Texturing strategies: advice sought

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2005   #1
Texturing strategies: advice sought

Hi all. First post (be gentle).

I'm a level designer (Unreal Tournament 2k4) who's trying to add model building and texturing to the mix. I'd say I've moved from noobie to beginner in 3ds max and can make some decent base textures in PS.

Ok, here's my question.

I'm trying to create some basic house models for use in a level. I'd like to get reasonably detailed on the textures (trying to stretch myself a bit). For example, it's a plaster covered house and I'd like to create a texture with cracks around the windows and doors, etc.

I could unwrap the house but Ut2k4 has a limit of 1024x1024 for texture size and I notice you lose a lot of detail when you scale the textures up. I could make a texture for each side but this seems excessive. Is there some other strategy I'm missing? Online tutorials don't seem to cover situations like this, which leads me to believe I might be missing something really obvious.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

TIA

Old 07 July 2005   #2
If UT2k4 supports texture decals, all you have to do is create a good base texture, mirror it on all sides of the house, and then carefully place some chipped paint decals here and there.

Colt .45 XSI Video Tutorials

Old 07 July 2005   #3
Thanks for the reply.

Good suggestion. UT has a tool called "projectors" which are essentially decals. Unfortunately, I've always been told as a level designer to avoid getting too carried away with projectors as there's a performance hit.

Old 07 July 2005   #4
Yea, that's a fact, but a few carefully placed ones would work nicely. For instance you can leave one or two sides of the house with the base textures, and just add two different decals, one for each remaining side, big enough to see a difference.

Colt .45 XSI Video Tutorials

Old 07 July 2005   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread