Character: Pilot, Yoji Shinkawa-style

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #1
Character: Pilot, Yoji Shinkawa-style

Now that I finished my Metal Gear Solid villain dude I'm starting a new character, taking rigging into account moreso than last time, but once again I'm modeling as I go along. I also attached some of the reference images I'm using.

Everything is very wip at this point concept-wise, but the character itself is a futuristic pilot (even if chances are that in the future aircrafts will be pilotless, maybe these types of aircrafts/vehicles need to be in contact with human brainwaves to function?).

Edit: Yoji Shinkawa is the concept artist of Metal gear, Zone of Enders and the new Godzilla movie.

Latest Update

Last edited by PhilOsirus : 10 October 2005 at 02:42 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #2
Well I noticed you referenced the cyborg ninja and raiden at the same time. Their really different styles though. Raiden is body suited and smooth and slender and elegant and ninja is thick and bulky and rugged. So I'm not sure which way you're going. Clarify?

Old 09 September 2005   #3
Yay another Shinkawa style model !

I really digged your villain, I'm anxious to see some more from you

Are you gonna make him a helmet, as he's a pilot ?

Old 09 September 2005   #4
Neil: You're right, in fact I was modeling the Ninja when I realized I should make something new instead. Basically I'm more going for Dingo's style (Z.O.E. 2). What I have in mind is a thight suit with captors along the spine to read body movements (even if he doesn't actually move, anyway that's technical), think of Matrix and how they plug stuff into their heads except it doesn't go INTO the spine, just the captor. So there will be a lot of bits sticking out along the suit. The upper armor and arms are very wip, remains to be seen what I'll do with that (there has to be a reason for only having an armor covering the top of the body, can't think of any yet).

Blakjak: I'll make an helmet after I finished the head, it will be a separate object, and I'm not sure exactly if it would cover the whole head or just be an addon of some sort.

Thanks for the replies, another update later today as I optimize the body (I had way too many useless tris).

Old 09 September 2005   #5
Update. I'm remaking the arms to keep them more simple, less armored. The reccuring pattern for this character (always an important part of character design IMO) will be the connectors (currently seen on the back but not yet welded to the mesh) and creases such as those found on the shoulders.

Old 09 September 2005   #6
Shinkawa didn't design Dingo, he was only the mechanical designer for ZOE2. Good luck with this one, though!

Old 09 September 2005   #7
are you strip modeling most of the character (i don't see many people using this technique on the arms/shoulder area like you are doing...
very cool design so far, keep us updated!

Old 09 September 2005   #8
teknotek83: Are you certain he didn't design the suit? One thing I noticed about Shinkawa is that he usually has a style that lasts a few months. From MGS2 to ZOE2 very simillar designs appeared in both games, especially the plugs-like bits on Dingo's suit which are also found on Metal Gear Ray. Also, the back of the suits of the ZOE2 characters are simillar to those of the MGS2 Tengu soldiers. Anyway you might be right, it's too bad there isn't much Shinkawa artworks out there other than MGS stuff:/

dpizzle: Actually it's a technique I sometime use and should use more often, sometimes I forget to model this way and start cutting edges here and there and mess up my topology

Another update later today but not much progress has been done since the last update.

Last edited by PhilOsirus : 09 September 2005 at 10:27 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #9
Update: I might normal map this dude later on, but I'm not confident enough in anatomy to model a high res character with great topology and correct anatomy. Bah, I probably won't normal map this character, maybe my third one

Last edited by PhilOsirus : 09 September 2005 at 05:05 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #10
Those plug caps are using up a bunch of polys right now. I think you can give it less edges and less roundness.

Old 09 September 2005   #11
Yeah they are definitly temporary, I should have mentionned that.

Here is an update. Aagain, I might be using a lot of tris, but I'll leave optimization for later anyway.

Old 09 September 2005   #12
Looking good there, Phil. I would work on the "base mesh" before getting into all those armor peices. Knocking out the general proportions and rest posture of the character will really help you get his personallity through, imho.

This is challenging work. Well, for me at least. I'm working on a male base mesh right now and it's kicking my butt.

-pod

Old 09 September 2005   #13
Yeah I just ordered some DVD from Freedom Of Teach cause I was going crazy over modeling an anatomically-correct human. I hope it will arrive soon so I can work on it and then really make a high res version. For now i'm messing around with the suit I guess.

Old 09 September 2005   #14
cool model coming along there keep it up.

the concept on the first image, at the lower left where is that from? link?

thanks

Old 09 September 2005   #15
That concept is from Metal Gear Solid 2. I found it on a site called Naimoka but sadly it is close for now. I don't know when they will reopen, they had a lot of artwork.

Thread Closed share thread