-BBQ Beast- thesis short. Check it out!!11

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #1
-BBQ Beast- thesis short. Check it out!!11

Hi,

finally our short "BBQ Beast" is done. We created it in about 3 months for our graduation from the German Film School. Most important to us on this project was definetly animation. And although we kinda ran out of time we really tried not to cut back on this part.

We were 4 people working on it:

Jens-Ole Bukowsky
Karsten Mehnert
Goro Fujita
and Stephan Stoelting

Check it out here
|mpeg (30mb)|
|(mirror)|

Let us know what you think about it.

Last edited by stephan.s : 08 August 2005 at 03:07 AM. Reason: one mirror down

Old 08 August 2005   #2
Hi Stephan!

Very cool

Now I know why we've been exchanging emails late at night - you & the other guys have been very (very!) busy!

Congrats to you all - it's a great piece of work... and done in a short time... almost like the nightmare deadline you get in the industry

Look forward to seeing you over here at the studio soon.

Let's watch the cool comments & wait for this to get 5 stars

Tracy T

Old 08 August 2005   #3
Shots more better than movie. Some additional editing need. Cuts are smaller...
May be need more funny details. For example, change a color of eyes from green to red and other.

Old 08 August 2005   #4
very cool stuff...

Old 08 August 2005   #5
haaa awsome animation !!!
I recall seeing parts of it in your demoreel.
SPECTACULAR grand prize !

Last edited by zman : 08 August 2005 at 01:59 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #6
HAHAHA! That was hilarious! Great work!

Old 08 August 2005   #7
The animation of the character's nice, but I can't say I like the video itself; too many parts dragged out in the slow-motion and the Roadrunner-style joking is terribly cliché. To be very honest, for me it was dull rather as funny.

Sorry

Old 08 August 2005   #8
I have to agree with Parrot.

I liked the animation very much but a lot of jokes were too forced. The only jokes which I really liked because they where well executed were: when he drives through the woodwork and when he bangs his head against the branch (in slomo, causing him to flip).

I don't care if it's cliché, doesn't matter, but the rest of the jokes were not well executed to get the best laughs.

But...it looked very good and it was very well animated. Every single thing. The storytelling was better than most animations but it could have been a little bit better, just to juicen things up.

I smiled during the animation, but I rather would have laughed out loud!

Old 08 August 2005   #9
Originally Posted by The Parrot: The animation of the character's nice, but I can't say I like the video itself; too many parts dragged out in the slow-motion and the Roadrunner-style joking is terribly cliché. To be very honest, for me it was dull rather as funny.

Sorry

Sorry, but I have to agree on this. The slow-motion parts are really dragged out and used too often, this really kills the flow. The animation is fine though.

Old 08 August 2005   #10
Job well done

Hi guys, you did a very good job on this, the style is very nice and visually pleasing as well as the story. What it lucks in my opinion is the animation. It felt very slow and not as thought-out as the "Tex Avery_style" you were probably going for. There were some major issues with timing in my opinion in a lot of scenes, the movements should have been much quicker in order to get that emotion out of your character and make him alive. Adding a lot more closeups on his anger and frastation would make him stand out and be "THE DEVIL" than what it shows out now (just a puppet that runs after all souls in heaven).

Also when every sheep is lost (in the middle of the movie), there should be a close-up on his face with a cut and then cut again to his garage, than just dissolve there. And since I mentioned it..... Dissolves don't really work in this type of animation, it takes off all the climax you are creating during a scene. I'd say this could easily be a 2.30 min instead of 3.30 animation and you would get a much finer piece.

Other than that it's really a great job, very nice weighting,deformations and facial expressions, although not sure about that exacurated fall after he hits the tree's branch, he looks more like his size is increasing, which is not what you want, you need to keep your character's mass the same in order for that to work. I love it all, just it could have been so much better with a bit more work, animation (timing) & editing wise. Keep it up and good luck with your future work.

4 stars from me

Cheers mates,
Mike

Old 08 August 2005   #11
I think you guys wanted to demonstrate your technical and animation abilities rather than break new ground in storytelling - am I right?

I think you did a good job on the animation. It felt solid and well presented. I agree the slowmo bits were overused but thats a small crit.

The main thing is this peice demonstrates your abilities well

Well done!.

Old 08 August 2005   #12
Yeah, gotta agree here. The animation is okay and enjoyable, nothing that would make my jaw drop, but it was okay. The squash and stretch felt a little too much at times. Story-wise it was kinda the same old thing that we've seen a dozen times before with no real gags, no message, no feeling, no anything.

Technically, it's okay though.

Old 08 August 2005   #13
great job, pretty funny stuff. you should all be pretty proud.

Old 08 August 2005   #14
Hot stuff! (pun intended) I love your camera work. I remember checking this out in your demo reel and noticing the camera work. It really sets you apart from a lot of amateurs.

Great criticism has already been given to you. Cut the slow mo, and work on the timing of each gag. For instance, when the devil trips over the fence it could probably work a lot better if he trips, shakes it off, and then continues to run after the sheep. The funniest part about falling is the reaction to the fall and how they get up after a big spill.

Last edited by Bandicoot : 08 August 2005 at 04:31 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #15
WOW! Great work, friends! I have to agree, that working on this was more important than visiting me at my birthday-party! :P

Some of the animations are really fantastic! The sheeps rock!

I would have wished for a faster pacing too.

Anyways, you have outdone yourselves again!

Cheers!

Jan

Thread Closed share thread