freelance work charges.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #1
Talking freelance work charges.

hi i might have the possibility of a bit of freelance modelling (not posing in pants) and i was asked what i would charge. can any one tell me what is good price (uk)

have been thinking about how to go about it,

1recieve model sheet tell company how many hours
2workit out as hourly rate.
3ask for half the money.
4do work
5get over half.

can anyone tell me about their experiences.

ps i dont know them its over internet if that helps.

Old 08 August 2005   #2
if you haven't searched yet, you should search and come back if you still have quesitons cause you'll probally get better info like that. There's a sticky in the general section, that I do believe has some links to the larger discussions about freelance pricing

Game Assets Thread

Personal Site

Old 08 August 2005   #3
I think for games, outsourcing is done almost exclusively to companies, not individuals.

Old 08 August 2005   #4
Originally Posted by Headless: I think for games, outsourcing is done almost exclusively to companies, not individuals.

Outsourcing for games is kindof done for both. I've done some work for a company called Liquid Development, and I believe all the work they get is from video game company's outsourcing, then they do some in-house (i believe) and they outsource to individual contracters as well.

Game Assets Thread

Personal Site

Old 08 August 2005   #5
Talking

yes its through a company. but they are start up with contract and asked me for prices .

thanks for directions

Old 08 August 2005   #6
Unhappy

sorry read "please no salary posts on general disscusion thread"
but need info quick. cant seem to find any good sourese by searching.

Old 08 August 2005   #7
Originally Posted by SHEPEIRO: they are start up with contract and asked me for prices.

The usual outsourcing price of a startup is 0 or as low as they can go, at least in my experence. I would look at head hunter agencies... like ArtSource, etc. I know a couple people contracting for Microsoft. Over all you have to be pretty cheep, pretty specialized, or extremely good.

It always worth giving it a try.

Old 08 August 2005   #8
I am contracting on an individual basis, and am paid per model, depending on the complexity. It is up to me to make sure I get the model done quickly enough for the pay to be good I think the best method is to decide the bare minimum pay that you NEED, figure out how long it takes to work on various things, and then type up a rates sheet. Here are some example things you could price out for your rates sheet:

MODELS
==================
500 triangles
1000 triangles
3000 triangles
5000 triangles
10000+ triangles

TEXTURES
==================
256x256
512x512
1024x1024
2048x2048 (if you are doing next-gen)

If you have a good basic rates table then that should make it easier to negotiate with the studio. The most important thing when you are contracting is to do your work well enough that you don't have to redo it or fix anything after submitting, especially when you are working long distance. That is a pain in the ass for your client, and will save you a lot of trouble too.

Hope this helps!

PS - I haven't seen any hard numbers thrown out here yet, so here goes. For my first contract I only made about $15/hr, but the contracts i am negotiating now are closer to $25/hr. My goal is to eventually be able to charge $35-$40/hr.

EDIT - On rereading my post, its looking kind of confusing. What I mean by say "$15/hr" is that I am able to finish say a $150 model+texture in about 10 hours. This doesn't include federal taxes though. Your goal should be to make it easy for your clients - charging per hour leaves a lot of guesswork in their hands, especially if you are a new or inexperienced contractor. Make it easy on them, and let them know that for X dollars you will complete Y assets.

Last edited by AdamAtomic : 08 August 2005 at 03:51 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #9
Originally Posted by Adam Atomic: I am contracting on an individual basis, and am paid per model, depending on the complexity. It is up to me to make sure I get the model done quickly enough for the pay to be good I think the best method is to decide the bare minimum pay that you NEED, figure out how long it takes to work on various things, and then type up a rates sheet. Here are some example things you could price out for your rates sheet:

MODELS
==================
500 triangles
1000 triangles
3000 triangles
5000 triangles
10000+ triangles

TEXTURES
==================
256x256
512x512
1024x1024
2048x2048 (if you are doing next-gen)

If you have a good basic rates table then that should make it easier to negotiate with the studio. The most important thing when you are contracting is to do your work well enough that you don't have to redo it or fix anything after submitting, especially when you are working long distance. That is a pain in the ass for your client, and will save you a lot of trouble too.

Hope this helps!

PS - I haven't seen any hard numbers thrown out here yet, so here goes. For my first contract I only made about $15/hr, but the contracts i am negotiating now are closer to $25/hr. My goal is to eventually be able to charge $35-$40/hr.

EDIT - On rereading my post, its looking kind of confusing. What I mean by say "$15/hr" is that I am able to finish say a $150 model+texture in about 10 hours. This doesn't include federal taxes though. Your goal should be to make it easy for your clients - charging per hour leaves a lot of guesswork in their hands, especially if you are a new or inexperienced contractor. Make it easy on them, and let them know that for X dollars you will complete Y assets.

This is about right... We have just out sourced some prop work and LOD2's to some places around the globe and it works out to be about 20 per hour. These are however established companies with a good rep and experience. You probably dont want to charge as much as 20 per hour unless you really think your good enough for that. I'd be more inclined to base your prices around the 10-15 mark and get a foot in the door. Anything less then 10 and you might as well go work at Burger King.

K.

Old 08 August 2005   #10
Talking

cheers thank you really needed info.
my plan is to work out how many hours it will take me to make the model and charge around 10-15 pounds per hour.
after this it is my responsibility to get it done in those hours otherwise illl loose money.

is it a good idea to split payments befor and after job completion?

Old 08 August 2005   #11
No .. i'd say it was quite un professional to do that. They are paying you to do a job..if you don't do it you don't get paid. If your gonna get anything up front..get it all.. if you feel they will not pay.

If it's for several models...maybe work out payments per model rather then per project. They pay you everytime you hand over a model and it's signed off.

K.

Old 08 August 2005   #12
Talking

thanks alot for your knowledge on this subject i will follow your advice on this matter.

Old 08 August 2005   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread