TUTORIAL - Shading Techniques (Various Media) - by Rebeccak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Arrow TUTORIAL - Shading Techniques (Various Media) - by Rebeccak

Guys,

This thread is dedicated to the study of Shading Techniques in Various Media. Thanks to warpyy for suggesting the idea!

Here is an example of a shading exercise which I was forced to do by my slave~driving high school art teacher (an amazing guy whom I completely credit for any artistic growth I might have had in high school) and which I now pass on to you!

I lightly sketched first with maybe a super sharp 2B pencil the outlines before shading.

Basically, the assignment was simple ~ look about your house / apt, find a small object, and shade it using an Ebony pencil that is kept super sharp with a metal pencil sharpener. The trick is to keep the pencil always sharp ~ so it helps to have several of them sharpened and at the ready ~ and to finely shade on the point in teeny tiny circles with varying degrees of pressure to achieve lighter or darker areas.

Wherever the light hits the strongest (the highlight area) you leave white.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 08:03 PM.

09 September 2005
Arrow Traditional Shading with Ebony Pencil

Umm...forget that I hadn't taken perspective at this point...

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 01:56 AM.

09 September 2005
Arrow Traditional Shading with Cross-Hatching (Pen)

Another way to shade traditionally is to cross~hatch with pen.

These are examples of drawings which I did just as an exercise well after I had graduated from college (these were done about a year ago, I think).

I basically used a Bic Grip Roller fine pen and started hatching away, being careful to follow form and to not create straight lines, if possible. Any pen will work ~ I often use ballpoint pen. I recommend drawing lightly a pencil outline first, then cross~hatching away. I think I just dived into this one, but it's better to start with a sketch.

Cross~hatching is not rocket science ~ you just hatch one way, then hatch another, until you get tired of it ~ then you come back to it the next day, and cross~hatch some more.

This is a copy of one of Rubens' fabulous drawings. I highly recommend doing Master Copies ~ as many as you can.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 07:59 PM.

09 September 2005
Arrow Traditional Shading with Cross-Hatching (Pen)

Here is another example of using cross~hatching technique ~ again, a Master Copy using Bic Pen on Sketchbook paper.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Arrow For More Traditional and Digital Shading Tutorials...

For More Traditional and Digital Shading Tutorials, please see:

REBECCA KIMMEL'S Anatomy Review 003: SHADING TUTORIAL AND HUMAN SKULL EXERCISE

There are numerous tutorials (mostly digital but also traditional) on shading in this thread, some excellent work posted by everyone, and there are links to everything at the beginning of the thread. Definitely check it out!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
awesome work,
i hope its okay to post now
thanks for doing this, i will try to practice some of this now. its already 23:20 so i will probably post my updates in the morning. i hope everyone will benefit from this.

cheers.

EDIT : some questions

looking at the roll of string. which shading did you do first, did you make the background shading first and then add ontop, did you use an eraser (if so which one),
do you sharp your pencils short or long, did you make the edges first and then add the shading.
i am coming from a technical side,i believe that i have to know all the theory before hand and know all the goring little details to actually practice them right.

Last edited by warpyy : 09 September 2005 at 08:43 PM.

09 September 2005
Talking

warpyy,

Thanks! Post away.

Regarding your questions ~

The key to the first exercise is to NOT ERASE. This teaches you to be careful in your work and to pay attention to what you are doing. The most we were allowed to do was to take a kneaded eraser and lightly press the eraser to the page to lift areas which were too dark.

Kneaded eraser:

Also, yes, I started with a light sketch first (done with sharp 2B pencil) ~ you don't want to press too hard, as you will leave an indentation in the paper, which, when shaded over, will remain light, giving you an unwanted outline.

You can sharpen the pencil any way you want so long as it is SHARP all the time. The little gray metal sharpeners are great for this.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
-- The most we were allowed to do was to take a kneaded eraser and lightly press the eraser to the page to lift areas which were too dark.

oddly enough i found this method myself

-- Also, yes, I started with a light sketch first (done with sharp 2B pencil) ~ you don't want to press too hard, as you will leave an indentation in the paper, which, when shaded over, will remain light, giving you an unwanted outline.

only 2B, very very interesting.

-- You can sharpen the pencil any way you want so long as it is SHARP all the time. The little gray metal sharpeners are great for this.

can i use my small green sharpener

some of the strings looks like you took something sharp and cut or used a stencil on it.. its not that right ?

thanks.

09 September 2005
Talking

warppy! *smacks own forehead* ~ you're right about the white lines ~ those were etched with that fabulous tool, the fingernail. Before you shade, you can make anything you wish to keep as thin white lines by scratching into the paper (preferably sketchbook quality paper) with your fingernail. Then, when you shade, the indented white lines will stay white.

Bear in mind, these exercises were done YEARS ago, so thanks to my folks insisting that I clean out my *shrine* at their home *sacred for years, now desecrated!*, I now have tons of my school artwork ~ yay.

Anyhoo, yes, any sharpener should do.

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 09:08 PM.

09 September 2005
woo, thanks rebecca for providing this tut i think your crossline shading is really awesome

09 September 2005
Talking

Lynna,

Thank you! This is a nice compliment, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
sleepy sleepy nice trick with the fingernail

EDIT : question, all the blackest of the black muscle curves are how did you add the black color to them, was it using the cross hatch, was it by just painting over without any pattern,
was it folloing the curves and just adding ink parallel to the curves ?

Last edited by warpyy : 09 September 2005 at 09:43 PM.

09 September 2005
Talking

warpyy,

The darkest of the darks are achieved by repeated cross~hatching.

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
good morning thread people,

@rebecca - you keep saying Bic Pen what is it ? the thin lines looks like something i can do with my 0.5/0.7 automatic pencil/lead holder. unless its not the proper tool i am going to use that for my next trial.

09 September 2005
Talking

warpyy,

A bic pen looks like this:

But any ballpoint or black pen (with a fine tip) will do. You should use the medium with which you are most comfortable.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread