Earthquake - V F/X Challenge - Knut

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2002   #1
Earthquake - V F/X Challenge - Knut

Yep i'm in too. My first contest, this will be exiting. Never done any V F/X before but always wanted to, so this can get hairy. I'm hoping to get the filming done this weekend.

Link to Final

Last edited by Knut : 12 December 2002 at 03:47 PM.

Old 11 November 2002   #2
Awesome! Looking forward to it Knut!

Leo

Old 11 November 2002   #3
Location Scouting

On my way to the bus today i shot some pictures of possible locations close to where i live. I think i'll go for the upper left one or the small alley with the garbage container (Upper right picture). What do you think?

Click on this link to get the bigger picture

Old 11 November 2002   #4
Snow!

Well i've managed to borrow a Canon XL-1 from my office, and today i'm all set for recording. And now it is snowing . I'll have to wait to see if it stops soon, before it gets to dark. Else i'll have to do it tomorrow.

Old 11 November 2002   #5
Storyboard and Location

The Storyboard:

Starting with silence in the first second then to slight rumbling and swaying of signpost, garbage containers etc, and crack opening. Massive and violent movement of earth with houses on. Right side goes up, left side goes down. Garbage containers falls over and the one in the foreground falls in to the crack. As the tremor dies out, the sign falls towards the camera and destroys it. The End.

And here is the location:

(Full frame)

What do you think, is this doable for a first go at VFX's?

Old 11 November 2002   #6
can the sign reach the camera when it falls and destroy it? looks unlikely

3D CG Blog at http://kenimate.blogspot.com/

Old 11 November 2002   #7
funnydoodle, yes i agree with you it looks unlikely. I might have to move it off the wall and closer to the street to work. A solution is to put something else in the scene that can crash on the camera.

Old 11 November 2002   #8
cool

Have the signpost fall over the crack hitting something else on the otherside causing it to fly toward the camera. Just a suggestion!

Nice storyboards!!

Old 11 November 2002   #9
Vfx --> glad you liked the storyboards. Good idea to let the signpost hit something that makes it shoot towards the camera. Or, maybe something in the scene could hit the signpost. I will figure this out when i start to make things happen in the scene.

Old 11 November 2002   #10
Update

Modeled the Grabagecan tonight. Took three images of the real one and loaded front/left images into max as ref, then made it out of polys. The maps are not perfect because i have a lot to learn on how to map objects properly. It's late and i go to bed now.

360 Rotation

Old 11 November 2002   #11
I like also storyboard. It's clear.

Garbage can looks very real to me. I like it (as much as ypu can like garbage can )

Keep goin'

I'm curious how will you deal with house movement

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left"

Space Hulk WIP

Old 11 November 2002   #12
Quote: I'm curious how will you deal with house movement
Me too!

Thanks for commenting the can, the minor imperfections i think will not be seen due to the size it will be shown in the final clip.

Old 11 November 2002   #13
Update

Since i'm a total newbie in the VFX game, i can't be sure that i do thing in the right order, or even do things that are not essential to the result. But i'm learning a lot when doing all this stuff.

I have made more room around the video so it can be shaken around without any black borders. Then i've removed (magically) the signpost and the lamp (maybe i remove some more later) Theese items is going to be on separate planes in the camera matching. Then i can animate them wobbel without any trouble.

Ofcourse this removing are done with cloning (cloning- + healing brush in PS7 = Unbeatable). The extension was done by cloning and using photos i shot on location with a digital camera. As you can see it got a hole on the right side, but if i need that later, i will shot that (snowing very much right now, so i have to wait)

Right now i will star trying to rip the picture apart i 3dsmax5, by matching the video onto geometry. I was trying a bit yesterday and i find that the lens distorts the image quite a bit. So matching was not easy.

Enough talking, have to work.

Old 11 November 2002   #14
I like what I see. Nice to see some surroundings that feel familiar. So strange looking at all these exotic locations.

I presume that you are going to use this as a still plate. And just project the photo onto geometry? Would be fun if you could incorporate some video footage.

I hope the perspective changes of the house according to your storyboard wont break up things so that it will look unrealistic.

Are you going to do some animatic shakes to test things or will you do the final shot at once?

www.mikaelpersson.se

Old 11 November 2002   #15
I think i will do some tests tomorrow..to late now. And i'm a bit worried on how the perspective change will look. Not too fake i hope.

About the image; I am trying to use the video as a projection map, only with the "dead" image as a safe frame to avoid any glitches in the projectionmap when the geometry moves.

If i took a picture of the location today it would be covered in 15 cm of snow. I think some on this board would find that exotic? Anyway, idid not get any further today. Tomorrow will be a day of trial and error.

See you!

share thread