish: Somehow Unreal EdgeTracer crashes so much on me that it's vitualy unusable. It seems to depend on the scene, with some scenes it crashes Lightwave the first time I open the EdgeTracer panel, but with other scenes "only" after 2 or 3 times. Also when making a change in EdgeTracer and hitting F9 makes Layout crash more then 9 our of 10 times.

I downloaded version 2 test 6 and I tried it on 2 different systems with LW 8.5 and 8.3. Both give me the same problem.

Most crashes that occur with the current versions of ToonTracer 2 are usually caused by two issues:

1. You're trying to use the new antialiasing features of TT version 2 without adding the new TTBooster pixel filter.

2. You have Visual Editor enabled - keep it disabled. As of the current betas, Visual Editor is buggy and will crash Lightwave 9 out of 10 times.

Last edited by ArtisticVisions : 11 November 2005 at 03:16 AM.

Thread Closed share thread