Spectacular 3D Entry: Johann Rantzau

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #1
Spectacular 3D Entry: Johann Rantzau

Johann Rantzau is entered in the "Spectacular Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Final Image

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273568

Old 09 September 2005   #2
Introduction

Hi guys! Im glad im actually able to enter this challenge, because i just had a major computer crash including a virus, internet failure and a little loss of data..... :( but now my computer seems to be working properly again and im able to participate in this challenge....

My idea is an army breaking through barricades. all set in the 18th - 19th century. (btw, does it have to be set in modern times??) with a lot of smoke and screaming , dying soldiers in the background. a very desperate scene, but breaking through that barricade is their only hope!!
im not quite sure about the background story of the people. they have to oppressed or something of course

Last edited by Zongo : 09 September 2005 at 12:04 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #3
good luck Zongo with your idea

Old 09 September 2005   #4
Concept Sketch: Breakthrough

Opposition isn`t added yet for better overview.

Old 09 September 2005   #5
Im thinking of adding a horse jumping the barricade. i know, VERY difficult, but hey, VEEERY cool!!

Old 09 September 2005   #6
mh, i just realised that this scene wouldn`t be very spectacular at all for the viewer . so i will HAVE to add the horse breaking the barricade in a spectacular way. it might break the wood and open the way for the following soldiers, taking the defenses by surprise.....

i think i`m gonna add some drummers and pipers or trumpeters, too, for more detail.

or something like that....

i dont know... damn it, this is getting far too big

Old 09 September 2005   #7
Good luck with your idea. War always offers different specular views, so youre on the right way to get one it.

Grin3d

"When there's no more room in HELL the dead will walk the EARTH" [Dawn of the Dead]

Old 09 September 2005   #8
yes, i hope so. but i think it still doesnt have the final something that makes it REALLY spectacular. i`ll probably really have to go for the horse somehow...

Old 09 September 2005   #9
I'm gonna have to warn you that although that sketch is cool, I'm not sure it is portraying something "spectacular" seeing as we have all seen scenes like this in war movies. It seems that you already realize this. The horse thing could save this idea though... Or maybe you may need to consider some other directions. Like maybe some army guy in such rage that he lifts an opponent from his feet, high off the ground with an upward thrust of his gun (the kind of gun with the knife thingy on the end) while yelling at the top of his lungs with rage. THAT would be tight. And don't think using this idea is stealing my idea... for it was your sketch and thinking in terms of the emotion you have already created that led me to this idea. So you are welcome to use it if it tickles your fancy I must admit that my mom helped me to develop my idea. Sometimes another's viewpoint can be really helpful... Good luck man!

Old 09 September 2005   #10
hey, thanks gardogg,
i was thinking the exact same thing!!
but as you said, i`ve alrady decided to add one or two horses crashing through the wooden barricades, maybe some infantry doing stuff you suggested. they all break through with sheer rage and (not too much of course ) brutality
(oh my god, that sounds as if im totally obsessed with this war stuff )

and the longer i think about it, the more i like your idea.... thanks for the hint, gardogg!!

Old 09 September 2005   #11
Modeling: Soldier

This is one of the soldiers, still in an early stage, but i wanted to upload it anyway. just to hear some crits or comments....

Old 09 September 2005   #12
looking good

the hips need some work like more definition and folds and stuff. but as you said it's early stages and you probably had that covered already

keep it up

Old 09 September 2005   #13
i know what you mean, but apparently those uniforms really looked that "boring" at the hips. but youre right, folds are still missing. i hope i will be able to use some displacement...

Old 09 September 2005   #14
Sweet start man! Keep it up. You're going FAST! I wish I didn't have homework and could get busy with mine... but I'll get there. Happy modeling

Old 09 September 2005   #15
Modeling: Soldier Update

A small update for the soldier modell. i added a little detail to the uniform and i think i`ll be able to start unwrapping soon, as a lot of detail will be added by the texturemaps.

Thread Closed share thread