Type chinese word in Illustrator

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #1
Type chinese word in Illustrator

Does anyone try how to type chinese word on illustrator..
I have tried typing in photoshop and paste it into illustrator.. but the word become very blur.

thank you.

Old 09 September 2005   #2
What exactly is the problem ? Illutrator getting into the way with different key combinations ? I've had a very hard time with text in Illustrator too (I have a custom keyboard layout), the best way is by either:
• Typing the text in another text editor and copy/pasting the text in place,
• Using the glyph window and inserting letters one by one—which can be tedious with large texts.

About photoshop bluriness, I totally agree. But text in photoshop is totally awful. The hinting is totally horrible on all modes (thus the blurry text) and is lacking openType.

What I usually do when I need some text in Photoshop is very simple. I create a new document in Illustrator using pixels as a measure, then create the text in it, work the kerning, ligatures and all in Illustrator. I set my text white on black (you probably see where I'm heading). I then take a screenshot (very important not to export using File·Save for web), take the portion I need, convert it into a channel, select it and fill it with color. This way your text is much crisper especially at small sizes.
Sometimes the text may be a bit blurry, I recommend moving it a few subpixels to allow better grid alignment.
You can also use the Gimp since it's hinting engine is (in my opinion) much more precise than Photoshop's one and has better tweaking options. Unfortunately openType supports is not there so it's a big no-no for quality text.

If you have any other question on Illustrator·Photoshop text just ask!

Last edited by Schwinnz : 09 September 2005 at 07:54 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #3
Hello, nice to meet you. You are really very expert in text whow. Actually my question is about having chinese word in Illustrator. We can't type chinese in Illustrator. While in Corel Draw we can type it. So normally what i do is type the chinese word in Corel Draw then save it as Illustrator file. Then when i open up illustrator.. it is a vector graphics,... although it can't be edited anymore... but it is more easier to transform without disturbing the quality of the word.. coz it is a vector. This method i use it almost 2 years ago.. and Now.. i try it again.. i found out that it could not works..so just ask this forum , anyone know any tactics.

Sorry.. if i make you confuse. Coz,.. my explaination is a bit worse.... not so good in English...

Thanks... see ya.

Old 09 September 2005   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread