Myth & Religion: Whats the coolest creature?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #1
Question Myth & Religion: Whats the coolest creature?

This idea for a thread just popped in there, but I thought it might be interesting.

What creatures in myth or religion do you find wacky, cool, unique, interesting etc.

Heres a short list of some unique or cool creatures I can remember:

Norse:
Nidhogg
Jormungand
Sleipnir
Surtr
Fenrir
Garm
Fafnir

partly related:
Grendel

Greek/Roman:
Cerberus
Hydra
Manticore
Gorgons
Titan
Cyclops
Basilisk
Chimera
Centaur
Giant
Harpy
Minotaur
Pegasus
Satyr
Siren/Mermaid
Hecatonchires
Scylla
Charybdis
Geryon
Typhon
Echidna
Talos
Orthos
Naberius

Egyptian/Arabian:
Sphinx
Griffin
Hippogryph
Phoenix
Roc

Other:
Dragon(Names: Terasque, Tiamat, bahamut, Shinryu, Ladon, Zu, Azhi Dakah)
Devil
Angel
Mandrake
Wyvern/Wyrm
Naga
Unicorn
Lamia
Incubus/Succubus
Elementals
Djinn/genie
Lycanthrope/Werewolf
Vampire
Lich
Wight
Lemure
Skeleton/ghost/zombie/ghoul/mummy
Manes
Kraken
Dryad
Golem
Gremlin
Imp
Genji
Homonculi
Leprachaun
Ogre
Pixie/Fairy
Treant

Add to the list or pick a favorite

Old 08 August 2005   #2
Dont know about favs, but I wouldnt want to run into any of these .

And the shapes of the locusts [were] like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads [were] as it were crowns like gold, and their faces [were] as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as [the teeth] of lions. And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings [was] as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle. And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power [was] to hurt men five months.

sounds real nasty.

Old 08 August 2005   #3
does the Beholder from D&D count?

Old 08 August 2005   #4
I have a special place in my heart for Dragons.

Old 08 August 2005   #5
Christianity/ Semi:
Seraphim
Cherubim
Lion of God

Old 08 August 2005   #6

"What are you drawing?"
"A liger."
"What's a liger?"
"It's pretty much my favourite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed. Bred for its skills and magic."
-Napoleon Dynamite

Old 08 August 2005   #7
Originally Posted by ndog:
"What are you drawing?"
"A liger."
"What's a liger?"
"It's pretty much my favourite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed. Bred for its skills and magic."
-Napoleon Dynamite

ROFLMAO I love that film

Old 08 August 2005   #8
"TRON"

He fights for the users.

Seriously, I think Saraswati, the Hindu Goddess of "knowledge, music, and all the creative arts" is pretty cool.

Old 08 August 2005   #9
Man, just reading that list makes me happy. Nothing to add, just reminiscing about D&D, Final Fantasy, and other RPGs.

It's still unknown how I managed to get married.

Old 08 August 2005   #10
Originally Posted by Skirnir: ...

Heres a short list of some unique or cool creatures I can remember:

That's some "short" list. What did you do...read your Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual for old time's sake?

My fave (in the AD&D days) was Loki.

Listen: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Last edited by Signal2Noise : 08 August 2005 at 09:59 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #11
From Filipino folklore, we have:

TIKBALANG
Mythical being with the upper body of a horse and the lower limbs (from the waist down) of a man. They often ambush unwary travelers and attack using their hooves to bludgeon their victims. They were said to emit the nauseating stench of burning hair hence signaling their victims of their impending doom. Illustration by Trent Happel.

MANANANGGAL
Mythical “vampire-like” being, often a woman, with no lower limbs and has bat-like wings. Uses its proboscis-like tongue to suck-out unborn children from their mothers' wombs; Has the ability to transform to various animals in order to avoid capture & lives as a normal human beings during the day; Can only be killed by finding it's lower half (from the waist down) & smearing it with crushed garlic (bawang). Illustration by Jay Javier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tikbalang.jpg (36.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg manananggal.jpg (89.1 KB, 35 views)

Old 08 August 2005   #12
Koschei the Deathless

Koschei cannot die. His soul is hidden separate from his body inside a needle, which is in an egg, which is in a duck, which is in a hare, which is in an iron chest, which is buried under a green oak tree which is on the island of Buyan, in the ocean. As long as his soul is safe, he cannot die. If the chest is dug up and opened, the hare will bolt away. If it is killed, the duck will emerge and try to fly off. Anyone possessing the egg has Koschei in their power. He begins to weaken, becomes sick and immediately loses the use of his magic. If the egg is tossed about, he likewise is flung around against his will. If the needle is broken (in some tales this must be done by specifically breaking it against Koschei's forehead), Koschei will die.

Old 08 August 2005   #13
umh.. succubus pretty much..

Old 08 August 2005   #14
I love mythologies

You forgot the Troll (norse) and the Jotuntroll (norse). The Jotuntroll is often described as a gigant whit nine heads. To kill it, you have to cut off the ugliest head, if I remember correctly.

And what about Medusa?
Shure she was one of the Gorgons, but she was the only one that was mortal.

Edit: ... I can't decide what creature is the coolest tho'

Last edited by LadyMedusa : 08 August 2005 at 09:48 PM. Reason: oh, allmost forgot...

Old 08 August 2005   #15
One of my favorites is the Celtic monster Nuckelavee. It looked like a horse and rider from afar, but up close it was actually one creature. The human portion had a head ten times the size of a normal man's head, with a jutting jaw like a pig's that was enormously wide. Its arms were also abnormally long, with the knuckles nearly dragging to the ground when hanging at its side. The creature had no hair, mainly because it had no skin. It was made of white sinews, and tar-black blood running in yellow veins.

Technically a sea creature, it would come on land to do evil as often as it could. It's breath was poisonous and it was blamed for death of crops, animals, and even epidemics of disease among man. It hated fresh water for some reason and would go nowhere near it, nor was it known to come to land in the rain.

Thread Closed share thread