Best Software

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
Best Software

I to all
I'm trying to learn what's the best software for compositing.
I use Cinema 4D and After effects but this (AE) it's only for graphics and I know there are a lot a sw that can be used more efficently.

1 - Fire, smoke, inferno, flint ... (I really don't know what's the difference between theese software)
2 - Shake or Motion
3 - Digital fusion

I work primary on pc but I have also max system
What's the best software for compositing?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english

Jk

My new Real Full Screen Site

Frameart.it
- Not only pizza and mandolino

08 August 2005
Well, first of all, I want to emphasize that it's not the software that makes a good composite--it's the understanding of light and color. All of these software packages have contributed to great shots in film and television, but one is not necessarily better than the other (although some are better in certain circumstances, and people will like some more than others).

Having said that, here's some additional info:

1. Fire and Smoke are more editing/finishing tools than compositing tools, so I don't suggest really doing any serious compositing on either of them. Combustion, Flint, Flame, and Inferno (and now Toxik) are all specifically compositing tools. Each has its own advantages, from the speed of an Inferno to the collaboration of Toxik. Combustion is probably the most commonly used, but that's probably because it can be run on smaller systems than say, an Inferno. It runs on a PC.

2. Shake is also specifically a compositing tool. It is also very widely used, and very fast. Motion is more of a motion graphics tool, so if I was doing any serious compositing, I'd go with Shake instead. Motion only runs on a Mac, but Shake runs on a Mac or a Linux machine.

3. Digital Fusion is a solid tool that is picking up in its industry usage. I've only used it a bit, but I know people who swear by it (and their work is good). It only runs on the PC.

Also, don't discount After Effects. While it's not my favorite package for compositing, you can really do some good work in it.

Well, I hope that starts you on the path you're looking for . . .

08 August 2005
Talking thats okay^__^!

Originally Posted by jasonkay: I to all
I'm trying to learn what's the best software for compositing.
I use Cinema 4D and After effects but this (AE) it's only for graphics and I know there are a lot a sw that can be used more efficently.

1 - Fire, smoke, inferno, flint ... (I really don't know what's the difference between theese software)
2 - Shake or Motion
3 - Digital fusion

I work primary on pc but I have also max system
What's the best software for compositing?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english

Jk

i think ur english is well.I didnt speak or write english a lot of time and enjoy improvin myself .We all can help each other to improve ^_^
and the software is well.too^-^ thax~

08 August 2005
thanks to all I understand perfectly

jk

My new Real Full Screen Site

Frameart.it
- Not only pizza and mandolino

08 August 2005
I'd have to say that After Effects is more of a motion graphics program. Where Shake and Combustion are better for compositing of elements. I cant speak towards the other software thats out there because I haven't used it.

And to the guy who is working on his english. The word well is an adverb. Meaning, it is used to describe verbs. Such as, "The dog runs well" or, "I work well." To describe a noun, you would use the word good. Such as, "He is a good guy" or, "Maya is a good program." Hope I didnt come off as being condescending, just thought it could help.

08 August 2005
jashaka is a really cool open source compositing app...it is nearly as powerful as shake, it does not have a fancy ui, but it is free and allows you to explore all the tools and techniques you need to develop as a compositor....id highly recommend it..

http://www.jahshaka.org/

08 August 2005
Enough of the "which is the best" questions... it doesn't really matter, great composites can be accomplished from After Effects to Inferno, it depends on the user. If you want to get into compositing I'd say to start with AE, it's fairly simple to use (like photoshop, just with keyframes), it's cheaper than the others, and you can do some powerful stuff. My weapon of choise is Digital Fusion but that's just a personal preference.

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by kane: jashaka is a really cool open source compositing app...it is nearly as powerful as shake, it does not have a fancy ui, but it is free and allows you to explore all the tools and techniques you need to develop as a compositor....id highly recommend it..

http://www.jahshaka.org/
I'm sorry but I have to laugh. Have you ever used Shake? Jahshaka isn't even complete enough to be as powerful as AE, let alone Shake. It is cool and has a lot of potential, but it is missing way too many tools to be production worthy.

If you want something to free though, it would be a good starting point.

08 August 2005
okay sure, perhaps its nearly as powerfula as shake is an extreme, but i would say that it is colser to the workflow of these high end apps than say aftereffects....thus if you wanna get into the industry and familarise yourself with the workflow of said high end compositors but dont have the cash to buy these packages using jashaka would be a better place to start...

a lot of the issues with jashaka simply require additions to the open source...and if you are part of that community we can all help implement them...then perhaps oneday it will be a rival to the bigger softs...

so apologies if i made it sound like a competitor to shake that was not my intention

08 August 2005
A lot of people seem to underestimate AE and what it can do. While I'm sure Shake excels in many areas over AE (per point feathering on masks, which drives me crazy), it still is a great tool. I've been compositing shots at 4K resolution at work in AE and it holds up pretty well.

08 August 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread