November 2002 challenge issues resolved in this thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2002   #1
no morph/blend shape ?!?!? sound

what's this rule ?!?!?

I mean it's like asking no model with 5 vertices poly !!!!!!!

OK body animation is what comes first...and it's really important...

but why rejecting a whole important part of animation ?!? no Eyes morphing ?!? no mouth opening ?,!? no special morph squash and stretch ?!?!? huuuuu....no blink ?!?

nb : no sound ?! so why are all the studios recording sound before animation starts ?!?

Old 11 November 2002   #2
Not for the first challenge baby...

...the idea is to focus on the body language...which happens to be one of the MOST important parts of character animation...

Old 11 November 2002   #3
Re: no morph/blend shape ?!?!? sound

Quote: Originally posted by baby
OK body animation is what comes first...and it's really important...

YES, it is.

no Eyes morphing ?!?

PLACE a bone in the eye geometry and scale the bone.

no mouth opening ?,!?

Nowhere in the rules does it say characters are jawless. Use a bone to animate the jaw. Parent the jaw geometry to a bone and rotate the bone.

no special morph squash and stretch ?!?!??

Squash and stretch can be acheived through scaling parts of the skeleton.

huuuuu....no blink ?!?

Again, the absence of eylids is not required. Parent the eyelid geometry to a bone and rotate the bone.

no sound ?! so why are all the studios recording sound before animation starts ?!?

Ever hear of pantomime? How about silent films? Working with sound adds an extra level to the challenge. We may work with sound in the future, but pantomime exercises are a great test for one's animation ability.

All in all i hope I have opened your eyes to the cahllenge and what you can do with the restrictions given and a little bit of thought and common sense. I cannot wait to see some of the entries!

Now quit reading and go start thumbnailing for your aniamtions!

Last edited by bentllama : 11 November 2002 at 01:30 AM.

Old 11 November 2002   #4
so this is not an animation contest

but a "how the hell am I going to do this because I can do that or that or that very easily" contest ?!?

SO I must concentrate on doing a complex character setup instead of focusing on animation...

just kidding

part of my work is basicaly preparing characters for animators, to make their life easier...so they don't have to bother on technical stuff...

Old 11 November 2002   #5
I'm not very wise with all of this. What does "sectional geometry is a must, (this will level the playing field if you choose to use a high or low poly model, and it will also eliminate the need for envelopes)" What does that mean?
Also: "no blendshapes/morph targets/or deformations" Would a bend or melt modifier in max be a deformation? Thanks

-ThetaDot

Old 11 November 2002   #6
could i use pre-existing models for this, like a character that came with max or one i download off the net, as long as i make my own rig?

Old 11 November 2002   #7
The idea is that we don't want people spending unnecessary time modeling complicated geometry to try and make a model look good.. and spend less time animating it.

The whole point, as bentllama put it, is to focus on character animation, not on modeling technique or skinning technique. This "levels the playing field" because someone who can animate a series of boxes so well that you think the thing is crying over the fact that it can't use the restroom.. is going to be much more sucessful than someone who can't really animate, but can model like the dickens.. or someone who spends all their time creating intricate deformers to make the skin appear to move, bulge, etc etc etc, but doesn't actually spend the time animating.

The thing to realize is that having an amazing model, or NOT having an amazing model isn't going to matter. What matters is having an amazing animation.

-jason

oh yeah, as for sectional geometry.. that simply means pieces of geometry which are just parented under the joints. You can use cubes, or cylinders, or interlocking pieces of geo.. but don't worry about skinning or enveloping.

Old 11 November 2002   #8
2d animation

So is there one going on? B/c the 2d animation thread has no messages and it speaks of 3d technology (lights, etc) and directs me here...

So about the 2d if available - Flash animation? That's what I figure... I don't know What else is there for 2d, cut-outs? 3d converted to 2d flash... any integration of 3d models or geometry(house) into Flash?

Old 11 November 2002   #9
Can we just use a default biped skeleton out of Character Studio?

Old 11 November 2002   #10
I wouldn't see why not as you should be focusing on animation....but as you can see in rule number....

"2) you are required to build your own rig, try not to use a rig that's not your own, this is why the challenges will help you in that area."

So I would say no.? Although "try not" is the key word there. so.....????

Last edited by b.Schulz : 11 November 2002 at 05:39 AM.

Old 11 November 2002   #11
ok, for 3d animations, any rules on soft bodies and particles and stuff?

Old 11 November 2002   #12
Quote: Originally posted by DragomanJK
ok, for 3d animations, any rules on soft bodies and particles and stuff?

soft bodies = deformations
rules state "no deformations"

particles...knock yourself out...if you can get them to look OK with a 3pt lighing scheme go ahead...BUT...the focus of this animation is CHARACTER ANIMATION [if you wanna do particles/dynamics perhaps you would be better versed at doing the VFX challenge]

Old 11 November 2002   #13
Quote: Originally posted by road
Can we just use a default biped skeleton out of Character Studio?

A CS biped with a bit of work put into it would be fine for aniamtion purposes...we just do not want to see dozens of characters in clips that look the same...if you are going to use CS, try to have different geometry attached to it...

...in the end, it is all about good character animation !

Old 11 November 2002   #14
Quote: Originally posted by b.Schulz
I wouldn't see why not as you should be focusing on animation....but as you can see in rule number....

"2) you are required to build your own rig, try not to use a rig that's not your own, this is why the challenges will help you in that area."

So I would say no.? Although "try not" is the key word there. so.....????

true the words TRY NOT are in there...but so is the word CHALLENGE...

most character animators should have a basic knowledge of rigging, and as you can see there are many of us here with tips and tricks to make your rigging experience more pleasant...

just remember, in the end it is all about the animation!

Old 11 November 2002   #15
Re: 2d animation

Quote: Originally posted by DragomanJK
So is there one going on? B/c the 2d animation thread has no messages and it speaks of 3d technology (lights, etc) and directs me here...

So about the 2d if available - Flash animation? That's what I figure... I don't know What else is there for 2d, cut-outs? 3d converted to 2d flash... any integration of 3d models or geometry(house) into Flash?

there is a 2d challenge and that challenge would include work animated by hand that is not 3D... flash [no 3d], pencil tests, oil on glass, etc

south park or disney, the style doesnt matter so long as it remains true to 2d animation...

share thread