Spirit World

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #1
Wink Spirit World

I'm working on this for a weekly sketch forum, and I want to win for a change, so I'm posting here, hoping for a little critique to send me in the right direction...

It's still rough (although it will likely stay pretty rough), and I haven't added all the spirit creatures - I'm thinking around 3 more.

Main questions:

1. My monitor is kinda flat, contrast-wise. Is this too contrasty?
2. Is it obvious (enough) that the spirit creatures are being revealed by the lantern?

Old 08 August 2005   #2
cool idea...

Might be a good idea to use the low lighting for you. As in just hinting at hsapes on them because noe it seems like the lighting is off, you could crisp it up and show less. That 'less is more' thingy they always talk about. Just hide a lot and brign out highlights and crisp diffuse more.
modelling practice #1

Old 08 August 2005   #3
Really nice idea

If you are planning to add more creatures it might be a good idea to have them more overlapping the light and dark areas, so there are more bits missing and they are more obviously 'not there' outside the beam of light. Dunno if that made any sense, I can't explain it that well.

Our graduation film

Our website

Old 08 August 2005   #4
Originally Posted by amy_517: Really nice idea

If you are planning to add more creatures it might be a good idea to have them more overlapping the light and dark areas, so there are more bits missing and they are more obviously 'not there' outside the beam of light. Dunno if that made any sense, I can't explain it that well.

That's exactly what I had in mind.

Old 08 August 2005   #5
Here's the next step, still more "spirits" to put in. I've made them a little transparent, and played a bit with the colour ranges.

Old 09 September 2005   #6
Another iteration:

Old 09 September 2005   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread