CGTalk > General Techniques > Anatomy and Figurative Art > Tutorials and Workshops
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #1
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Arrow Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 003

NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 003!!!

Welcome to the THIRD thread of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop!!! I am truly excited about this, and am very grateful to good friend and old Art Center chum Hong Ly, with whom I spent many hours in the Open Figure Drawing Workshops from 6:45 - 9:00 pm back in our art school days.

I had the idea for this thread, but was unsure how to procure decent photographs ~ but, having reconnected with Hong in LA during SIGGRAPH after many years, I discovered that he was an accomplished photographer who already had taken model reference photos for use on his website, dedicated to Character Art and Design, at which Hong is an accomplished professional. It is lucky for us here at CGTalk that Hong has agreed to be a part of this community and to allow us to use his photographs as model reference. Thank you very much, Hong!

>>RULES FOR THE THREADS<<

1. Photographs are the property of Hong Ly and are copyrighted as such.

2. Photographs are NOT to be used for ANY other purpose apart from Figurative Drawing Reference for this thread on CGTalk.

3. The drawings created from the photo reference provided here MUST be TASTEFUL, SINCERE, RESPECTFUL, and for the purpose of serious study of the human figure. Those who post silly, disrespectful, or tasteless work will have their posts deleted immediately
and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Hong Ly, Rebecca Kimmel, and Roberto Ortiz reserve the right to determine which drawings are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful to the model/s, who have generously agreed to allow their images to be used on the condition that they be used for the tasteful and serious study of Figurative Art only.

4. There is NO TIME LIMIT for posting on this thread.

5. New threads containing new photographs will be posted on a bi-weekly basis, depending on the number of photographs available.

6. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK, even if it is considered unfinished.

7. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

8. Hong Ly has generously offered his time to critique work on occasion; however, with a full-time job and a demanding schedule, he will not be able to answer everyone's requests for assistance. He has agreed, however, to stop by the threads when he has time to offer comments and critique. Hong is a great guy and incredibly generous ~ however, please respect his time. I will also be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction.

9. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Gestural, Sketch, Finished Render, etc.

EDIT: 3D Artists who wish to use the reference for 3D models are free to do so. I just ask that you post your work here as well as in any 3D forum in which you post your work.

11. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 600 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

12. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art!

~Rebeccak and Hong Ly

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09-20-2005 at 09:06 PM.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #2
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Arrow

Guys/Gals,

Remember that all Open Figure Drawing Workshops (OFDWs) remain OPEN on a continuous basis. However, my primary critiquing will be focused on the current and most recent OFDWs (so now OFDW 003 and 002 will receive most of my attention, though 001 remains open for posting indefinitely). I anticipate that most people will be moving on to the newest OFDW 003. Look forward to seeing your posts!

If you are new to the OFDW series, check out the great work that has been done in the recent past ~ I recommend starting from the end of the thread, as more finished work can be found there.

NOW OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 002

NOW OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 001

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 09-05-2005 at 06:12 AM.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:46 AM   #3
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Arrow

Space Reserved 2

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #4
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

oof, well that just prooved to me how badly i need to be joining in! ah well, more hours are needed in the day. thanks for setting this up!

an hour or so of painter

Old 09-05-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
veljko-lemonade
lemonade3d

portfolio
lemonade3d studio
partner, 3d artist
lemonade3d
Split, Croatia

Send a message via ICQ to veljko-lemonade
here is a drawing made in photoshop with intuos drawing pad- about 30 mins to an hour to complete-
hope you like it!
please, take the time to click on the thumbnail to view the image in full size

oh yes, and if anyone knows how to post an image so that is not a thumbnail i would apritiate if he could pm me or something
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nude_small.jpg (43.1 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by veljko-lemonade : 09-05-2005 at 04:39 PM.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
veljko-lemonade
lemonade3d

portfolio
lemonade3d studio
partner, 3d artist
lemonade3d
Split, Croatia

just a quick comment to mdme_sadie
i find it best to draw rather then paint when i have a short time frame for a figure image- and concentrate on just one part of the figure- like the thorso. This gives you time to explore and understand the subject much better then when painting. Beside this the use of colour allso is a huge task which would call for more hours devoted to the image-
This offcourse is valid only if you are studying the human form- if its an art piece then anything goes!

Old 09-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
warpy
Thirsty for Art

portfolio
Ori Cohen
2D/3D Artist, AI nut
Israel

Send a message via MSN to warpy
warpy's pencil sketch

hey rebecca
started on it, will post here when i finish .. just wanted to say i realy like where this thing is going

i'd like to state i can clearly see all the scale and proportional problems, i want to say before you start pointing all the bad things that this is my first full body sketch, up until now all i did was head profiles, fronts, 3/4 but mostly profiles of my class mates. i have never taken an art class in my life. i started sketching on my own this year after doing 3d models.
i am how ever interested in shading advice, strokes, mass, volume
thanks in advance to rebecca and everyone else who comments on this.

p.s it took about 1 hour (i was watching some tv). its night and i snapshot this picture using my digital cam so thats why it looks so horribly yellow

Last edited by warpyy : 09-05-2005 at 04:41 PM.

