Mustang Airplane

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
Mustang Airplane

Here is a new project that i am starting. This is the nose of the plane.

Website

07 July 2005
not much to go on... :P But is this going to be the P-51 Mustang from WWII or some other Mustang air plane that I don't know about? It'd be great to see a highly detail P-51

07 July 2005
here is the body of the plane.

Website

07 July 2005
here is an update. added the wings.

Website

07 July 2005
Brett - nice choice. I'm building one also, in 3ds max. I'm really interested in seeing this thing develop. Are you using any references. That belly scoop is a challenge.

visit www.cxrgraphicsfactory.com

Last edited by Bobbyfonts : 07 July 2005 at 01:35 AM.

07 July 2005
yeah i using some reference images. That awesome that your modelling it too. I wish i knew how to use 3D Max that would be cool. Im using Modo. The belly scoop was kind of hard. I mean im not that experienced in modelling so this is kind of hard in general.haha.

Website

07 July 2005
You guys might want to try here for some reasonable blueprints of the P51B and D Mustangs which are the most well know versions. It will make it easier than working from photos or poor quality line drawings.

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/p51.html
http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/p51-2.html

keep at it designerbrett. I can see a mustang is starting to emerge as you progress.

07 July 2005
thanks for the blueprints, i was using these other ones but they dont have as much detail. So here is an update!! Added the bottom intake thing, and the propellers.

Website

07 July 2005
Man, I could've used those plans awhile ago. I worked from a few photos off the internet. So far so good, Brett. I think you have chosen a project that will help you develop your modeling skills - not too hard but not too easy. I've never heard of Modo. I've worked with Strata 3D in the past but I find 3ds max to be much more user friendly in terms of modeling. Keep up the good work, Brett. I looking forward to seeing your model finished.

visit www.cxrgraphicsfactory.com

07 July 2005
yeah i know what you mean. So here is an update on how i am doing.

Website

07 July 2005
looks pretty good so far. I know it's still in the early phases of development, but the tapering of the fuselage seems to be a bit abrupt to me.

07 July 2005
I recommend you go buy a cheap plastic model of the plane. Holding it in your hands is going to be more helpful than using 3-views and 2d photos.

07 July 2005
Nunyas- i think it was just the angle that looks bad. thanks for the complement.

grzero- i wish i could have a real model to look at, it would be a lot easier.

Alright so here is an update i have the basic model done i just have to do all of the detailing, which wont be fun, haha. I want to render it but i cant because Vue 5 says that it can import it so ill have to see what i can do.

Website

07 July 2005
I'm no one to criticize anyone new to modelling. I'm just learning XSI and it's a steep curve!
So, take this as nothing short of helpful recommendation.

I did this plane model about 3 years ago with lightwave for a flight simulator (the texture was by someone else). It weighs in at just short of 1900 polygons including functioning landing gear, sliding canopy, etc. I had a $5 plastic model on hand and it made a world of difference. Subtle shapes that aren't in line drawings become very apparent, and you can hold the physical model at the same angles your 3D camera shows. Inaccuracies are easy to see this way and you eventually train your eyes to see differently when modelling in 2 dimensions.

If you're going for accuracy your model has a distance to go. On the other hand, if you're just noodling with the tools, great, you're learning. Now, if you're making an artistic statement I'm just a dumb programmer, so who am I to say anything.

08 August 2005
All New Airplane Model

Alright found a airplane model in the toy bin and thought that i would use that instead of pics. So here it is so far.

here is the toy that i am modeling from.

Website

Thread Closed share thread