Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-12-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
Shin Tsuki
Frequenter

Brendan Hargiss
San Jose, USA

Character Practice

Hi all. Been a qhile since I posted in this section, but it's time I got some help again. I started this one as a quick study to help with my anatomy. I was only going to work on it for an hour and then call it done, but I started to like it, so I decided to go ahead and finish it. Here's where I am about an hour and a half into it. I'm still working on the underpainting right now.

So lay into it. Go nuts. Really. I can take it.

Last edited by Shin Tsuki : 09-13-2005 at 09:11 AM.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:56 PM   #2
Pylon
Just Trying to Keep Up

Ryan Nagle
Dumbledores Man
the Zosseous
Eugene, USA

Well, I'd say it's all pretty interesting except for the face.

Also, the face doesn't fit the style of the drawing, or the personality I'd expect fromt he clothes.

r.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
Shin Tsuki
Frequenter

Brendan Hargiss
San Jose, USA

Ah, yeah, well i hadn't really gotten to the face yet with the first post, but i've done a little work on it since then, so tell me what you think about it now. And out of curiosity, what sort of personality do you see in the face? It might give me a bit more direction. I'm not too good with faces. Anyway here's the update. I resized the character's left arm a bit and filled out the bicep a little too. I also moved his right arm up level with the groundand fiddled with the tricep. I've got some more work to do, mostly in the face and on the right hand I think. Other than that I'm thinking he's ready for color, but if there's any thing else you can see wrong with the anatomy or structure let me know.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
teal-k
Frequenter
portfolio
giuseppe g.
fantasy book illustrator
United States

Send a message via MSN to teal-k
nice job
his left arm <our right> and shoulder look weird
maybe its the shoulder it seems too streched

Old 09-13-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Sketcher
Veteran

portfolio
Andy L
Caricature Artist
Cupertino, United States

Cool left shoulder

yes i think his left shoulder (like ur left shoulder) is a little too long. it gives the appearance that he has a really huge back and side muscles which makes it a little strange with his more toned muscle build up. thats all i have to say really, the character looks pretty cool.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
Shin Tsuki
Frequenter

Brendan Hargiss
San Jose, USA

Well if you both think so, then i guess it's a problem. Actually, I was sort of looking at it, but couldn't tell if it was wrong or not, so thanks for letting me know. I'll tweak that up pretty quick. And thanks, both of you for the encouragement.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
Shin Tsuki
Frequenter

Brendan Hargiss
San Jose, USA

I was pretty sure i'd get some color onto this guy tonight, but then I saw some more stuff that i wanted to adress first. I fixed the anatomy in his right arm and moved in his left shoulder, like you guys suggested-Much better now, thanks. I also did some work on the pants, hair and face.

Let me know what's working and what needs fixing or changing. Thanks all.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #8
teal-k
Frequenter
portfolio
giuseppe g.
fantasy book illustrator
United States

way much better ,still the biceps on the right arm <his left> muscle look too flat and too straight look at this maybe it can help

http://www.vicksburg.com/~lahatte/me/elbow/arminfo.jpg

Old 09-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #9
budji
Frequenter

portfolio
Joćo Monteiro
Lisbon, Portugal

Send a message via MSN to budji
nice character, it reminds me jean claude van damme.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:00 PM   #10
Shin Tsuki
Frequenter

Brendan Hargiss
San Jose, USA

Teal-k>>Thanks for the help so far. I didn't think the bicep would have much contour to it as stretched out as it is, but on that anatomy page you sent me, the arms are close to the same angle, and they still have a bit of a bulge in them, so guess I'll try some more tweaking. Should be an easy fix.

budji>>Yeah, i can see it now that you point it out. Maximum Van Damage!

Thanks guys!

Old 09-15-2005, 12:28 AM   #11
PTimm
TamTam

portfolio
PTimm Andy Timm
Concept Artist
Hi-Rez Studios
Alpharetta, USA

Thanks for the crits, but your still better at color than I am. As far as this pic goes, its comin along nicley. Although, somethin is just bothering me about 'his' left arm. the deltoid and bicept shape really looks like a rectangle, you may wanna dip the bicept in more as it goes towards the arm pit...and yeah it does remind me of jean claude van dam haha!

oh yeah, workin on those other pieces along with the reaper is a nightmare!

Old 09-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #12
Shin Tsuki
Frequenter

Brendan Hargiss
San Jose, USA

It's been a few days since i've worked much on this guy, but i'm back into it now. Since the last post, I've moved in his shoulder a little bit more, cleaned up his feet, and started to lay in some color (finally). I thought he'd look better if i switched from the dark pants to white ones instead, but I'm thinking of doing another version of this guy with white skin and dark, possibly, maroon pants. I think either way, I want to give him at least one prominent tatoo, and maybe some form of jewelry. Probably just an armband an a necklace, but I really haven't thought too much about it. So what do you think about this version? And are there any ideas for what color I should make the little leather armor thing around his waste? I'm not too sure about that yet.

Old 09-17-2005, 04:46 PM   #13
teal-k
Frequenter
portfolio
giuseppe g.
fantasy book illustrator
United States

Nice ! the shoulder look ok to me now, what's with the red color? i'm guessing your going to blend it with the skin color right? also i think he looks better with dark pants , it gives him a more evil or mean look

keep working on it

Old 09-23-2005, 03:58 AM   #14
Shin Tsuki
Frequenter

Brendan Hargiss
San Jose, USA

Hey guess what? I'm still working on this thing. Yeah, slow but steady. I've done more work with the skin and added that cloth bit on his arm. I also did a little more to the pants and added a little color to his socks. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give him a tatoo going up his left arm and coming over his shoulder onto his chest. I'm thinking chinese dragon or lion. And what do you think about making the little skirt thing the same material and color as his pants? I'd probably put a simple design on it and get rid of the metal part.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:14 AM   #15
Morrigana
Veteran

Morrigana
Las Vegas, USA

It took me a while to figure out what was slightly off to me about this piece. It certainly isn't the coloring, which I like, or the cool texture and folds of his pants.

He looks slightly off balance to me. When a person is standing balanced, the hollow of their neck, that spot right where neck and collarbones meet, is above the foot their weight is on (or between them if the weight is evenly balanced). His head and shoulders are just slightly to our right of his feet, and it looks like he's either about to arch over, or just stood up from a bridge position. If his left foot were a little more towards the right of the canvas, I think he would look a little more balanced.

At least, that's what I'm seeing.

Thread Closed share thread