Old 09-05-2005, 03:44 PM   #8
zhuzhu
Ladykiller

portfolio
Zhu Haibo
Illustration Lecturer
China Academy of Art Shanghai Insitute of Design Training Center
Shanghai, China

Send a message via MSN to zhuzhu

pencil on sketchbook

find some bugs when i finished this sketch, next one will be better...

Old 09-05-2005, 04:17 PM   #9
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Wow, already some really nice posts!!!

mdme_sadie,

Great to see you here! Thank you for posting!

I like the blocky stroke approach, and the fact that the bkgrd is filled in with a darker tone. I would caution you not too go too light on the figure too soon, as you will run out of a proper range of values. You will be surprised at how dark even light skin can be in midtone and shadow areas ~ to see this, desaturate a copy of the reference photo (Ctrl + Shift + U in Photoshop) and you will see what I mean.

Keep going with this, I look forward to seeing your update!

veljko-lemonade,

Welcome to the Forum as well! Wow, this was done in Photoshop? You have achieved a lovely pencil or pen ~ quality sketch, and I think your style is lovely! Will you be working on the face / arm? I really would love to see where this goes! Please post updates!

warpyy,

Look forward to seeing your work!

zhuzhu,

Great to have you here! I really like the torso and arms, even if they are too skinny / narrow ~ but you really show good use of Opposing Curves here, which is great! Look forward to your update!

~~~

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
warpy
Thirsty for Art

portfolio
Ori Cohen
2D/3D Artist, AI nut
Israel

omg, my work pales in comparison to that beautiful sketch.
maybe i should try to copy it ?

@zhuzhu what kind of pencil are you using and what kind of papers?

Last edited by warpyy : 09-05-2005 at 04:37 PM.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:06 PM   #11
pushav
People's Champ!

portfolio
Verdell Jones
I'm a hustla homie.
USA

wow a 003 workshop plus new cgtalk challenge. I will be busy for a while.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Old 09-05-2005, 05:07 PM   #12
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

warpyy,

This sketch is not bad at all, in fact ~ I think it shows a lot of potential!!! You really have the torso done very nicely, and have definitely exhibited an understanding of Opposing Curves. While the legs are small, the torso is nicely proportioned, and the arms are an easy fix. When I get the chance I will do a drawover for you. Good work so far, and kudos for braving comparison to the zhuzhu ~ he is indeed very talented, but it is always good to have people with experience around to learn from.

One exercise which I always recommend to beginners at figure drawing is to trace the photograph ~ either traditionally or digitally ~ a few times to get the feel of proportions. Once that is done, then do another freehand sketch, and notice if you see a big improvement.

Good work so far, and if you feel like doing another drawing and posting it, please feel free to do so!

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09-05-2005, 05:20 PM   #13
warpy
Thirsty for Art

portfolio
Ori Cohen
2D/3D Artist, AI nut
Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccak

This sketch is not bad at all, in fact ~ I think it shows a lot of potential!!! You really have the torso done very nicely, and have definitely exhibited an understanding of Opposing Curves.

thanks, i cant remember taking notice of opposing curves, it might have been a happy accident. i do remember opposing curves in your first anatomy study. i will try to work on them from now on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccak

One exercise which I always recommend to beginners at figure drawing is to trace the photograph ~ either traditionally or digitally ~ a few times to get the feel of proportions. Once that is done, then do another freehand sketch, and notice if you see a big improvement.

i tried tracing something a while ago. it was my first and last, i dont realy like tracing it feels like cheating. i enjoy so much freehand sketching and i dont feel like tracing. i also remember that the author of "drawing on the right side of your brain" said that tracing is a first stage but afterwards you should stop it and continue.. that is also one of the reason i feel like its going back.

never the less thanks for all the advice, its much appreciated.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #14
veljko-lemonade
lemonade3d

portfolio
lemonade3d studio
partner, 3d artist
lemonade3d
Split, Croatia

here is the update of my work-
i think i will stop here with this one
what do you guys thing?
i started working on the face but somehow it just killed the composition and the image..too many small details in the face that break up the form and this effects the entire image imho
still im opened to suggestions

p.s. thx a bunch rebeccak for explaing how to post the image which is not displayed as a thumbnail!

Last edited by veljko-lemonade : 09-05-2005 at 05:53 PM.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #15
default-rol
Character Modeller

portfolio
Michael
Character Artist
The Character Warehouse
South East London, United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to default-rol Send a message via AIM to default-rol Send a message via MSN to default-rol Send a message via Yahoo to default-rol
Talking

Can you tell I haven't drawn in a week? lol... (- As usual my "roughing out" of the image first, resulted in it spilling over the boundary of the paper... #*%$!!? )

ZhuZhu's work stuns me into silence as usual...

Looking forward to some amazing work from everyone

MIKE

Thread Closed share thread