ZB Displacement Exporter

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #1
ZB Displacement Exporter

Has anyone played with the new ZB Displacement Exporter yet? Just looking to see if there are any settings that work better with C4D then then the presets they have. I just downloaded it and have not had a chance to play with it.

I'm working with C4D 9.5.

Old 09 September 2005   #2
Originally Posted by dfaris: Has anyone played with the new ZB Displacement Exporter yet?

Would you please explain what that is, where to find it?

Old 09 September 2005   #3
Originally Posted by Ernest Burden: Would you please explain what that is, where to find it?

it is an extention to zbrush that allows for much more control over the displacement export - it is only pc at the moment and the mac version is said to be released in the next few days.

go to zbrush central main forum to see the thread about it.

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/forumdisplay.php?f=1

dann
-

Old 09 September 2005   #4
Originally Posted by Ernest Burden: Would you please explain what that is, where to find it?

Here you go.
http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=029084

Old 09 September 2005   #5
Thanks, 'd's, I haven't been reading the Zbrush forum lately.

Not that this helps any for the original issue of the thread.

Old 09 September 2005   #6
waiting for the Mac version.

But this brings up an interesting topic. I have been playing quite a bit with obj.s and displacement maps exported from Zbrush to C4d, and it works well with spd, but I don't wanna subdivide a mesh more than 4 or 5 times doing that. So I'm wondering, if I go into greater detail with a mesh in Zbrush, could I then export another disp. map from a higher subdivision level and put it in the bump channel?
Would normal maps be the way to go for this sort of thing?

Old 09 September 2005   #7
Originally Posted by tcobb: waiting for the Mac version.

But this brings up an interesting topic. I have been playing quite a bit with obj.s and displacement maps exported from Zbrush to C4d, and it works well with spd, but I don't wanna subdivide a mesh more than 4 or 5 times doing that. So I'm wondering, if I go into greater detail with a mesh in Zbrush, could I then export another disp. map from a higher subdivision level and put it in the bump channel?
Would normal maps be the way to go for this sort of thing?

Yes divide the heck out of your base model in ZB and export a displacement map and use it in the bump channel or the displacement channel. You could try a normal map but it depends on what you are trying to do. Just make sure you save a morph of the base mesh before you divide it and load the morph back in before you make the displacment map.

Old 09 September 2005   #8
You know, I don't get the morph thing. If I'm working on something in zbrush, then go back to a lower level, then save the obj, then the displacement, why would I want that morph?
When I've tried it before, and I go back and switch the morph target, the mesh has been changed so significantly that switching back screws it all up, and it works just fine without it, as far as I can tell.

Old 09 September 2005   #9
Originally Posted by tcobb: You know, I don't get the morph thing. If I'm working on something in zbrush, then go back to a lower level, then save the obj, then the displacement, why would I want that morph?
When I've tried it before, and I go back and switch the morph target, the mesh has been changed so significantly that switching back screws it all up, and it works just fine without it, as far as I can tell.

Thats why you save the morph. Say you have a head you are working on in c4d you get it just the way you want it. Then youi bring it into ZB for some detailing. If you export the head back out of ZB into C4D you will see that lots of things have changed like the nose my be different and the eyes ect ect. If you load your saved morph and then make the displacement map it will be just the way you had your model in C4D. I dont know what you mean by the mesh gets screwed up? If you started the model in ZB then there is no reason why you need the morph. But if you are working on a model you imported to ZB then you would want to keep the model the same I would think.

Old 09 September 2005   #10
yeah, it does make sense if you have a model in C4D that's just the way you want it.
I've just been either starting in zbrush, or exported a very simple model from c4d, so I'm doing a lot of modelling in Zbrush, not just detailing. So when I say the mesh is totally screwed up, I mean that it's been dramatically changed, even at the lowest subdivision level.

Old 09 September 2005   #11
Ah well you dont have to worry about the morph thing then. But some day if somebody sends you a model they want you to detail in ZB you will know what the morph thing is all about.

Old 09 September 2005   #12
do your obj exports and imports with free Riptide plugin, the obj handling is seamless than.

For me, I think the Z-Brush map-c4d team already works flawless and I am not sure what kind of improvement the new Z-Exporter has.
The convert-Disp to Normalmap seems pretty cool, hough--

Olli

Old 09 September 2005   #13
Originally Posted by Olli Wuensch: do your obj exports and imports with free Riptide plugin, the obj handling is seamless than.

For me, I think the Z-Brush map-c4d team already works flawless and I am not sure what kind of improvement the new Z-Exporter has.
The convert-Disp to Normalmap seems pretty cool, hough--

Olli

Yeah I'm just trying to find out what bit depth to use that would work best. Going to do some tests.

Old 10 October 2005   #14
32 bit?

Hi Guys,

I've been doing some tests with the new Zbrush Displacement exporter. I'm running into a problem with 32 bit tiffs, as you can see in the attached picture 16 bit seems to work fine but 32 bit displays what looks like holes here and there. I have Displacement set at 10% and SPD at 2 subdivisions.

I'll probably just use the 16 bit for this one since it seems to display ok, but does anyone have any idea what the problem would be with 32 bit?

thanks,

Gray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32bit.jpg (14.1 KB, 230 views)

Old 10 October 2005   #15
gginther I get the same thing with 32 bit. I dont know why either but the 16 bit works pretty well.

Thread Closed share thread