Inbetweener

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
Inbetweener

Did a lot of sketches this afternoon for a new project but nothing came to me worthing working up for my folio so

I'm not planning to finish this one just a spot of fun 'til my imagination kicks in. 1300 tris. How do you go about building the arms using the method that follows the musclature?

08 August 2005
This is how I usually connect arms to the body. The blue lines are what really matters in my opinion. The bottom of the pecs flow into the shoulders. Look at your own body. Anyways, dont take how I drew it as the RIGHT way to do things. Its just one way.

08 August 2005
you should definetely finish this piece

08 August 2005
aesir - thanks for the sketch it got me off on the right foot

Lots more sketches done today but still nothing I want to build so I'm fiddling with this again tonite. Besides I havent model this method before so its a good exercise. Have had a few nightmares with the rough rig test but it is shaping up.

If anyone can point me in the direction of tutorials for this especially with regards to rigging and animation I would be much obliged.

Gonna throw some polys at this maybe somewhere around 3500/4000

Last edited by Saramago : 08 August 2005 at 07:21 PM.

08 August 2005
Having fun now

Update added at KINGOMONKEY's request

Last edited by Saramago : 08 August 2005 at 08:57 PM.

08 August 2005
Looking really nice dude, espaecially lie the head and neck.

Can we see some wires to see how you tackled tthe shoulder area?

See ya on Thursday

Kingo

08 August 2005
Basic model done - cut in a bit more detail tomorrow nite then I'll have to leave it for a bit as I'm supposed to be finishing my MA next week.

08 August 2005
Wink

Me no game modeler but this really looks great. Very noticable from the stylising, sorta catches your eye.

Textures pleeease?

08 August 2005
Thats looking real nice mate,

But dont forget your presentation!

Really like the shoulders, i always think of that bit as being like a collar or harness that sits over the chest. This probably doesnt make sense. i just winder if it could be modelled from a folded cylinder cap? just an idea.

Like i said, real nice and see you thursday

kingomonkey

08 August 2005
Rather than just thinking about it i thought i would just try. Just thought id share it. I found this process very quick and i leanned a lot just having a go. plus it was a break from my Current (yawn) project. Think of it as therapy

Hope you understand what i meant now

08 August 2005

I'm going to put bats on hold for a bit I think my folio needs some straight forward models. So I am working on 3 soldiers from 3 time periods (this one is a 17th Century Grenadier). I am planning to model 2500 poly and 1000 Poly versions. Is 1000 low enough for a current rts (ie Dawn of War or Rome Total War?) Does this seem like a good exercise?

08 August 2005
hey saramango... that batman is looking nice,
my only crit as of now -
i think that the bat ears should be pushed back more, towards the back of the head and lowered slightly... just my opinion.
i think it would make him look more menacing and dark... like batman should be.

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by Saramago: Is 1000 low enough for a current rts (ie Dawn of War or Rome Total War?) Does this seem like a good exercise?

That is probably about right for the highest LOD for a cutting edge RTS. That model will RARELY actually be used in-game though; expect to see that more in cut-scenes or in-game cinematics, etc. There is no point in displaying a 1000-triangle model that is only about 50 pixels tall, after all I would expect the models that are actually displayed to be more like 250 triangles or so.

08 August 2005
Adam Atomic - Thanks. I'll work on it.

08 August 2005
I like what you have done so far of the new character, but i think your Batman should not be totally forgotten, are you going to make a Two Face just like your Joker.

Thread Closed share thread