Pencil sketches vs. finished work.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #1
Pencil sketches vs. finished work.

Is it just me or do you actually prefer sketches to finished stuff? When I see sketches, they seem so much more vital than fully rendered work. Unless, of course, it's by a fantastic artist.

Old 08 August 2005   #2
I prefer sketches too because I see the pure ideas in them. It always seemed much better to me to see the first sketches, the first ideas and inspirations.

Old 08 August 2005   #3
Talking

I definitely tend to prefer drawings to paintings when they are compared. When I see a painting in a museum or book, I am awed at its power, but then when I see the preparatory drawing, I am just that much more fascinated. The raw energy of a drawing often gets lost in the painting process. It's hard to find good books of artists' drawings, however. Typical big booksellers typically have none. Usually I'll have to frequent smaller, more expensive specialty shops in order to find good books of artists' drawings. A few years ago, I bought a book of Pontormo's drawings. I didn't notice until I got home that the text was in German! Guess I wasn't looking at the text.

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2005   #4
Originally Posted by paperclip: Is it just me or do you actually prefer sketches to finished stuff? When I see sketches, they seem so much more vital than fully rendered work. Unless, of course, it's by a fantastic artist.

That's true, sketches (if well made) have much more life than finished works which are often overdone.

Old 08 August 2005   #5
Yes, I'd rather see a good sketch than a rendered, "finished" image. For me, this carries over into painting, in that I'd rather see a mess of brush strokes than photorealism.

Yet I'm heavily into 3d modeling and animation. It's still possible to be rough with 3d.

Old 08 August 2005   #6
Originally Posted by Lachrymolonaut:
It's still possible to be rough with 3d.

I'd like to see an example of a 'rough sketch' in 3d.

Old 08 August 2005   #7
Only some people can really make a nice 3D image that is free from that sterile 3D look which kills the mood. That's why for example sketch of a naked woman is 100 times more sexy and vital than a 3D rendered one (even if done by a good artist). They say that an artist dips the brush in his soul when painting and I have to say that it sounds like true to me...

Last edited by Dr. Ira Kane : 08 August 2005 at 02:53 AM.

Old 08 August 2005   #8
Edges!

You know, a lot paintings just lose edge quality that most drawings seem to have. It's a fairly simple concept, really, but I find that's a pretty common differentiator between "paintings i like" and "paintings that are blah to me". Some times the brushes just need to be cocked and loaded and leave a few hard lines. Too often painters just blend the energy right out of the piece.

I have to fight the blending instinct all the time. Too often it's a losing battle

Old 08 August 2005   #9
I love drawings - often more than finished paintings, although standing in front of a major painting by a major master is a remarkable, unforgettable and unique experience.

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

Old 08 August 2005   #10
Originally Posted by Gord MacDonald: I love drawings - often more than finished paintings, although standing in front of a major painting by a major master is a remarkable, unforgettable and unique experience.

Gord

Taking one to your home when no one is watching is even more exciting experience Ok that was a joke

Old 08 August 2005   #11
I've always loved looking at pencil sketches or studies rather than finished formal paintings. There is something very energetic about pencils sketches that, as has been said before, contains more of the passion of the artist, when they're not thinking about rendering textures or light accurately. And often a pencil sketch has much more power of suggestion in it, so you see more of what you want to see, rather than what the artist wants to see. I'd be curious to know what non-artistic people would say to this question, whether they prefer paintings or sketches. Whether, because of being artistic, we look for different things in paintings and sketches than non-artistic people do - alot of the reason I love sketches is I think it often reveals more about the artist's thought and work processes, which I constantly relate to my own work. Not to say I don't love looking at finished paintings though, but for a different reason.

Old 08 August 2005   #12
Originally Posted by Dr. Ira Kane: Taking one to your home when no one is watching is even more exciting experience Ok that was a joke

Thank goodness it just a joke, for a minute I thought you were on to me!!!

Gord

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

Old 08 August 2005   #13
this is interesting, kinda touching on my topic thread..."back to the essence of creativity".
this is even true for the old masters. im a hige fan of da vinci, and if you ask my opion, his sketches, and technical drawings are far more interesting, this goes for all the old masters. there is something transparent about their thought process when you look at how they sketch, and what they were trying to achieve.

Old 08 August 2005   #14
I have run into this problem recently with my own work..the more I speedpaint and pencil sketch, the more I hate how lifeless my full paintings are. I'm really trying to figure out a way to keep the energy of sketches into fully rendered works without making things seem unfinished...it is indeed a battle to find that blanacing point between underdeveloped and overrendered. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one frustrated with this.

Old 08 August 2005   #15
Fully shaded and lit well... please!

It's just that much more complicated to achieve the proper rendering... since there are obviously way more things to get right. But I really love the fully rendered ones way more.

Ignorance of the finer points of good shading and so on(don't take it the wrong way, we all have to learn) probably let down a lot of paintings. But I'll have fully rendered ones over any sketch any day. Ofcourse provided it was done with skill and insight.

My personal opinion ofcourse, but I'll defend it fiercely.
modelling practice #1

Thread Closed share thread